Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks

Thread: AX40 vs AX40D question

User Info Menu

AX40 vs AX40D question

Been searching for an AX40D and came across one however looking for a way to confirm.

A prior search brought up a result from here that said:

- AX40 had rectangular routing for the pickups as...
    - the AX40 pickups have rectangular feet
    - AX40d had triangular routes and pickup feet

Now the guitar I came across has rectangular feet and routing but the pickup itself has a sticker on the back that says AXIS-F. No DiMarzio casing or markings.

The seller was told this was a D by the prior owner.

Now to complicate it further I have seen a new D listed that had rectangular routes. Did SBMM perhaps pull back stock to put the DiM pickups but then used the original casings?

Is there any true definitive way to confirm a D on a guitar with rectangular routing?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Would that be just the regular ax40 and the axis -f just means its a f-spaced pickup. My ax40d has rectangular routes but the pickups have triangular feet.
    Gio

Steve Morse Y2D with Floyd Rose
    2015 PDN Steve Morse Y2D
    Depurple burst y2d
    Blueburst Steve Morse standard
    Purple Sterling AX40D
    and a bunch of guitars I don't really play anymore

User Info Menu

The guitar in question had rectangular on both. I can upload a pic if needed. I too thought F spaced or front. But why the AXIS on the label?

User Info Menu

AX40 vs AX40D question-image-jpgAX40 vs AX40D question-image-jpg

User Info Menu

I don't think those are Dimarzio pickups. They look like the Sterling pickups that were used before the switch to Dimarzios. Still a good sounding pickup.

Ben

User Info Menu

Thanks. Guy wrote me back apologetic. He confirmed with EBMM this is a standard AX40.

User Info Menu

Fake!!!! Fake!!!! Fake!!!! Run from it! The real ones say dimarzio B1 and N2 , but some real early ax40d s have the rectangular routes with the real axis pickups, Brian from sterling told me, they then started with the new routes.

User Info Menu

But those pickups are fake!