New banner

Thread: Dimarzio Illuminators vs JP Custom pickups, opinions and thoughts needed

User Info Menu

Dimarzio Illuminators vs JP Custom pickups, opinions and thoughts needed

I'm just looking for a little feedback on both of these sets. Can anyone give me their thoughts or opinions of them in comparison to one another? Many thanks~!

User Info Menu

I'd gladly take anyone's feedback on any of these sets.

User Info Menu

Owned JP13 and JP6 original. The former has a clear mid range and bell-ringing bright high w/o sizzle, low is tight. While the latter has tons of low end, neck is mellow, and the bridge is a high mid monster.

So to me, it's between clinical hifi like clarity with better clean and raw original sound with more output power of DT best era. YMMV.
    Last edited by vanishedbend; 04-07-2016 at 12:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a old jp6 with the first pickups and imo they are the best sounding metal pickups i have ever heard. The bridge pickup is just outstanding.
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

Both are great pickups... To me it comes down to clarity, dynamics and tightness/focus (illuminators) vs. high compression, fat lows and somewhat of a dark growl (original PUs).
    2007 EBMM JP6 - Sapphire Black

User Info Menu

I have only heard the Illuminators in a JP13 which has an active pre-amp and a solo boost, so it's hard to tell what they might sound like in another guitar. It seems like the Illuminators were designed to be a pickup with an even tone that will interact well with the active electronics.
    Where's your Majesty?

User Info Menu

Used to have a JP7 with the original pickups. They're fantastic and if you can find a set I would get them asap. I recently picked up (pun ha) a 6 string set for a good price on another forum. The Illuminators are a much brighter pickup and maybe a little bit tighter. Can't go wrong with either set honestly since both are very versatile.
    Last edited by katsumura78; 04-10-2016 at 02:55 PM.
    Majesty 6 Kinetic Blue
    Majesty 7 Majestic Purple
    PRS Custom 24-08
    Axe Fx III, invective 120
    EBMM JPXI 7 (Stolen http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...y-area-fl.html)

User Info Menu

I had the original pickups in my JP6 BFR (circa 2010) and I personally felt they were too aggressive. They did not last long and I swapped them out for some medium output DiMarzios after a few weeks. It has been years since I played them, but that is my memory.

I generally do not care for higher output pickups, but I LOVE the Illuminators in my Majesties. I usually dial the volume knob back a bit to clean up the tone. They are clear, chimey, articulate. And if I want more aggression, I roll the volume knob up full (or engage the boost, LOL) and they get louder and angrier without any loss of focus or clarity. Amazing pickups!
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP