Mega Primo Mammoth
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Majesty Truss Rod

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Majesty Truss Rod

    Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to look this over.

    I've had a Majesty 7 string for about a year and a half now. I've had it setup and its a wonderful guitar; however I notice that I have to adjust the truss rod pretty frequently, probably once every 1 to 2 weeks. The relief difference is substantial. I know I don't have my guitar stored in any crappy conditions that could affect it, (humidity, temp etc.) so I'm just wondering not only if other people have experienced this problem as well, but also what can be done about it?

    Thanks for the help in advance.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Not Majestys, but my other EBMMs, I adjust some of them almost every time I play them.
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

    MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Especially here in Virginia where the weather is up and down, I continually adjust the rods on my guitars.
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

    https://twitter.com/timcaesar

    http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Here in northern California recently with rain, no rain, wind, rain, warm, wind, rain... it's been interesting to see how the necks constantly have changed.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bforber View Post
    I'm just wondering not only if other people have experienced this problem as well, but also what can be done about it?

    It's not a problem and you can adjust your truss rod whenever it needs adjusting. Simple!
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


    An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    of course I am not an expert, but I would "blame" the mahogany neck.
    I've read that mahogany compared to maple is about 1/2 as strong and stable and I would have to agree based on my experience so far.
    I received my Majesty around 6 weeks ago and I've noticed the same thing you mention even I keep the humidity pretty constant around 45-50 % in that room.
    My other JPs with maple neck never had this problem I usually adjusted the truss rod on them around 2-3 times per year.
    same for the JP7 that I still own now - I adjust the truss rod in the winter and then when the spring comes.
    on Majesty I see changes from from one day to the next, regarding the neck relief
    Quote Originally Posted by bforber View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to look this over.

    I've had a Majesty 7 string for about a year and a half now. I've had it setup and its a wonderful guitar; however I notice that I have to adjust the truss rod pretty frequently, probably once every 1 to 2 weeks. The relief difference is substantial. I know I don't have my guitar stored in any crappy conditions that could affect it, (humidity, temp etc.) so I'm just wondering not only if other people have experienced this problem as well, but also what can be done about it?

    Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by PaoloGilberto; 02-18-2016 at 01:11 AM.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    A few of my EBMM need frequent tweaks and some only require a season adjustment.

    As PaoloGilberto said - the mahogany neck models seem to be less stable the maple - but it is so easy to adjust.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    How do rosewood necks compare to maple then? Ive only ever made small tweaks to my EBMM'S over the years, some i havent had to adjust for years, my sub5 bass been one of them (which was sadly traded in the other day to make way for my silo special). Its to be expected with seasonal changes but id be a bit concerned if it was once every few weeks.
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    I have to adjust my L3 with the rosewood neck several times a year - just seasonal. We have extreme's in Ohio - winters can be cold and dry, and summers are usually muggy.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Hey Guys,
    I feel the need to chime in here on this topic. Making an adjustment on a guitars truss rod is no big deal. I would equate it to checking the air in your tires or oil in the engine... Sometimes you have to add a little oil or add/ subtract some air. It is general maintenance that needs to be done in order for you guitar to play it's best. I sometimes have to do truss rod adjustments several times a day depending on the venue and weather. Adjust and play.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tekwerk View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I feel the need to chime in here on this topic. Making an adjustment on a guitars truss rod is no big deal. I would equate it to checking the air in your tires or oil in the engine... Sometimes you have to add a little oil or add/ subtract some air. It is general maintenance that needs to be done in order for you guitar to play it's best. I sometimes have to do truss rod adjustments several times a day depending on the venue and weather. Adjust and play.
    Several times a day? Ive played for over 20 years, always done my own set ups and repairs and ive never had the need to adjust a truss rod that much. You are right, it is no big deal but only if you know what youre doing. Why do you feel the need to adjust a truss rod that often?

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    My ALHH Rosewood neck is the least stable of all the EBMM guitars I own, and being a stiffer wood takes longest to react to changes. The maple ones seem to react straight away. In the extremes of winter and summer, I tend to adjust almost before every show.
    Red Axis Hardtail
    Sunburst Axis Hardtail with Rosewood fingerboard
    Green Sparkly Axis Super Sport Hardtail
    Purple EVH Hardtail
    Coral Red Albert Lee HH Hardtail
    Zoom G5n
    Pie

    https://twitter.com/timcaesar

    http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Caesar5150

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    I still find it amazing that John Petrucci's tech drops by to share some knowledge in an ordinary thread such as this... This forum never ceases to amaze me! Good luck on this leg of the tour Maddi! (Also on the next ones of course!)

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steevo View Post
    You are right, it is no big deal but only if you know what youre doing. Why do you feel the need to adjust a truss rod that often?
    The answer to this question is "back of a truck to large empty building to hot sweaty building, repeat multiple times per week for a few months at a stretch..."

    Quote Originally Posted by AgustinJP50 View Post
    I still find it amazing that John Petrucci's tech drops by to share some knowledge in an ordinary thread such as this... This forum never ceases to amaze me! Good luck on this leg of the tour Maddi! (Also on the next ones of course!)
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


    An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    The answer to this question is "back of a truck to large empty building to hot sweaty building, repeat multiple times per week for a few months at a stretch..."
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums