Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning dark stains from maple neck

Cleaning dark stains from maple neck

It was NGD yesterday, but before I show it off, the guitar needed a good cleaning.

Spent some time buffing out swirl and pick scratches from the surface, cleaning up the bridge... next is cleaning up the fretboard. I already went over it with 0000 steel wool, but I'm left with some dark stains in the maple.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get this cleaned up before I do the gunstock oil treatment?

These are the before shots...
    Cleaning dark stains from maple neck-img_0971-jpg
    Cleaning dark stains from maple neck-img_0970-jpg

The neck looks a little cleaner than what's shown, but still has the dark stains.

In the past, I've used 800/1000/1500 sandpaper to clean this type of thing up. Just wondering if there were other methods that you've tried and used? Sometimes I feel like I'm working on guitars way more than playing them.
    Last edited by kimonostereo; 10-07-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. I have similar dark stains on my Reflex maple neck, and so far I haven't been able to remove them. Simply using a slightly damp piece of cloth removes some of it, but it'll quickly return.

Personally I'm thinking that's probably just how it is when you actually use your guitar with a maple neck... it doesn't hurt anything besides the look afaik.
    1997 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2011 - Reflex - Hardtail - White
    2016 - LIII BFR - HSS - Blueberry Burst Quilt
    2017 - Cutlass - SSS - Vintage Turquoise

Sandpaper can indeed help. Murphy's oil soap can also help a bit. However, I haven't found anything that completely removes it. Sandpaper and the oil soap make a difference, without question. I just think it is the nature of unfinished maple.

Over the years my '94 pinkburst AL developed dark stains too. When I bought it used in '08 it was possible to remove them with 0000 steelwool and/or 800-1000 sandpaper. But now the stains are permanent

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9195 mit Tapatalk
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Bands: DREiNS, Shelter50, The BlueScream

I had a Silo Spec that was somewhat dirty, never was able to fully restore it.

I just make sure I play with clean hands and do an annual Murphys and Gunstock Oil & Wax treatment and mine current maple necks are staying clean
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post
    I had a Silo Spec that was somewhat dirty, never was able to fully restore it.

I just make sure I play with clean hands and do an annual Murphys and Gunstock Oil & Wax treatment and mine current maple necks are staying clean
    Ive noticed my sterling 5 bass neck is starting to darken. I kind of like it but i do try and my instruments clean. Will have to try the murphys and gunstock oil.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

I personally like the look of used dirty maple fretboards... adds mojo
    Nice guitar btw.

There's always Erie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner...

https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-acc...nt-care#P04276
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

Quote Originally Posted by BrickGlass View Post
    Sandpaper can indeed help. Murphy's oil soap can also help a bit. However, I haven't found anything that completely removes it. Sandpaper and the oil soap make a difference, without question. I just think it is the nature of unfinished maple.
    With the Murphy's soap I had success with a stiff tooth brush and lots of elbow grease.
    93 Silhouette 96 Silhouette Recovered!2007.8.3 99 Silhouette Bass Guitar 00 Steve Morse 02 Sterling 02 Petrucci 02 Silhouette 04 Bongo 04 S.U.B. 05 Steve Morse Y2D 06 Silhouette 06 Petrucci 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 07 7 String 10 Honey Burst Silhouette 11Black Sugar Silhouette 12 Ash Floyd Silhouette

Don't know if this would work on that fretboard but I use naptha on my Suhr(john uses it too) and it does wonders

Naptha can be good. It really helps make the dirt and grime more soluble. Dan Erlewine uses it to break up crud on guitars that have been ridden hard and put away wet.

I used a soft toothbrush and a 1:1 mixture of water and murphys oil soap to gently tease the grunge out of the pores when I refinished the neck on my SR4H, which I have since sold. It REALLY helped.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple fretboard / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood Fretboard/ 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Signature Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

One day - One day ..... I'll get a "scrap neck" off my mate. Make sure that the maple is grungy.

Then I'll initially clean using Murphy's etc and fine sand it - no doubt I will have a neck infinitely better but still
    has a stain - then I'm going to try a bleach - a propitiatory bleach and some good ol' peroxide.

See what happens!! Trouble is I can't see people plucking up the courage to try a bleach should it work - it'll be interesting though lol!
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;Fender BJ 15W;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

Hey all, Thanks for all the replies!

I've used naptha for years but it will only remove surface crud on unfinished maple necks.

To Spudmurphy: Yes! I think I'll try this on one of my old discarded bare maple strat necks. What type of bleach would you suggest? The main issue with bleach is making sure to wash all of it off the surface. I may try hydrogen peroxide first.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

Murphy's oil soap and a rigid toothbrush. Mix 3/1 with water. Scrub, wipe, repeat........ It may take 3-4 times. Good luck.
    25th Anniversary,Venetian Red Quilt,Maple neck,G47369,
    Axis Supersport BFR,Tobacco Burst,Rosewood neck,G47057,
    Axis Tribute,Purple Quilt, Maple neck, G54353
    Axis Supersport BFR, Bahama Blue Burst,Maple neck, Hard tail G52956
    EVH Red Quilt Hard Tail,Maple neck,87269
    Semi-Hollow Super Sport, Neptune Blue,G72992
    EVH Purple Flame,Maple Neck,84096
    Silo Special,Sky Blue,Hard Tail,G70886

Quote Originally Posted by kimonostereo View Post
    Hey all, Thanks for all the replies!

I've used naptha for years but it will only remove surface crud on unfinished maple necks.

To Spudmurphy: Yes! I think I'll try this on one of my old discarded bare maple strat necks. What type of bleach would you suggest? The main issue with bleach is making sure to wash all of it off the surface. I may try hydrogen peroxide first.
    i've never tried it on a guitar neck, but many years ago I tried it on a dark oak and got the colour to a really light finish, I'll see if I can remember what I used?
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;Fender BJ 15W;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112: