Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Need help on setting trem on Albert Lee to float

Need help on setting trem on Albert Lee to float

So I want to set my albertlee trem to float similar to how my luke III is. I removed a spring to leave me with two springs but in doing so the back of the bridge is high. Looks like this:

Even if I tighten the trem claw screws the pitch is still way off. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

The two posts on which the trem balances are height-adjustable. You need to raise them in order to raise the 'front' end of the tremolo.

To compensate, you will likely have to lower the saddle heights in order to maintain a similar string height to the non-floating setup.

The number of springs is a feel thing, along with what gauge strings you use.
    I've got 3 springs on mine with 9's.
    It's just a matter of -BALANCE-. Expect to take 20 to 40 minutes to achieve the amount of float you want with the strings tuned to pitch. Keep adjusting the claw and re-tuning the strings until you get there.
    Also, when tuning strings, start in the middle (D & G) and work your way out, then back in....over and over. Be patient....
    Enjoy Your Balls!!!

What string guages do you use? You may still need 3 springs, but back off the claw to float the bridge.

As far as the two pivot posts, the really only need to be set to the point there is approximately the space of a business card between the bottom of the bridge plate and the surface of the guitar.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

I use 9's. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!!

"Be patient"; wise words! I replaced the stock regular slinky strings (1-46) with extra slinky (8-38) on my Majesty a week ago and it did take about an hour for the guitar to settle down. I had to remove one tremolo spring from 3 to 2, and adjust the two tremolo spring screws that secure the little bar to which one end of the the springs attach just to get the tremolo flat again with the body of the guitar. Then it took another 20 minutes playing with the saddle heights to get the action just right.

It really helps to be able to tune by ear; same procedure for tuning 12 string guitars; bounce all over the place until it finally settles down and is in tune.
    Rick

'16 EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream, '87 Gibson Les Paul Custom, '88 Gibson ES-335,
    '80 Gibson ES-Artist, '95 Hohner G3T, '70s Shergold Custom Double
    '93 Ibanez SDGR Custom 6, Takamine NP18C, Takamine EN10C-12
    Martin Backpacker, Yamaha FG140

Marshall 6100LE head/cab, Roland Cube 30, Yamaha THR10X
    Fractal Audio AxeFX II XL+, ART SGX2000 Express and Ultrafoot

Try adding the third spring back in and put a set of hybrid 9's on. I set my silo special to float and the hybrids have made a massive difference to the feel. Better tension overall.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Musicman Silhouette special w/rosewood neck
    Musicman Sterling 5 HH
    Music Man SUB5 bass
    Music Man SUB 1 guitar

I was able to set the bridge to slightly float so I could do some nice flutters on it.

Thanks everyone.

Hi all, sorry to reopen old post. Actually solving same issue while re-setting trem. I've got 10's on my AL and I'm not able to get right pitch, saddles are at the end. I'm tuning G string to 3 half steps up with trem fully up. And I've 3 springs. I also noticed high action. And I don't see much space to lower the saddles to get the right action.
    Before I had hybrid 10's and it was much better.

Are you using 10's with same settings on G string and lower action (like with non-floating trem)?
    Steve Morse Blueburst - DOB: 22.07.2008
    Albert Lee Black Cherry Burst - DOB: 8.1.2010

As Rick C said earlier in this thread: Be patient. Changing gauges on a trem bridge throws off the entire ecosystem of your trem. Especially if you want some float. In my non professional experience this is the checklist you need to use, and some things need to be checked off more than once and in changing order, and you'll need to tune at and in between every step:

-Change strings (duh)
    -adjust spring tension to the trem
    -examine action and change saddle height. Don't get too overzealous here, don't try to get it perfect in one go, it will keep adjusting.
    -adjust intonation on the saddles

When you change the spring tension, it will change the action. When you adjust the saddles, they will throw off the spring tension. When you tune, it can change both of those. Usually I will go back and forth between those two steps until I am satisfied, always always tune every time you finish one of those adjustments.

Move on to saddle intonation after that point, and if you're getting buzz at the lower frets adjust the truss rod slightly. Every movement of one piece of hardware affects all of the others. Once you do that it will change all the other stuff you worked on all over again.

Patience, grasshopper.
    St. Vincent "Prince Vince" trans purple gold hardware stealth pg roasted bound neck
    Albert Lee MM90 piezo "Silver Surfer"
    Classic Morse
    Luke BFR Koa
    Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow natural flame piezo
    Silhouette Special
    Stealth Bongo H
    White Cutlass Bass roasted neck

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyBall View Post
    Changing gauges on a trem bridge throws off the entire ecosystem of your trem. ... Patience, grasshopper.
    Man, I wish I'd been able to read all of that from Casey in one shot before the first time I (naively) decided on a whim to change string gauge on a floating trem! (I also didn't know about this forum at the time.) Very useful summation.
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)