EBMM Stingray bass blue
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: JP15, few questions

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    JP15, few questions

    Hello folks!

    Noticed a couple of things related to my JP15, and wanted to check with you all regarding:

    1. I found that my low E intonation is a bit off. It's a teeny bit sharp (10 cents maybe) when fretted on the 12th fret, and I've already maxed out on the screw at the back of the bridge plate (its completely tight). Is this normal? I am using Guitar rig 5 for tuning, and it seems pretty accurate to me. Sound wise, it does sound in tune. The notes above the 12th fret do tend to get sharper. Same issue with my D string as well. I am playing with an action of around 1.5mm and I do have some relief in my neck. Does that contribute too?

    2. I've been trying to get used to 10's on this guitar and am having a slightly tough time. My hands start to stress out after an hour or two of playing (1.5 bends are hard to do). I've always played the hybrid slinky's (9's + 10's) on my other JP6, but have always had a string breaking or two from time to time, so I really want to try 10's. Is it because of my slightly high action? IMO, a low action does make it easier on the hands, but I get considerable noise between notes, which does not feel very comfortable to me.

    3. Can you guys give me some tips as to how to reduce the noise (don't know if there is a better term for this out there) in the notes when having a low action? What cable do you guys use? Are there any specific cables to help in reduce noise? Is it the playing? I have tried a noise reducer, but it does affect the sustain too.

    P.S:I ain't complainin', it's a fantastic guitar, and I completely love it . Maybe it's a phase where I'm learning to get the max out of this awesome equipment.

    Cheers.

    gT

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gurtejsingh View Post
    Hello folks!

    Noticed a couple of things related to my JP15, and wanted to check with you all regarding:

    1. I found that my low E intonation is a bit off. It's a teeny bit sharp (10 cents maybe) when fretted on the 12th fret, and I've already maxed out on the screw at the back of the bridge plate (its completely tight). Is this normal? I am using Guitar rig 5 for tuning, and it seems pretty accurate to me. Sound wise, it does sound in tune. The notes above the 12th fret do tend to get sharper. Same issue with my D string as well. I am playing with an action of around 1.5mm and I do have some relief in my neck. Does that contribute too?
    Could be the string, so try changing it for another. String too close to the pickups could do it too. Have you adjusted that at all? Fingering position is important too. A little too much pressure or sideways motion and we are bending the string sharp. Even with a perfectly setup guitar we don't play in tune. If it sounds fine to your ears, don't worry about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by gurtejsingh View Post
    2. I've been trying to get used to 10's on this guitar and am having a slightly tough time. My hands start to stress out after an hour or two of playing (1.5 bends are hard to do). I've always played the hybrid slinky's (9's + 10's) on my other JP6, but have always had a string breaking or two from time to time, so I really want to try 10's. Is it because of my slightly high action? IMO, a low action does make it easier on the hands, but I get considerable noise between notes, which does not feel very comfortable to me.
    Keep with the 10s. Your fingers don't get used to it quickly. Just keep playing regularly. Do a little and often rather than long sessions (three 30 minutes session with breaks in between is better than one long session). Some people do prefer higher action to facilitate bending. (If the action gets too low, I have great difficulty).

    Quote Originally Posted by gurtejsingh View Post
    3. Can you guys give me some tips as to how to reduce the noise (don't know if there is a better term for this out there) in the notes when having a low action? What cable do you guys use? Are there any specific cables to help in reduce noise? Is it the playing? I have tried a noise reducer, but it does affect the sustain too.
    It's in the playing. If the noise is string noise the only way to keep it quiet is your technique. Using fingers and hands to keep the unwanted strings quiet as we play is part of our craft as guitarists when paying with high gain. Different cables will not help.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


    An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    1. guitar rig is not accurate at all believe me, so you can relax ) not even my axe FX is not very accurate or my korg tuner when compared to my TC electronic tuner
    2. it's a preference thing but having some problems with the hands there are now 4-5 years since I use only 9-46 and love it
    can easily bend, tension is great, low strings are tight enough
    3. I've told you my opinion and I will repeat it ...playing through Guitar rig + headphones is not a good reference point.
    if you can't consider an amp because might be too loud for where you live then AXE FX + studio monitors is the top and only top solution ) for apartment and for live
    A friend of mine has the mark V - 25 W + recto cab 1X12 and love that in the room sound and sounds pretty badass even at low volume level
    I have also the 11 rack which is a great unit for the price now - new on ebay around 350$ - you can import one from US and still is a great price after shipping + taxes.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Could be the string, so try changing it for another. String too close to the pickups could do it too. Have you adjusted that at all? Fingering position is important too. A little too much pressure or sideways motion and we are bending the string sharp. Even with a perfectly setup guitar we don't play in tune. If it sounds fine to your ears, don't worry about it.
    Thank you so much as always Dr.Kev!

    I've tried carefully to fret the 12th fret with picking light, and placing my finger softly, yet there is a approx. 10 cent difference. It sounds fine to me by ear, so I am not too worried about that. When you say : 'String too close to the pickups could do it too. Have you adjusted that at all?', what exactly do you mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Keep with the 10s. Your fingers don't get used to it quickly. Just keep playing regularly. Do a little and often rather than long sessions (three 30 minutes session with breaks in between is better than one long session). Some people do prefer higher action to facilitate bending. (If the action gets too low, I have great difficulty).
    I agree, 10's sound and feel better in playing and I am trying to get used to them. Will try out your technique


    Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    It's in the playing. If the noise is string noise the only way to keep it quiet is your technique. Using fingers and hands to keep the unwanted strings quiet as we play is part of our craft as guitarists when paying with high gain. Different cables will not help.
    Hmmm.. I try a lot to mute the other strings while playing, and with the same technique the noise is gone when the action is higher. Is it fret buzz that I am hearing. On a side how, what does fret buzz sound like coming through an amp? It's been said so many times, but is there an actual audio example where I can hear what fret buzz sounds like through the amp ??

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PaoloGilberto View Post
    1. guitar rig is not accurate at all believe me, so you can relax ) not even my axe FX is not very accurate or my korg tuner when compared to my TC electronic tuner
    2. it's a preference thing but having some problems with the hands there are now 4-5 years since I use only 9-46 and love it
    can easily bend, tension is great, low strings are tight enough
    3. I've told you my opinion and I will repeat it ...playing through Guitar rig + headphones is not a good reference point.
    if you can't consider an amp because might be too loud for where you live then AXE FX + studio monitors is the top and only top solution ) for apartment and for live
    A friend of mine has the mark V - 25 W + recto cab 1X12 and love that in the room sound and sounds pretty badass even at low volume level
    I have also the 11 rack which is a great unit for the price now - new on ebay around 350$ - you can import one from US and still is a great price after shipping + taxes.
    Good points there man, yes I agree Guitar Rig is not the best thing, but it's quick to plug in and I don't use it that often. I have a POD HD 500 + Studio monitors, but that also sort of reproduces the noise that I am talking about. It could be my playing IMO. Will to work on an audio sample for you to hear. AXE FX is fantastic, but it's considerably out of my range right now after buying a JP15, I'm literally broke at the moment :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums