New banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of the Albert Lee model...???

User Info Menu

History of the Albert Lee model...???

I seem to recall a few years back finding a few stories/videos about the origins of the Albert Lee model guitar, but striking out now...

If anyone can provide links and/or first hand -accurate- information (BP???) about the true story behind this amazing guitar, it would be greatly appreciated!

...might even make a good sticky.....
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    I seem to recall a few years back finding a few stories/videos about the origins of the Albert Lee model guitar, but striking out now...

If anyone can provide links and/or first hand -accurate- information (BP???) about the true story behind this amazing guitar, it would be greatly appreciated!

...might even make a good sticky.....
    Why don't you just watch the video Albert Lee made on the Music Man website for the AL guitar. It basically tells you how it came about. He saw it as a prototype, Sterling made one for his personal use, Albert liked it and Sterling gave it to him and it became his #1 guitar.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

If I am not mistaken the AL started out its life as the Axis, and when AL got one and loved it it became his sig model and then the Axis became what it is today.

User Info Menu

This Premier Guitar video has Dudley telling the AL origin story. A must watch for any EBMM fan:

Ernie Ball Music Man - From the Vault Guitars: EVH, Albert Lee, Spinal Tap, Steve Morse Prototypes - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Samoht View Post
    This Premier Guitar video has Dudley telling the AL origin story. A must watch for any EBMM fan:

Ernie Ball Music Man - From the Vault Guitars: EVH, Albert Lee, Spinal Tap, Steve Morse Prototypes - YouTube
    Very cool, which reminds me of REO Speedwagon guitarist having an early version of the AL when it was an Axis, seen a video somewhere

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    Very cool, which reminds me of REO Speedwagon guitarist having an early version of the AL when it was an Axis, seen a video somewhere
    I kind of remember that video/concert video; it was Kevin Cronin, their singer (who also plays rhythm), who had the AL/Axis. I think it was yellow.

User Info Menu

Here is the story :

One day,

MM launched the AL model. Looks, playability, sounds, mojo were second to none. Every other guitar became crap.

The end.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Very cool...thanks all for your contributions.
    So here's what we've got so far:

The first 'reveal' was 1987 when an early prototype was presented to Sterling (intended to be called the Axis).
    Albert was present, was smitten with it and promptly took it for his own.
    It went into production in 1993 as the Albert Lee model.

A couple of things I'm still curious about are who actually conceived of it originally (Dudley?? Sterling??), and what was the inspiration for such a forward / futuristic design back then??

I know there's more acurate information out there, I'm trying to gather it all up in this one thread.

Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by xjbebop; 02-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm a bit surprised and disappointed there wasn't more interest in a thread like this... *sniff...

Oh well, I suppose most folks are more interested in the 'new kids in town'...

Long Live the Albert Lee!!!!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Seconded =best guitar ever

User Info Menu

First AL HH, Nick Danger.

my new 2-humbucker AL!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

It was not the axis at first it was a christmas present. It was after a lunch that Dudley and I had (sushi, we are californians) where we wanted strat balance points but not a strat....wanted a retro "jetsons" shape

the first one is made of the lightest flame maple body Heavily figured but paper light...

Albert and I were playing for the EB Music man Xmas party I showed it to Albert and he said "Oh dear" so I gave it to him
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Love the insight and stories! Thanks for sharing BP!
    Brian Martin
    Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
    Product Guru All Things SBMM
    Brian.Xavier.Martin@gmail.com

User Info Menu

Outstanding...that's what I was hoping for!!!

Any early pics to add??
    Balls are Best!!