Ultra Burly

Thread: LK100D Stability

User Info Menu

LK100D Stability

Hey Guys-

I've reached out to SBMM Customer Service but wanted to reach out to you guys as well to get your thoughts. I do not believe this to be a quality control issue which is why i feel comfortable asking here as well.

I've setup the LK100D with Regular Slinky 10s and checked the setup as suggested by the SBMM website. I'm (in my opinion) spot on... i don't have any problems intonation the guitar and she plays like a dream - currently shares the numero uno spot with my silo special. This thing is just amazing...
    Here's my "problem" when i use the tremolo on my Silo Special i go right back to pitch and don't even notice any detune at all...
    when i use the tremolo on my LK100D i notice a slight detune - so i adjust the tuning and then when i use it again i'm either sharp or flat depending on which direction i go with the trem arm.

I've double checked the nut and i'm not sticking there... i'm double checked the intonation and were spot on...
    i've checked the bolts on the neck to make sure they weren't loose (two were slightly loose but wouldn't consider it to be soo bad that it would throw it out) but they are all tightened now and still get a little variance between sharp, flat and perfect...

is there anything i should check or do to make it more stable - and once again i'm not thing full steps out of tune were talking minimal but still noticeable enough to ask.

thanks guys....
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

Big Bends Nut Sauce. Put some in the nut slots, on the saddles underneath the strings, and on the trem posts where they contact the bridge. Problem should be noticeably improved. Stuff is a must have for me at this point. Great product.

User Info Menu

I'm with Brick. Make sure the slots and saddles are smooth and fit for the correct gauge. Also make sure the ball ends on the strings aren't slipping, and that the tremolo is only contacting the posts and not any part of the body.

The tuning should be almost rock solid.
    Last edited by PeteDuBaldo; 02-26-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Totally agree with both. Even though it might seem like nothing is binding it's a good idea to lubricate the nut and check the bridge where the ball ends go into the bridge.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

Another recommendation I'll make is to try the RPS Ernie Ball strings. They do make them in the 10's so you'll be at the exact same gauge, just a more reinforced ball end on strings 1, 2 and 3. Please EB never stop making the RPS strings.

User Info Menu

Its not a quality control issue because ive noticed my silhouette special has the same problem. Its something ive got to get round to sorting but its by no means anything to do with quality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

User Info Menu

Ive sorted mine now.
    When i got the guitar the bridge was set flat against the body with the trem claw screws screwed in so there was no movement in the trem. Having loosened them off and setting the trem to float i realise now that i didnt raise the trem posts high enough for the bridge to avoid contact with the body. Having raised the posts around a quarter of a turn the trem not only returns exactly to pitch but is much lighter to use.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

User Info Menu

Hey everyone! my lk100d came with the bridge almost decked. Ive set the guitar to float (one and a half step on the G string) and the stability improved a lot.

Do you guys recommend using two or the three springs that came installed from factory?.
    Sterling LK100D owner.
    Sterling SUB Ray 4 owner.

User Info Menu

Friday Bump.
    Sterling LK100D owner.

User Info Menu

Anyone?.
    Sterling LK100D owner.

User Info Menu

You can use either 2 springs or 3, it's personal preference based on how the setup works for you. For me I find that either 2 or 3 springs works fine with 9s, and 3 springs works best with 10s.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band