Volt Power Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cleaning dark stains from maple neck

User Info Menu

New guy (me). I use whiting on RG's. Much easier than sanding or scrubbing.

BROWNELLS OLD FASHIONED WHITING | Brownells

And no, I am not affiliated with this product or the company that sells it.

User Info Menu

That stuff REALLY does help with the oil. The dirt though can be more difficult. Also, I know some people have used gorgomyte, and it is great stuff, but it will get all the oxides from the frets all over the fretboard, so I don't recommend it for oiled maple boards.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

I've seen whiting pull cosmolene (sp?) Out of nos Mauser stock with only 2-3 applications.

Want a tough job, get that crap out of wood after a nice 100 yr soak. lol

User Info Menu

I used the method on one of my axis and boom! fantastic. Basically the Bartenders stuff made a big difference after cleaning the neck with the steel wood OOO. Excellent result and then oiled the neck. There is no better method than this. Thanks Kimonostereo!

User Info Menu

Glad to see this still helping folks!
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

Somewhat related question - what are you using to buff scratches out? I have a bottle of Stew Mac's Scratch Remover, which works - sort of. It will get rid of scratches, but it's a polish, so it's slightly abrasive (or I was using a dirty rag w/ grit), and you can tell where the scratch remover was used vs. factory finish (I tested it on the back of one of my cheaper guitars to see how it would work before I try it on the front of a more expensive model).

I was thinking maybe I need to follow with a carnuba wax and buff with a rag. Or should I find a buffing pad and pull out my angle grinder?
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2021 EBMM Sabre BFR in Coral Blue Burst
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.

User Info Menu

It really depends. If the scratch is deep, evaluate if it's fixable with buffing and chemicals. You may want to just leave it alone. Scratches rarely affect playability or sound. Drop filling deep scratches is possible, but best left to a pro.

If it's just light scratches, I'll use a light cleaner wax like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax with a little elbow grease first. If that doesn't work, you can try applying some compound by hand or with a foam pad. For medium scratches that are in just the clearcoat, you can use varying grades of sandpaper to smooth the surface out, then follow up with a compound, then swirl remover/glaze, then a wax. If you've never done this before, I'd suggest practicing on an instrument that isn't valuable to you or to just take it to a pro.
    Last edited by kimonostereo; 04-05-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    2009 - 25th Anniversary

User Info Menu

Thanks! Mostly I'm looking at light scratches, like from a pick, or this one spot where I accidentally let a fret polishing wipe brush against my guitar body. The StewMac scratch remover works, but leaves swirl marks, basically.

I was considering Music Nomad's Carnuba Wax (see here: Amazon.com: MusicNomad MN102 Premium White Brazilian Carnauba Guitar Wax, 4 oz: Musical Instruments), but I may try that Meguiar's. That, and a foam pad into my cordless drill. I have any number of cheaper instruments to try.
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2021 EBMM Sabre BFR in Coral Blue Burst
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.

User Info Menu

You're welcome! I think sometimes it gets confusing between what is a wax and what is a polish. If you're trying to protect a finish, you want a "wax" or sealant/protector type chemical. If you're trying to get scratches out, you'll want something with abrasives in it. Depending on how badly damaged the finish is, the more abrasive material you'll want in the stuff you're using. I suggested the Meguiar's cleaner wax as it has a small bit of abrasive that can clean up finishes as well as carnauba wax.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    2009 - 25th Anniversary

User Info Menu

For swirl marks I recommend this product. I dealt with a slightly deeper scratch using this product too. AMAZING product.
    Guitar Scratch Remover Polish – GuitarScratchRemover by Eternashine
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Can this be fixed?

Is there any hope for a neck like this? The 1st fret is what it looks like after several scrubbings with Murphy's Oil soap as well as sanding once with 2000 grit. The 2nd and 3rd fret was what it looked like before.

Was gigging and teaching quite a bit before COVID hit last year and never got around to maintenance...so it was in my gigbag for quite awhile with gunk on it (not my finest hour). When I finally got around to changing strings and started removing the gunk, it (of course) already stained the fingerboard. Can oxalic acid (or anything else) fix something this bad?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning dark stains from maple neck-stained-neck1-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johndough247 View Post
    Is there any hope for a neck like this? The 1st fret is what it looks like after several scrubbings with Murphy's Oil soap as well as sanding once with 2000 grit. The 2nd and 3rd fret was what it looked like before.

Was gigging and teaching quite a bit before COVID hit last year and never got around to maintenance...so it was in my gigbag for quite awhile with gunk on it (not my finest hour). When I finally got around to changing strings and started removing the gunk, it (of course) already stained the fingerboard. Can oxalic acid (or anything else) fix something this bad?
    That doesn't appear to be an oiled neck and fretboard, so any of the advice in this thread is not really going to apply. That looks like a satin poly finished neck where you wore through the finish, and now have stained bare maple, which has started to oxidize as well. That may be as good as you can get it.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

I think it looks AWESOME as is. I understand to desire to keep it looking new, but it has character as it is now.
    A S T R O F R E Q . C O M

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I use bar keepers friend on my stainless steel car ;-) .
    Will have to try some on one of my balls !
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's