Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Silent Circuit

New Silent Circuit

Does it require the use of a battery or is it entirely optional like the original silent circuit.

Someone did a test on theirs and there is no sound if the battery is removed....so a battery is required with the new system.

I don't know anything about the new SC ... though I am very curious. Has it changed in the passive instruments? Or is it just for the newer ones that have on-board preamps (buffers & boosts)? Obviously you can't remove the power source if the output is buffered.

The new silent system is buffered as well as noise reducing. So all of the new single coil guitars that use this new silent circuit have the buffering as well.

The original Silent Circuit is buffered- it's a dummy coil buffered by an op-amp, so there's no load on the pickups. Without a battery, noise reduction doesn't work but you'll still get a signal from the guitar.

Whereas the new guitars have the signal (and not just the noise reduction signal) buffered- which is a different thing. You can't do that without a battery.

So - as a new owner of a delightful Cutlass, in an effort to understand, I must ask, is there a downside to the buffered output?

Personally - I use a wireless guitar system (Shure GLX-D) which runs thru 5 true-bypass pedals into the front of the amp. I use good quality patch cable (Evidence Monorail) and good quality cable to the front of the amp and thru the loop.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post
    So - as a new owner of a delightful Cutlass, in an effort to understand, I must ask, is there a downside to the buffered output?

Personally - I use a wireless guitar system (Shure GLX-D) which runs thru 5 true-bypass pedals into the front of the amp. I use good quality patch cable (Evidence Monorail) and good quality cable to the front of the amp and thru the loop.
    I would be curious as well, I dont play out or in a band but since my new Cutlass will be here Friday want to know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    I would be curious as well, I dont play out or in a band but since my new Cutlass will be here Friday want to know what to expect.
    I took the day off this past Monday and set my full-gig rig up and tried it all and I didn't notice anything concerning - I just don't understand about buffer's and so forth, so trying to educate myself !!
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

It's completely possible. There have been a few people reporting that it didn't play nice with some of their pedals. Specifically of the fuzz/overdrive variety. With a wireless unit I don't think it will make a bit of difference. As beej described the new units have the signal buffered so removing the battery from the cutlass will also make it not work which is very different from the last silent circuit.

I've read some stories about certain pedals not playing well with fuzz pedals - with no experience there, I am really not sure what to expect. Maybe its buffered pedals early in the chain.

What happens? Does the fuzz get ugly sounding or noisy?
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Some fuzz pedals won't work well when fed by a low impedance signal. There are gadgets out there than you can put in front of a fuzz to fix that, should it be a problem.

Personally I like the idea of an onboard buffer- it fixes a bunch of problems.

Just to clear things up regarding the Cutlass electronics.....

The new silent circuit utilizes our patented design which maintains traditional passive wiring between the custom wound Music Man pickups and the instrument's volume and tone controls. The added benefits of the new design provide superior noise canceling and equips the pickup to perform at its utmost potential.

Music Man's proprietary unity gain buffer, which is implemented after the controls, transparently drives the instrument's signal at a low impedance. This ensures any use of poor quality cables, effects, or other accessories in the signal chain do not negatively effect the pickup's tone.

As a result, the Cutlass delivers the clearest possible signal to any rig.
    "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Albert Einstein

Sounds like interesting technology.
    SBMM JV60 w/flame roasted maple neck/dealer split HB upgrade S/N SG34682
    Vox VT20+
    Zoom G3X
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

Quote Originally Posted by drewbixcubed View Post
    Just to clear things up regarding the Cutlass electronics.....

The new silent circuit utilizes our patented design which maintains traditional passive wiring between the custom wound Music Man pickups and the instrument's volume and tone controls. The added benefits of the new design provide superior noise canceling and equips the pickup to perform at its utmost potential.

Music Man's proprietary unity gain buffer, which is implemented after the controls, transparently drives the instrument's signal at a low impedance. This ensures any use of poor quality cables, effects, or other accessories in the signal chain do not negatively effect the pickup's tone.

As a result, the Cutlass delivers the clearest possible signal to any rig.
    Awesome what I was hoping to hear!! Will find out tomorrow what it is all about

Thank you Drew - awesome info!!!

Sweat_should be an exciting day!!!!
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook