New Prodigy

Thread: Anyone feeling the bridge pickup of the original ver JP7 too hot for clean?

User Info Menu

Question Anyone feeling the bridge pickup of the original ver JP7 too hot for clean?

IIRC the pup is a custom version of Blaze. The high mid and high are quite hot, which is nice for high gain sound but can cause clean especially chord tone to break up easily. That thing just roars!

I could manage to get a mellow tone by turning the high, mid and preamp volume(gain) knobs down, which works for different amps sources. But that leaves me no way to achieve a bright thin tone I like for clean. And when switching to other pup postions the tone just goes meh. Rolling the volume knob back works about the same. Placing a volume pedal or sort of things between the amp and the guitar won't even work.

BTW, things are fine with my JPX and newer JP7 w/ LF/CL. Opinions? Thanks for your inputs.
    2004 JP7 - Pearl Red Burst - Fully Loaded
    2010 JPX - Barolo
    2011 JPX - Black Sugar - Roasted Maple Neck
    2012 JPXI7 - Onyx
    2013 JPBFR7 - Bahama Blue Burst Quilt
    2014 JP137 - Platinum Silver
    2015 Majesty7 - Polar Noir
    2015 JP6 PDN - Vintage Tobacco Burst
    2017 Bongo5HH - Stealth Black
    2017 Bongo5HH - Chili Red

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the original PUs of the JP7 but i used to have an Ibanez RG1527 with Blaze pick ups, and yeah on its own the bridge PU was way too hot for cleans, however on the 2nd position (split bridge and neck) it sounded great clean, so maybe installing a coil tap on your guitar could help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Cervera View Post
    however on the 2nd position (split bridge and neck) it sounded great clean, so maybe installing a coil tap on your guitar could help.
    The middle position on a JP does that anyway.

Personally, I never use bridge humbuckers for clean sounds on anything.
    '05 JP6 Desert Gold matching headstock, inlays, piezo
    '06 Silhouette 20th Anniversary (trem, rosewood)
    '06 Bongo Stealth 4HH
    '14 JP7 BFR Rosewood trans black quilt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
    The middle position on a JP does that anyway.

Personally, I never use bridge humbuckers for clean sounds on anything.
    I know I'd better adjust the clean channel to fit the neck pup. Since hitting the middle position on the fly is a bit tricky. The bridge pup just hotter than everything I tried, EMGs, Duncans, Dimarzios, etc.
    2004 JP7 - Pearl Red Burst - Fully Loaded
    2010 JPX - Barolo
    2011 JPX - Black Sugar - Roasted Maple Neck
    2012 JPXI7 - Onyx
    2013 JPBFR7 - Bahama Blue Burst Quilt
    2014 JP137 - Platinum Silver
    2015 Majesty7 - Polar Noir
    2015 JP6 PDN - Vintage Tobacco Burst
    2017 Bongo5HH - Stealth Black
    2017 Bongo5HH - Chili Red

User Info Menu

I never use the bridge pup for cleans. Too harsh.

User Info Menu

I do not have experience with that specific pickup, but for me a treble bleed circuit and rolling back the volume pot works.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP