Not electric until you plug it in

Thread: 2007 Luke BFR Pickup Swap - Connector/Wiring Question

User Info Menu

2007 Luke BFR Pickup Swap - Connector/Wiring Question

Hi Guys -
    I'm thinking about swapping out the EMG 85 from my 2007 sparkle back Luke for an EMG HA (single coil in a HB package). Long story, so I won't go into why - but I'm wondering what I'll find if I pull out the 85. Did EMG use their quick connectors back then? The rest of the components are hardwired, but I have heard that the pickups may not be. I haven't removed the strings or ordered the HA yet, and frankly I'm hesitant to do anything permanent since the guitar is so rare (and mint). Any definite info before I take the strings off and pop out the pickup to look?

Thanks!
    Mike
    2016 PDN Starry Night Cutlass (Natural Headstock)
    2010 Barolo JPX (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2007 Bahama Blue Sparkle Back BFR Luke (GC Exclusive)
    2007 Blue Dawn LE JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2006 Dargie Delight I Luke (No Piezo, Natural Headstock)
    2005 Sapphire Black JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)

User Info Menu

I don't think any of the EMGs that EBMM use have the quick connectors. I could be wrong though!
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

Mikey, when I got the Luke pups, they came with the solderless connections from EMG. EMG has really nice wiring packages and do a lot of quick disconnect stuff. Now granted, I did get them a few years ago and just haven't put them in, but it's on my list of things to do for my Silo Special.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I did see a post on another forum where someone was selling an 85 'removed from a MM Luke' - and it clearly had the quick disconnect. I'm guessing that at least the pups have them in the latest Lukes. I'm just trying to figure out if my older Luke would have had them.

Mike

User Info Menu

For those who are interested, I took my Luke apart last night and the pickups do have the quick connectors on them. All other connections are hardwired.

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVt View Post
    For those who are interested, I took my Luke apart last night and the pickups do have the quick connectors on them. All other connections are hardwired.

Mike
    Mikey, you gonna wire some in? Make life easier for you later on?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"

User Info Menu

Nope ....don't want to cut or solder. If this were any other Luke, I'd be all over it. I just don't want to damage this one. Just going to pop out the 85 and drop in an HA. I'll let you know what I think. Should be here later this week.

Mike

User Info Menu

Looking forward to seeing how this goes have been contemplating doing the same.
    Musicman Luke BFR Bahama Blueburst, Sparkle Back (03/07/07) (1 of 10 signed by Luke)
    Musicman LIII BFR Blueberry Burst
    Musicman LIII Bodhi Blue
    Musicman Y2D

User Info Menu

I'll let you know. HA arrives on Fri...
    Mike

User Info Menu

Following up. The HA arrived today and I installed it. The connector was fine, but the new screws were longer, with finer threads and a smaller diameter. Rather than force fitting the new screws into the Luke body, I elected to drill out the pickup threads so I could use the old screws. Worked fine.

On the result, it did get me MUCH closer to the 'Strat in Luke's Clothing' that I was going for, but it's still not quite there. Keep in mind, I don't want to do anything irreversible to my Luke. The problem is output level. The SLVs in the center and neck positions are overwound and higher output than the HA. The volume difference is noticeable when I switch to position 5. It also screws up the tone a bit in position 4. So, I've decide to try one more thing. I ordered 2 SAs to replace the SLVs. Since the HA is supposed to be an SA in a humbucker housing, I'm hoping the SAs will help equalize the tone.

For what it's worth, the SA in the HA appears to be mounted diagonally within the housing - so it should help with reproducing the Strat sound.

Although not really done, I am happy with results so far.

Mike