VPJr Tuner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Silhouette Special

User Info Menu

FS: Silhouette Special

I'll soon be moving from San Diego to France, so gotta thin the herd....

Available is my Silhouette Special in near mint condition. Sunburst finish with a fantastic figured (Birdseye?) maple neck and fretboard. Just a few faint surface scratches and a tiny dimple or two keep it from being mint. Everything works just as it should. All original. Pickups are S/S/H. Tremolo bridge & locking tuners. Frets are showing just initial signs of wear on the B & G strings of the cowboy frets, but too minor to show in a pic. Neck is straight. Original case, with a couple of scuffs, included. Not sure of what year it is, but the serial number is G07692.

16 pics at the link below (try and ignore the reflections in the pics):

http://photobucket.com/albums/v353/R...tte%20Special/

Looking for $650/obo + $25 shipping. PayPal negotiable.

Thanks, Scott
    sdkonnagan@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by RedLizard; 02-14-2005 at 06:47 PM.

User Info Menu

B-a-ee-uu-t-t-i-f-u-lllll! Thank goodness you're not in the US
    Most People Turn and Laugh When I Tell Them I Only Have 1/32" to Play With

User Info Menu

that is beautiful!!!!

where do you live?

User Info Menu

I'm in love... Again.

What part of the world are you in?

Simon

PRS 20th Anniversary Single Cut - Violin Amber Sunburst
    Gibson ES335 - Vintage Sunburst
    1963 Fender VI Bass - Vintage Sunburst
    1979 Tokai Love Rock - Lemon Drop
    Fender Stratocaster - Sunburst

User Info Menu

I'm in San Diego

Hold the phone, Raz! I'm in San Diego, but moving to France. I haven't left yet, so no excuses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RedLizard
    Hold the phone, Raz! I'm in San Diego, but moving to France. I haven't left yet, so no excuses.
    Bastid, I was hoping...no praying you were moving from London to France...crap, and I just missed that BIN Silo for 500.00, but it wasn't near as sweet as this one...

User Info Menu

This is one beautiful specimen of a Silo you've got there.

I'd be very tempted if I didn't have a big tax bill to pay off.

Good luck and may the new owner take as good as care of
    it as you.

--scottie

User Info Menu

Fogman and Simon - I'm in San Diego. Just updated my profile to reflect it.

Thanks, Scottie. If I didn't have too many of everything, there's no way I'd let it go. The neck on this one is amazing. But, I've never played another, so I don't know if they're all satin & Birdseye and as cool as this one or not.

Raz, that one on the 'Bay was just a regular Silo, plus I'm guessing it didn't have the cool Birdseye or locking tuners that this one has, since he didn't mention it in the listing. Someone still got a great buy, though.
    Last edited by RedLizard; 02-14-2005 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RedLizard
    Thanks, Scottie. If I didn't have too many of everything, there's no way I'd let it go.

Raz, that one on the 'Bay was just a regular Silo, plus I'm guessing it didn't have the cool Birdseye or locking tuners that this one has, since he didn't mention it in the listing. Someone still got a great buy, though.
    Your not playing fair!

User Info Menu

Darn that's a good deal!
    What's that finish called?

User Info Menu

Honeyburst?

I wish I knew what the exact finish is. The MM color charts aren't big enough to really make an easy call on it, but if I had to pick one, I'd say it's Honeyburst, though it could be Vintage Sunburst or Tobacco Burst...or possibly something they no longer offer.

User Info Menu

From the pic it does indeed look like the honeyburst Albert Lee I just got.

Very nice guitar LIZARD. Man for the price of a new sub, someone (RAZ) is gettin a be-ute.
    KEITH

PS You selling any other balls? And what guitar is your #1?
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003

User Info Menu

Sorry, no other Balls, to sell.

My #1 is actually a beat up, ten year old Grosh Retro Classic with some Wagner (WCR) pickups in it. Not much to look at, but it's got some nice mojo. I bought it off Dave Barber who said they used it for years to test their pedals, which explains the blemishes you don't ordinarily see on a corksniffer Strat. I've seriously considered taking a product called Micromesh to the neck to get the satin look & feel. Micromesh is a very fine abrasive used to polish glass and plexiglass and according to some threads I followed should result in a finish like this has. Despite the unbiased testimonials, I've been too chicken to try it.

User Info Menu

Where are the surface scratches and dimples? I saw one dimple (in photo #16) in your series of pics, and I think it was on the back, are there more & where?

Also, in picture #13 I see a light colored line on the neck near the heel of the neck. What is that? Is it a scratch, crack, or just a natural marking in the wood?

In picture #15 the hex bolts holding the trem look like someone almost rounded them off, especially the one between the 5th and 6th strings. Do they still turn properly (i.e. not stripped) and are they secured into the guitar body well? (i.e. not wobbly in their screw holes?)

I only ask because I'm giving this serious consideration.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst
    Y2D Purple Sunset
    Dargie Delight (1) Bongo H
    Majesty (6 string) Glacial Frost

User Info Menu

SteveB,

The dimple in the pic is on the face directly up from the 22nd fret and right on the of where the contouring starts toward the side of the guitar. It's not really a dimple or indentation, as much as it it's something you feel with your fingernail and see when looking closely. Not sure what to call it, so I called it a dimple. The same goes for the other imperfections. Near the point of the top horn are a couple of hairlike scratches, but too slight to show up in a photo. The 2-3 dimples on the back are even more subtle...if you're looking for them and get the light and angle just right, you see them, but too slight to photograph.

The line you see across the heel of the neck is too straight to be natural figuring. It goes from one edge of the fretboard to the other and I believe it's where the gun oil tint ends and the standard finish begins. You can't feel anything and there's no discernible difference in feel between one side or the other.

I eyeballed the hex bolts and I guess I don't see what you're seeing. They two big bolts holding the bridge down are rounded per manufacturing and I don't see anywear on any of the bridge. Might just be an optical illusion. I can take some from other angles, if needed. Definitely nothing wobbly.

BTW, it isn't pictured, but I do have the trem arm.