The Vault

Thread: Hartail Cutlass/Stingray

User Info Menu

Hartail Cutlass/Stingray

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole world of Music Man guitars and I'm thinking of getting a Cutlass or Stingray. My only issue with these guitars is that they come with a trem system and I might as well be allergic to anything that isn't a hardtail. To deal with this I was wondering if it's possible to block the trem with a piece of wood like some do with their strats. I contacted EBMM customer service and they said they couldn't make a hardtail variant and pointed me in the tremol-nos direction. What's the best course of action here?

User Info Menu

It's the same as any standard trem. You can block it the same way.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

I like you prefer hardtail, neither the cutlass or stingray come that way but tremol-no is one way or 5 springs, ditch the trem bar and adjust everything accordingly will get you a hardtail with a back plate, one of my biggest issues with all manufactures is lack of stock built hardtails

User Info Menu

The trem is flat against the body, it doesn't float, its like a hardtail with the option to dive down if want be...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lock-ny View Post
    The trem is flat against the body, it doesn't float, its like a hardtail with the option to dive down if want be...
    What lock-ny said! 3 or more springs tensioned so the bridge is firmly flat against the body and you are good to go.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

User Info Menu

I put 5 Raw Vintage Springs in. Get's you a bit more of that inbuilt Springiness. Very Good!!!
    Never put the Tremolo Lever "Wimmerhaken" in