Strap Blocks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is too old to buy used?

User Info Menu

When is too old to buy used?

Hello,

I was thinking about buying an used JP6, I found some of them build between years 2002-2008 for 1300 euros (Europe), but I'm not sure if it's too much money, if 10 years is too much for one of this guitars (having to repair frets soon, etc.) or if I won't be able to sell them again in some years if I need to.

I trust in Music Man guitars but, do you think it is worth?

User Info Menu

I skipped on a JP 6 mystic dream for a 1200 euros. (Let another forumite friend buy it : he was more into JP's music than I'm.)

It was in perfect condition.

Age is nothing if the guitar has been treated well. Go ahead.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Never too old!

However, It depends on how much the individual instrument was played, where and how stored.

For example, I have a 1996 Silhouette with perfect original frets, plays like it is brand new. It has been kept in my home and played limitedly its entire life.

My suggestion is to get a list of condition questions and send them to each seller. From the answers, you can determine which instruments you should go try.

Here's a partial list:

What is the serial number? (Send to customer service for born on date)
    What is the history on this instrument?
    What condition is the fingerboard?
    Neck?
    Tuners?
    Frets?
    Body?
    Bridge?
    Electronics (any scratchy noises from volume/tone knob or pickup selector)?

Good luck!

Flash

AXIS | 2012 | TRIBUTE | Purple
    AXIS | 2012 | PDN | Honeyburst
    AXIS | 2014 | PDN | BFR | Neptune Blue
    AXIS | 2014 | PDN | MM90 | Neptune Blue

AXIS | 2016 | PDN | Starry Night

SILO | 1996 | Trans Teal | Floyd Rose
    SILO Special | 2012 | PDN | Trem | Honeyburst
    20TH Anny SILO #1 | Hardtail
    20TH Anny SILO #2 | Hardtail

User Info Menu

My main guitar is a 90's Morse. They're extremely well made instruments, so age isn't really a factor. Just make sure a used instrument is in ok shape for the price.

As for frets, they're an item that will wear. But a fret dress or replacement isn't the most expensive repair.

User Info Menu

When buying guitars. Age is never a issue for me. Condition is important!

Check for dents, scratches, ellectronic issues, fretwork, check trus rod if it works properly, ....
    Then play it, and if you like it, buy it!
    1977 stingray II guitar--walnut------------maple fb
    1994 stingray 4H---------natural------------rosewood fb
    1998 sterling 4H----------trans red---------birdseye maple/rw
    2006 Jp6---------------------mystic dream--birdseye maple/rw
    2010 Classic sr4----------coral red---------birdseye maple
    2013 Luke III HSS--------olive gold--------rosewood neck
    2014 stingray 4 HH-----neptune blue---flamed maple
    2014 Luke III HSS--------bodhi blue-------birdseye maple/rw

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    Age is nothing if the guitar has been treated well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Never too old!
    These. Guitars are a passional thing, listen to your heart.

User Info Menu

A guitar is never to old. It's all in how it has been treated. Some of the above responses have listed great specifics to check for and questions to ask the seller. Good luck!
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

User Info Menu

+1 on: never to old

sometimes i prefer a guitar which is older, because i know that it already has some scratches to it...so i can handle it a bit different as a brand new guitar.
    don't get me wrong, i treat my guitars very well! but it's always heartbreaking, if you a new guitar gets a hit or scratch...and if you get a overall good guitar with some "road worn" touch, it great to take it out on stage...you don't have to worry about any further scratches or look after it every single moment with eagle eyes.

to me important are the frets. if they are not worn out, it's fine for me....
    there is a JP6 with three cuts on the craiglist at the moment, but he asks too much...1700.- euro...not for this condition...but i would go for it, if he would lower to around 1200.- or so...

it's as always: condition makes the price, no matter how old it is.
    91 EVH Trans Black Quilt Top
    ?? Axis EX Trans Red Quilt Top
    05 JP6 Mystic Dream
    09 JP6 Dargie Delight II
    10 JP6 Pearl Redburst Limited
    07 JP6 BFR Ruby Red Burst
    05 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    06 SM-Y2D Tobacco Burst
    10 SM-Y2D BFR Black Sugar
    12 SM-Y2D PDN Honey Roasted
    14 SM-Y2D Rosewood Neck Solar Flare
    OLP MM-5 Silhouette Bassguitar
    OLP MM-1
    SBMM JP70 Stealth Black
    SBMM JP70D Pearl White ltd.

check out: www.reverbnation.com/morbidsky

User Info Menu

Never
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

I don't get the "Are there any scratches? Is it mint? Has it ever been out of it's case?" I mean, I buy my guitars to use them. Sure, the cosmetic condition means that it isn't worth the price of a new guitar. If someone was selling Morse's #1 for $1500 (and neither of you knew), if you had that sort of mentality you would probably say " No way, budday". Van Halen preferred broken in necks (he broke them in himself, I'm sure) and I think that may be why EBMM started going with oil'n'waxed necks.

Unless it has just been really badly taken care of (dust and corrosion, the neck hasn't been adjusted in years, the strings haven't been changed in longer) a little bit of road wear should signify that the gitter was good enough to gig. Someone loved that guitar- it was worthy of love.

As the super inspiring T.J. Helmerich once said to me-
    Sound waves warp wood. The floors and walls of the great studios have literally been structurally reshaped by the sound waves of legendary artists and albums. That thinking in mind, a worn in guitar has actually been structurally affected by the great music that has been played through it. I imagine that a ****ty player may not add as much mojo.
    Last edited by Siddius; 05-11-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    2014 Silhouette, White hss BFR Roasted Maple Neck
    2014 Steve Morse All-Roasted Maple Neptune Blue PDN Neck on a Morse Y2D Purple Sunset Burst body (Thanks to Kestrou)
    2017 Luke III BFR Blueberry Burst
    Gold Roller PDN Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

difficult question and some good points already made here

if buying used, I would not judge by the age. Condition matters. Neck and frets should be very good. body marks would lower the price imo.

My Morse and my AL were new (Morse) and mint (AL) when I bought them. In the meantime they have many marks and Iīm sure I will never sell them so - as Joe said - itīs a good feeling that you donīt have to care about every scratch (as long itīs on the body and not on the neck!)

used prices on EBMMs are sometimes out of this world nowadays compared to 2008 when I bought my AL and had a silo for a while. It became more difficult... I think itīs because the prices for factory new instruments raised, and I guess the sellers take the new prices as a reference and not what they had payed back then. but thatīs off topic....
    Last edited by banjoplayer; 05-12-2016 at 12:02 AM.
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

I've heard they get better with time because the wood forgets it once was a tree haha. Dont know if theres any truth to that though..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohdamnitsdevin View Post
    I've heard they get better with time because the wood forgets it once was a tree haha. Dont know if theres any truth to that though..
    lol! good one!
    SBMM SUB Silo 3 Black
    SBMM JP60 Mystic Green

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your answers!! Now I am determined to buy!

I'm between these two:

- With piezo, 2006, Vendo: Music Man Petrucci JP6 con piezo en León | Guitarristas.info
    (Does not look like it uses the current JP6 pickups)

- No piezo, 2008, Vendo: Music Man JP6 John Petrucci en Bizkaia | Guitarristas.info
    (On sale for 15 months and still waiting ...)

Hard to find used Music Man in Europe ...

User Info Menu

Late to the party but I'll chime in anyway. My top two players were both purchased "fully grown", a 1993 "F" a couple of years ago and a 2004 Albert Lee sss just a few weeks ago. Both are miles ahead of my other, newer guitars. Guitars age like fine wine...