Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JP16: DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasy pickups?

Can these be purchased a la carte? I LOVE the Illuminators in my Majesties but would be eager to experiment with a version of the bridge pickup with a bit more midrange and bass in one of them.

They are not listed on Dimarzio's website leading me to speculate that they are only available on a JP16.

I hope that eventually they can be purchased separately.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

Quote Originally Posted by agt View Post
    Can these be purchased a la carte? I LOVE the Illuminators in my Majesties but would be eager to experiment with a version of the bridge pickup with a bit more midrange and bass in one of them.

They are not listed on Dimarzio's website leading me to speculate that they are only available on a JP16.

I hope that eventually they can be purchased separately.
    At this point in time they are not available to order from DiMarzio. You never know, maybe they will eventually be released like the Crunch Lab/Liquifire/Illuminator series
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

The Sonic Ecstasy pickups are now listed on DiMarzio's site and listed for sale at some retailers. They seem to be F-spaced only and only available with the custom covers, i.e. not with exposed coils as they appear on the Majesty Monarchy.

Has anyone tried them yet?

Two questions:

I am potentially interested in trying a set on one of my JP models or Majesties.

(1) Based on the routing on the newer JP designs, it looks like a pickup with a cover will not fit. The routes are "rounded" at the corners and do not look like they would accommodate the right angle corners of a pickup cover. Can anyone with experience comment or confirm?

(2) My understanding is that the JP models use F-spacing on the bridge pickups but regular spacing on the neck pickups. When the Sonic Ecstasy pickups are described as "F-spaced only", is it understood that this applies only to the bridge model or are both bridge and neck pickups f-spaced? If the latter, would that be a problem?

1) That is most likely correct, the new Sonic Ecstasy pickups are rectangular and will not fit in a cavity that is been routed to a smaller size in the corners.

2) Both the Sonic Ecstasy bridge and neck pickup are labeled as F-Spaced. This means that the pole pieces on the neck pickup will be spaced apart the same as on the bridge pickup. If I had to guess, this was done so the same cover can be used on the bridge or neck pickup by rotating it 180* (heck, the entire pickup could even be the same, just rotated/wired differently)
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

All I know is that I'm excited to try them out when my Monarchy ships
    EBMM JP XI onyx
    EBMM MAJESTY Polar Noir
    Mesa Boogie Mark V:25

These sound what I am looking for...I have a JP6 and the pickups are a bit bright bright for my liking. Excuse my ignorance, does the original JP6 have the F holes? Thanks

Did you mean F Spaced? I believe so. F Spaced is for floating bridges. I believe the term means "Floyd" Spaced but I could be wrong
    EBMM JP XI onyx
    EBMM MAJESTY Polar Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Beerandbeards View Post
    All I know is that I'm excited to try them out when my Monarchy ships
    Please let us know your impressions when your Monarchy arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    1) That is most likely correct, the new Sonic Ecstasy pickups are rectangular and will not fit in a cavity that is been routed to a smaller size in the corners.

2) Both the Sonic Ecstasy bridge and neck pickup are labeled as F-Spaced. This means that the pole pieces on the neck pickup will be spaced apart the same as on the bridge pickup. If I had to guess, this was done so the same cover can be used on the bridge or neck pickup by rotating it 180* (heck, the entire pickup could even be the same, just rotated/wired differently)
    Thanks, Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by agt View Post
    Please let us know your impressions when your Monarchy arrives!
    This will be my first stop. I preordered in December so I'm hoping I get one from the first batch
    EBMM JP XI onyx
    EBMM MAJESTY Polar Noir

The JPXVI (JP16) is equipped with the Sonic Ecstasy set as well. The DiMarzio website very accurately describes all tonal qualities of their pickups. Main sizes to keep in mind in order to form an idea of what each pickup would sound like are: DC Resistance, Voltage output, EQ, and material of construction. Still, you cannot really know until you install it.

I believe, a very interesting comparison would be one between a Monarchy Majesty and a JPXVI, given they bear the same pickups' set but in a totally different instrument construction. That would be bolt-on vs. through-neck, and more mid-high focused wood selection (maple+basswood) vs. a more solid-thick approach (mahogany). That also, would exhibit the effect and significance of the wood selection as well as the bolt-on/through-neck construction on the final sound.
    EBMM JPXI-6 Cardinal Red
    EBMM JP12-6 Cherry Sugar
    EBMM JPXVI-7 Black Lava
    EBMM ARTISAN MAJESTY-7 Rosso
    EBMM NOMAC MAJESTY (on order)
    IBANEZ JPM100-P1
    IBANEZ JPM100-P4
    IBANEZ USRG30 Violet
    IBANEZ USRG30 Purple
    IBANEZ USRG30 Fuchsia

Also the original Majesty were basswood with mahogany. The Monarchy series are all mahogany. So comparing the two Majestys may be interesting as well
    EBMM JP XI onyx
    EBMM MAJESTY Polar Noir

Did you mean F Spaced? I believe so. F Spaced is for floating bridges. I believe the term means "Floyd" Spaced but I could be wrong
    Fender spaced. (vs. Gibson spacing.)

Also the original Majesty were basswood with mahogany. The Monarchy series are all mahogany. So comparing the two Majestys may be interesting as well
    The Majesty and the Monarchy don't share the same electronics, so there's bound to be a bit of deviation among the two. The Illuminator set is quite differently tuned compared to the Sonic Ecstasy set. A good comparison is between the Majesty and the Artisan Majesty (same pickups, different wood cocktail). No difference at all if you'd ask me.
    EBMM JPXI-6 Cardinal Red
    EBMM JP12-6 Cherry Sugar
    EBMM JPXVI-7 Black Lava
    EBMM ARTISAN MAJESTY-7 Rosso
    EBMM NOMAC MAJESTY (on order)
    IBANEZ JPM100-P1
    IBANEZ JPM100-P4
    IBANEZ USRG30 Violet
    IBANEZ USRG30 Purple
    IBANEZ USRG30 Fuchsia

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Fender spaced. (vs. Gibson spacing.)