Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JP15 Pickup Switch Position

User Info Menu

JP15 Pickup Switch Position

Got the JP15 yesterday and still am in awe of the quality and sound. I love, love, love it!! One thing that I would change if I could is the position of the pickup switch. I find it to be in the way when I am picking or strumming unless I pick higher or lower on the guitar that I normally would. Has anybody else found this? Just curious.

Thanks.
    Vic

User Info Menu

No pics, the guitar does not exist. Just saying...

User Info Menu

Jp15

They do exist, but can be hard to get your hands on one. Here is a pic of mine before it was sent out by Sweetwater.

JP15 Pickup Switch Position-pic-jpg

User Info Menu

I notice that the Majesty and most /all of the JP models have the pickup selector switch in a similar position. Any thoughts from any one.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

The controls are set up the same across all models of the JP line. They match the natural arc of JP's arm as it bends from the elbow so one does not need to change arm positions to reach any of the controls. Smart design. The only one I sometimes bump is the JPX as that model has a 5 way and is a little closer to your hand when in the neck position.
    JP6 Mystic Dream
    JP6 DD2
    JP6 BFR Walnut
    JP6 White Sparkle
    JP6 BFR Cherry Burst
    JP6 BFR Black Sparkle Custom Color
    JPX6
    JP6 Olive Gold
    JP6 Blue Dawn
    JP13 Cardinal Red Sparkle
    JP6 Stealth White
    JP6 Gold Sparkle
    JP6 Starry Night
    JP6 Autumn Red
    JP6 Diablo Blue

User Info Menu

I love the JP especially for the switch positioning (and neck, sound, ergonomics etc ) )
    if you never switch the pick ups or don't do it fast then you don't need it there, but otherwise the positioning is perfect
    that switch it is one of the reasons I did not buy other guitar brand in the last 6 years , besides JPs

User Info Menu

Lou and Paolo, thanks for the responses. Paola, I only play at home for my own pleasure and don't have a need to quickly change the pickups, but I can certainly see how the position would be advantageous for someone who does. Guess, I will just have to get used to it. Didn't know if others may have found it in the way and have changed the switch out for another lower profile switch.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Vic

User Info Menu

I've heard this complaint before so you're definitely not the only one, for me though is in the perfect position, right in there for fast switching (which i do a lot) but not in the way of my picking.

User Info Menu

Like anything, it's down to personal preference. Some people will find it is in the right place, others will wish it were not in their strumming path. But it may help discipline some players to control their hand movement a bit more (which could be a positive way of looking at it)!
    Last edited by ohbugger; 08-02-2016 at 05:56 AM.

User Info Menu

There's no reason to leave it as-is, if it is hampering your playstyle! There's a quick way to mod that pickup switch:

JP15 Pickup Switch Position-963335_stock-photo-rusty-pliers-plain-white-background-jpg
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

User Info Menu

The original reason for my post was to see what others thought about the placement, although I realize that it's personal preference. And secondly, to see if anyone had made mods and, if so, what they had done. I am getting more used to it's placement, but would still be interested in any mods.

Thanks.
    Vic

User Info Menu

It took me some time playing my JP15 to adapt to the selector switch. I had to slightly alter my "natural" (habitual) right hand position on the guitar to avoid inadvertent pickup changes. The guitar feels very natural to me today, though.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Cutlass RS in Charging Green
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    It took me some time playing my JP15 to adapt to the selector switch. I had to slightly alter my "natural" (habitual) right hand position on the guitar to avoid inadvertent pickup changes. The guitar feels very natural to me today, though.
    Same for me (well, not with a JP15, but it's the same on the JP6). Basically I had to be more conscious of avoiding an exaggerated arc after strumming. Which is probably a good thing in the end because it's less of a wasteful movement.
    '05 JP6 Desert Gold matching headstock, inlays, piezo
    '06 Silhouette 20th Anniversary (trem, rosewood)
    '06 Bongo Stealth 4HH
    '14 JP7 BFR Rosewood trans black quilt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
    Basically I had to be more conscious of avoiding an exaggerated arc after strumming. Which is probably a good thing in the end because it's less of a wasteful movement.
    Exactly. My history playing only acoustic taught me that the way to get more volume was to play with more force, which led to a longer arc. Part of adapting to having that volume knob was to shorten the arc. Still adjusting to that.
    ---------------
    Axis SS Semi-Hollow in Diablo Blue
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Cutlass RS in Charging Green
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

You're gonna get used to it.