Not electric until you plug it in

Thread: Why/when did the Floyd Rose on the Axis change?

User Info Menu

Why/when did the Floyd Rose on the Axis change?

My new Axis is out for delivery right now, and I've noticed that the FR bridge looks slightly different than the one on my Axis Tribute.

Do we know when/why this change was made? Also, what differences can I expect in terms of feel?

Thanks!
    2011 Axis Trans Orange

User Info Menu

Iliked the old gotoh, from the 90s and evh's best.

W.Suitor Guest
    So do I. Maybe I'm wrong but the fine tuners seem more substantial to grip, and they seem smoother in action too. I'm open to be convinced otherwise though, this is my own personal take only, there may be no foundation to what I'm suggesting!

User Info Menu

I have tributes and Evhs, when tuned down a half step I have found all my tributes go out of tune a bit. I had to set them up a certain way so they wouldn't. The Evhs bridge is much better, and smoother. My thoughts anyways.
    1993 Trans Red EBMM EVH
    1993 Sunburst EBMM EVH
    1995 Trans Blue EBMM EVH
    1993 Trans Green EBMM EVH
    1994 Trans Amber EBMM EVH
    1992 Trans Purple EBMM EVH
    2011 Trans Purple EBMM Tribute
    1993 Trans Pink EBMM EVH
    2011 Trans Pink EBMM Axis Tribute
    2011 Trans Black EBMM Axis Tribute
    2015 Polor Noir Majesty
    2001 Trans Blue EBMM Custom Made EBMM Axis Super Sport

User Info Menu

I have multiple Axis for this reason. Keep one in drop tuning and one in standard tuning... Besides, it was a good excuse to convince the Mrs. On why I needed multiples!

Flash

AXIS | 2012 | TRIBUTE | Purple
    AXIS | 2012 | PDN | Honeyburst
    AXIS | 2014 | PDN | BFR | Neptune Blue
    AXIS | 2014 | PDN | MM90 | Neptune Blue

AXIS | 2016 | PDN | Starry Night

SILO | 1996 | Trans Teal | Floyd Rose
    SILO Special | 2012 | PDN | Trem | Honeyburst
    20TH Anny SILO #1 | Hardtail
    20TH Anny SILO #2 | Hardtail

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson2112 View Post
    I have tributes and Evhs, when tuned down a half step I have found all my tributes go out of tune a bit. I had to set them up a certain way so they wouldn't. The Evhs bridge is much better, and smoother. My thoughts anyways.
    I knew it, i always thought those old evh and 90s axis gotohs were great, even up till about 2007 or 2010 maybe they were still pretty good. But the tribute bridges are not so great imho, and i havent tried the newest one, and am not even sure who makes them now. You can always get a gotoh and drop it in too, i also liked the old mounting posts, they seemed sturdier and bigger? They look better black then chrome too.