2020 StingRay Special colors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously

User Info Menu

Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously

Hi guys, first of all hello everyone, happy to be back round here in MMland.

I used to play some EBMM sterling basses and nowadays im the lucky owner of a dirty and average used EBMM Silhouette special. Just put away everything but cannot pull the trem bar. Its stuck and after looking in forums, i took away the bridge and the trem wont get out of the block. Loosened the allen hex screws that could have retained the bar but didnt succeed. Hammering the block doesnt seem to be a valid alternative right now, id prefer to ask the forum for some "proper" way to pull it out. Date stamp on neck heel says it is a 2002 model.

Pictures attached!!! Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously-image-jpg   Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously-image-jpg   Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously-image-jpg   Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously-image-jpg  

User Info Menu

The main Allen screw is the black one with the black bar that is acting as a spring if this is not working the maybe the vibrato arm is not the right one and unless to pull as it should be try to unscrew it
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Yup! After some minutes of guessing, i got the way those hex screws work... Loosened both and even looked through the gap of the spring: the trem bar moves just a bit out and gets free from the spring but seems to choke with the other mechanism... It shows only one big groove, no thread there and didnt succeded trying to unscrew it. Maybe the wrong tram bar in the wrong tremblock? Just applying more traction may do the trick? I've tried hard already, thats why im asking for input; happy to hear any suggestions!
    Last edited by Alonso Correa L; 07-27-2016 at 08:00 AM.

User Info Menu

The trem bar seems to be the original so I don't know what's the problem.

Is the trem arm swing freely and spin around its axis?
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007

User Info Menu

Slackening both those Allen screws should do it. Yup, it's a push/pull fit.

So into "Problem Solving Mode" - as a amateur mechanic the adage:-
    Does it move? No
    Should it move? Yes
    therefore WD40 lol
    It wouldn't hurt to try.

Maybe apply some "gentle" heat to the trem block to make it expand?

Fix a split collet/clip around the protruding trem bar and prise out - gently!
    ...... or best of all, contact Customer Services who no doubt have resolved this problem on numerous occasions?
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Funny! Last night, i tryed the following:
    Brute force (more or less lol)
    Force plus swing
    WD40
    Mild heat on the block... Ice on the bar...
    Force again
    Even beat the block with a hammer, but it damages the steel block...

Anyway, feels better to read some of those space age techniques suggested by you too guys!!!

Customer service told me its not usual tha the bar stays stuck after loosing both hex screws... Now sendind them my serial number in case they could provide a replacement... Ill take some better pics tomorrow so you can tell me if everything looks original to you... Stay in touch!

User Info Menu

Explain "gentle heat" please... Lol!

User Info Menu

ha! well if it melts you've gone too hot!
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Ill take that into account!!!

User Info Menu

It's done!
    Took away the clip and loosened the little anti-spin hex screw, and usind the existing slot lightly saw the trem bar tip one angle at a time in order to finally "sand" just a little bit of the whole circumference. Then pulling just normal and voilą! I sanded and polished it after, for the pictures of course!
    Last edited by Alonso Correa L; 07-30-2016 at 07:27 AM.

User Info Menu

The pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously-image-jpg   Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously-image-jpg   Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously-image-jpg   Silhouette special trem bar stuck - seriously-image-jpg  

User Info Menu

Good job!
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007

User Info Menu

Thanks. Now im dealing with the re-wiring problem. I was given all the original parts from the previous owner, who changed pots, switch, wires and eliminated the silent circuit. I havent succeeded in finding a wiring diagram for this SSH model, nor useful pictures for figuring it out. Found at seymour duncan and other websites some diagrams for this config, with just one volume, but things get somewhat difficult when the time to connect the silent circuit comes... I was even provided a black plastic input jack with multiple connectors that wont even fit in the jack pocket in the guitar... So im stucked until customer service share a diagram with me or maybe succeed finding it online... Any suggestions appreciated!

User Info Menu

It's not that complicated a wiring diagram. Wait for CS, they'll give you one next week.

User Info Menu

Just what u said. Eb CS asked the serial number in order to send me the diagram. Di marzio already sent another one. Unluckily, no free time to do this job until next sunday probably... Cant wait till the moment i can plug it and hear it!!!!