Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Silent Circuit

Thanks. The bottom line (which is what I was after) is that the guitar will not produce sound without a battery. I understand the decision but not sure I could be cool with that.

Quote Originally Posted by drewbixcubed View Post
    Music Man's proprietary unity gain buffer, which is implemented after the controls, transparently drives the instrument's signal at a low impedance. This ensures any use of poor quality cables, effects, or other accessories in the signal chain do not negatively effect the pickup's tone.
    Is this buffer also in the Valentine? There's no output without the battery, so I guess so.

So does the battery just need to be installed or must it have life? Will the guitar output sound with a dead battery?
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    Will the guitar output sound with a dead battery?
    No

I just received a new Valentine. It sounds amazing... but in single coil situations(either bridge or split neck) I do get a bit of noise. Not a lot... but enough to hear the difference between those and the unspilt humbucker... even without much gain. Just curious as to if that is normal?

Also... I can't find any documentation on how to adjust the silent circuit or the volume boost.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Just to clear things up regarding the Cutlass electronics.....

The new silent circuit utilizes our patented design which maintains traditional passive wiring between the custom wound Music Man pickups and the instrument's volume and tone controls. The added benefits of the new design provide superior noise canceling and equips the pickup to perform at its utmost potential.

Music Man's proprietary unity gain buffer, which is implemented after the controls, transparently drives the instrument's signal at a low impedance. This ensures any use of poor quality cables, effects, or other accessories in the signal chain do not negatively effect the pickup's tone.

As a result, the Cutlass delivers the clearest possible signal to any rig.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieZ View Post
    I just received a new Valentine. It sounds amazing... but in single coil situations(either bridge or split neck) I do get a bit of noise. Not a lot... but enough to hear the difference between those and the unspilt humbucker... even without much gain. Just curious as to if that is normal?
    I have not compared the new and the old circuits side by side but with the old one in my Silhouette Special, the noise is a little more than half of what it would be without the silent circuit (yeah, I know, terribly subjective guessurement). But it cannot do a 100% perfect job by virtue of basic physics and the size, shape, and position of the silent circuit unit vs the pickups. The same is true is of any of the other systems on the market, they can't remove all noise completely.
    Last edited by DrKev; 10-13-2016 at 02:19 AM.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Ok thank you. Not complaining at all... this guitar sounds like a dream. I just wanted to make sure it was functioning properly.
    The singles are so sweet that it's worth just a hint of noise in exchange for not losing any of that tone.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    I have not compared the new and the old circuits side by side but with the old one in my Silhouette Special, the noise is a little more than half of what it would be without the silent circuit (yeah, I know, terribly subjective guessurement). But it cannot do a 100% perfect job by virtue of basic physics and the size, shape, and position of the silent circuit unit vs the pickups. The same is true is of any of the other systems on the market, they can't remove all noise completely.

Just to clear things up regarding the Cutlass electronics.....

The new silent circuit utilizes our patented design which maintains traditional passive wiring between the custom wound Music Man pickups and the instrument's volume and tone controls. The added benefits of the new design provide superior noise canceling and equips the pickup to perform at its utmost potential.

As a result, the Cutlass delivers the clearest possible signal to any rig.
    So if the buffer is placed after the controls it should be able to be bypassed, possibly on a switch? I would love to have it switchable and most of the time I would prefer it to be off. Has anyone done this modification either here or for an artist etc?

-Frank
    EBMM Stingray black
    EBMM Cutlass vintage turquoise
    Other stuff

After playing with my Cutlass a little more I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter because it sounds FREAKING AMAZING!!
    EBMM Stingray black
    EBMM Cutlass vintage turquoise
    Other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by frankencat View Post
    After playing with my Cutlass a little more I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter because it sounds FREAKING AMAZING!!
    Aaaand the penny drops!
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.