New Prodigy

Thread: NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Days! NYNGD #2015-8

User Info Menu

Exclamation NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Days! NYNGD #2015-8

Welcome to Day 8 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Hi all! Thanks for the kind words and comments on yesterday's NYNGD #2015-7!

OK. So we're cranking now. So far we revealed a sparkly Albert Lee, three Axis Sports, three Silhouettes... How about a Silhouette Special?!? In Blue Dawn, how bout?

Sure! In keeping with the Sparkle Burst theme, today's NYNGD is a Silhouette Special with a Blue Dawn finish. Some interesting stuff here:

• This guitar's birthday is 9/11/2001. We all know what day that was. I lost several friends that day (as you know, I am located in the NYC area and work in NYC). Pretty heavy.

• I just received this guitar a couple days ago (my last purchase of 2015). I'd love to tell you how she sounds but she doesn't! It's setup with 3 EMG single coils. I was interested to hear her as soon as she arrived and... nothing. Yes, I replaced the battery. Yes, I made sure my lead is good and the amp is happening. So it looks like she needs to get opened up. Here's the thing, though. The seller included the original EBMM SSS assembly (complete with silent circuit). If I'm going to open it up, I'll probably just revert back to the EBMM setup. I prefer passives to EMGs. Why waste time?

• This will be my first SSS guitar. Ever.

• I never realized: The body of the Silhouette Special is NOT the same as the Silhouette! When I was cropping the photos in Photoshop, I used my Silhouette template and said, "WTF why isn't this body lining up? Do I need to rotate it?!? What did I do here?!?" Turns out when I hold it up to one of my Silhouettes it has shorter horns and the lower horn is turned in more. I guess since it has a 22-fret neck instead of 24-fret the cutaway didn't need to be as deep?

I'll let you know how she sounds once I get her making some sounds!

I'll be back tomorrow with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Past Days:
    #2015-1 | #2015-2 | #2015-3 | #2015-4 | #2015-5 | #2015-6 | #2015-7 | #2015-8 | #2015-9 | #2015-10 | #2015-11 | #2015-12 | #2015-13 | #2015-14 |
    #2015-1 | #2015-2 | #2015-3 | #2015-4 | #2015-5 | #2015-6 | #2015-7 | #2015-8 | #2015-9 | #2015-10 | #2015-11 | #2015-15 | #2015-16 | #2015-17
    #2014-1 | #2014-2 | #2014-3 | #2014-4 | #2014-5 | #2014-6 | #2014-7 | #2014-8 | #2014-9 | #2014-10
    #2013-1 | #2013-2 | #2013-3 | #2013-4 | #2013-5 | #2013-6
    #2012-1 | #2012-2 | #2012-3 | #2012-4 | #2012-5 | #2012-6 | #2012-7

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Last edited by dibart77; 12-31-2015 at 04:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice. I'd love that with a dual humbucker config but I'm sure that sounds great

User Info Menu

Damn that's hot!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I'm a sucker for the Silo Special (mine is mint green) and arrived in similar shape... mismatched singles and was able to get some incredibly good sounding pickups in it and love it... best of luck with the work under the hood... i'm sure she's going to sound just as good as she looks!!
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

what a nice one. Your taste in guitars is awesome and I really like, that you´re having many standard models like silo/silo spec, ASS and not just the high end ones with the bling and the maple tops (they´re cool too but I like the simple guitars).

Changing the EMGs to the standard Pups (as you have them) would be my way too
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

Nice! Blue Dawn for the win.
    2003 Luke Luke Blue signed twice by Lucious
    2007 Luke LE Blue Dawn signed by Lucious

User Info Menu

Blue Dawn still my favorite color after all these years.
    Black knobs and switch tip might be a nice move. Or white pickups?
    Too bad guitar cases aren't 'see thru'.

Other than a SLO factory walk thru and hang with the Balls, and maybe the R&R HOF, your collection along with its stories is probably my favorite musical world
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003

User Info Menu

Another killer guitar and a stellar finish!!!

I have a Blue Dawn Silo Spec - mine came with a charcoal pearl pick-guard, black pickups, knobs etc.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterd79 View Post
    best of luck with the work under the hood... i'm sure she's going to sound just as good as she looks!!
    Thanks man. I already opened her up. I don't know this active stuff too well but from what I can see everything looks OK... Need some more investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    Your taste in guitars is awesome and I really like, that you´re having many standard models like silo/silo spec, ASS and not just the high end ones with the bling and the maple tops (they´re cool too but I like the simple guitars).
    Thanks @banjoplayer. Although I DO have plenty with bling and amazing tops. But what I do look for is stuff that's not ho-hum. Not too into finding gloss black Silo's or run of the mill white or whatever. The Sapphire Black is the closest I come to "plain" because frankly I'd never seen one and was like, "Wow, that's nice!" But the next week you won't be so happy because we're heading in the direction of bling and Sucky Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by kbaim View Post
    Other than a SLO factory walk thru and hang with the Balls, and maybe the R&R HOF, your collection along with its stories is probably my favorite musical world
    I got one of those stories. Standby for 12/29, sir.

User Info Menu

Hi Jeff..don*t shortchange the emg*s..I have a Canadian brand from the 90*s, a one off from the man himself,with your set up,and the tones will make you a little weepy.I only wish that this guitar was a sil sp…you have a prize there..work it out ..they*re that good.What you*re doing on this forum is a real shot in the arm..tx.

User Info Menu

First S-S-S guitar ever. This is an epic day, indeed!

I love the blue dawn finish and I never knew that about the body differences. Thanks for the info.

2018 Axis - BFR - Buckeye Burl
    2017 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord - Tahitian Blue
    2017 StingRay 5 - 30th Anniversary - Buttercream
    2013 Albert Lee - BFR - Pinkburst
    2013 Luke III - PDN - emerald green sparkle with an all rosewood neck
    2012 Morse - BFR - Dark Lord
    2012 Axis - PDN - Honeyburst
    2011 Axis - BFR - Black Sugar Roasted
    2009 Axis - Pink Quilt (Oinky)
    2006 StingRay - 30th Anniversary fretless
    1996 StingRay - 20th Anniversary