Mariposa Green

Thread: My body is cracking!

User Info Menu

My body is cracking!

These little cracks are getting bigger and I'm not sure why they are occurring. I am very good to my instrument and keep it in its case in a humidity controlled environment. I don't do any weird tricks where i bend the neck off the body to get vibrato, so I have no idea why this is happening! This is my dream guitar please help!

As you can see the cracks are on the body on both sides of the neck...

-Will

User Info Menu

They are stress cracks- not uncommon in that same spot. If you're really concerned, contact the MM customer support folks (link in my signature) and let them advise you.

User Info Menu

As beej says, stress cracks are not uncommon on any bolt-on neck guitar, and 99% of the time they are purely cosmetic and not structural at all.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my EBMM photo ablumbs

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Saw this posted on the ebmm facebook comunity and the answers you got there are correct. It is verry comon on bolt on designs that have a snug fit. There is no harm, just surface damage.
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

Had it on a couple MM guitars and I've seen it on many others too. Common issue and just seems to be how it goes sometimes with a bolt on.

User Info Menu

saw this on fb too. Even Albert Lee himself said something. Indeed there are many threads about stress cracks here, and contacing CS will help the most. We can´t judge this by pics but are pretty sure that this are common stress cracks. That doesn´t make them better, I know. Many of us have them on their guitars
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

My axis is a week old and it has them. Like others have said, its super common, not structural related. Its most likely just in the clear coat on the surface
    EBMM Axis BFR (Blue Berry Burst)

User Info Menu

My Silhouette came with one. I looked it up and wasn't concerned. It's a tool, not a baseball card. As noted earlier, it's a sign of a snug fit.
    2014 Silhouette, White hss BFR Roasted Maple Neck
    2014 Steve Morse All-Roasted Maple Neptune Blue PDN Neck on a Morse Y2D Purple Sunset Burst body (Thanks to Kestrou)
    2017 Luke III BFR Blueberry Burst
    Gold Roller PDN Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Hear hear, it's on on my favourite Luke as well for more than 10 years. Still better playing and sounding as my other Luke.
    2003 Luke Luke Blue signed twice by Lucious
    2007 Luke LE Blue Dawn signed by Lucious

User Info Menu

Awesome thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I posted this on Facebook after I thought that this didn't post for some reason. Glad to know that it's just cosmetic.
    -Will