Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks

Thread: Axis String Height Question

User Info Menu

Axis String Height Question

I know there are some posts about it but i want to ask fellow members what is their action measured in 12th - 17th - 22th fret in their Axis (Floyd).

I am trying to do the optimal setup and i need to decide if i have to shim the neck or remove the shim and remove the FLoyd base...(by the way on those new floyds can you remove the base plate?)

For your info i can barely slide a 1.5mm pick in the 12th fret. After the 12th fret the action gets somewhat higher....

User Info Menu

Hi! Did you ever get this resolved? I'm combing thru the Forum today, because I'm having the same exact issue. Everything seems to be in spec across the 12th fret. (3/64 to 4/64). As I go beyond the 12 fret to the higher frets, the action gets a bit too high for my liking. Trem is level and flush to the body (retainer plate). Neck is basically straight with very little relief. Is this the typical scenario for when a lower neck pocket shim is needed?

User Info Menu

Hi! You inspired me to do a quick video...

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Thanks DrKev! That was informative and clarifying.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Hi DrKev!

Thanks for the info and your time, effort, and willingness to address this phenomenon! In
    looking at your first diagram, I see what you're saying in regards to the
    "straight" neck. It makes sense that if we have two fixed points (nut and saddle)
    with two straight "lines" between them which are NOT parallel, that the distance
    between these "lines" will increase as the trajectory continues. I had not previously
    considered this in regards to my guitar.

In looking at your second diagram, it makes sense to me how providing a bit more neck
    relief will minimize the DIFFERENCE between lower frets and higher frets.
    Here's the dilemma I'm having currently. I LOVE the way my Axis plays up to about
    fret 15. I gain about 1/64" from the 12th fret to the 15th-17th. In reference to your
    first diagram, I can understand why this phenomenon occurs now. HOWEVER, it seems like
    we're on a see-saw here....trade-offs and sacrifices, correct? If I introduce more
    relief to minimize the string height *difference* between the 12th fret and the 15th,
    I've also created more distance now between the lower frets and the string, where I'm
    currently very pleased.

Is there a "best of both worlds" achievable? My thoughts (though perhaps
    shortsighted) were to slightly elevate the neck (via shim) at the bottom of the neck
    pocket, thereby offsetting this difference that occurs when necks have very little
    relief. Making the "lines" a bit more parallel, if you will. Just to reiterate, I
    have WONDERFUL action (for me) until the higher frets and no buzzing issues. I also have
    zero experience with shimming, so I was curious if this was the "answer."

Concluding this novel (LOL!), I have to mention that I THOUGHT I had this issue resolved
    several weeks ago. I had made adjustments that kept the action lower on the higher frets,
    and felt great everywhere else too. What was the trade-off? It seriously affected my
    tone. My tone went thin, and I lost the "balls" due to the new string/pickup
    proximity. As we all know, the pickup height on the Axis is not adjustable, or I would've lowered my pickups and called it a day. Sooooo, is this all about trade-offs, or is there a way to achieve my idea of the perfect setup?

User Info Menu

It's all trade-offs. Guitars are always a compromise because reality and physics get in the way. You can't have perfectly low action all over the neck and no fret buzz. You can't have clarity of tone that high action and high tension gives gives and have low action-like playability. The only way to have completely consistent string height over the whole neck is either a stupidly high nut that will totally mess up intonation and playability on the lower frets or have low buzzy action everywhere. And even in between all these extremes what works for one person may not be to somebody else's liking. Somebody with a feather-light touch can get away with low action where a more aggressive player would be crazy with string buzz.

Remember one thing though - when we are doing setups we hyper focus on tiny buzzes and noises and all sort of stuff that we don't notice when we actually play music. Don't drive yourself crazy by chasing a non-existent perfect. You bought a guitar to play music. Put the tools away, go and play, come back and adjust later if you need to.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Wow Kev, nice job!!! Thanx ever soo much, great deep description.

Hey, where's you get the shirt, never seen that one before.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!!"