Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fretboard cleaner

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UziPop View Post
    Hi Guys,

Pleas help . I have Sting Ray V with maple fingerboard without lacquer painting. I'd like to clean fingerboard and don't wanna to destroy it. Can you tell me what can i use to clean and how to clean? Don't wanna use lemon oil because i,ve heard that darkned color of maple fingerboard.
    AFAIK you should not use wonder wipes nor lemon oil on a maple fretboard. I would just use a dry (polishing) cloth to clean a maple board.
    my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

my 1st EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental prog metal)

User Info Menu

The lemon oil thing can get confusing so, this is who I understand it...

On UNFINISHED maple boards (i.e. no lacquer or varnish) and also e.g. rosewood or ebony...

Lemon oil has been recommended for years by many many people and manufacturers alike. It would seem that it CAN be used safely BUT if people use too much and let it soak in which could damage the finish or glues and or cause corrosion. Martin guitars do not recommend lemon oil for this reason (you'll find in their FAQ).

However, when EBMM formulated the Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner they chose orange oil, rather than lemon oil for this reason. See here, post #15 by Beth (who was EBMM CS at the time)...

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ba...tml#post528329

But, as I said many people have happily used lemon oil for years and EBMM used to use it in the factory (Old English, IIRC). Just remember - only use the minimum amount necessary. Re-treat if needed rather than using a lot in one go.

On FINISHED maple boards (i.e. varnished or lacquered), clean the finger board as you would the rest of the neck (because it's the same finish).

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by DrKev; 01-28-2017 at 06:10 AM.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, Kev.
    I thought maple boards are always lacquered, hence my post above. I didn't know that there's also unfinished maple boards.
    my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

my 1st EP 'Sonic Sketches' is out now (instrumental prog metal)

User Info Menu

Before the Cutlass and Stingray guitars, almost all maple board EBMMs are unfinished (with one or two exceptions, like the first roasted maple limited edition).

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

I've done so much research (online and in the trenches) over the years about the lemon oil debate and DrKev speaks the truth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Before the Cutlass and Stingray guitars, almost all maple board EBMMs are unfinished (with one or two exceptions, like the first roasted maple limited edition).
    Forgot all about that run...was that the Black Sugar one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart View Post
    Forgot all about that run...was that the Black Sugar one?
    I think it was.