New Prodigy

Thread: 2015 Majesty Died - Please help.

User Info Menu

2015 Majesty Died - Please help.

Hi All,

So my #1 favourite guitar, my 2015 Majesty was working perfectly and then when I plugged it in the other day it was dead. Thinking it was just dead preamp batteries, I went ahead and changed those. I would get a blue light and a quick red flash but no sound after trying multiple times and hitting and switching all the knobs and switches. So I thought the rechargeable batteries that I usually use were dead and purchased brand new Duracells. Still nothing. When I plug in the 1/4 jack I get a brief blue light and thats it, no sound.

I contacted customer support and they responded immediately and had me do a preamp re-set procedure and that didn't work either, so now I'm faced with shipping it to CA and will have to pay for the repairs as it's no longer under warranty. I just heard back from MM customer service again and they advised that it could be as simple as needing a new battery box or it could need a new wiring harness. It's a little frustrating as this will be the second time that I have had to ship this guitar to CA.

Have any of you had this issue and were you able to fix it locally without having to ship it all the way to CA?
    Last edited by tonechaser1; 08-25-2016 at 04:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't have an answer for you, sorry. That blows, but...

Not to be a Debbie Downer...but I believe you aren't supposed to use rechargeable batteries in the Majesty. That could be the cause of your problem. But I'm not CS. Nor do I know anything about science.

User Info Menu

I would definitely look for a good local guitar tech who can perhaps diagnose or possibly fix the issue for you.

I would also talk to CS one more time - perhaps they can send you the parts and you can have them installed locally? I'd hazard a guess that they will require you to send back the defective parts before they ship the new ones out, or perhaps they can send them a dealer near you who will do the swap and install (at your cost obviously). If EBMM will do something like that for you, it could be the fastest and cheapest option.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarshreda View Post
    but I believe you aren't supposed to use rechargeable batteries in the Majesty. That could be the cause of your problem. But I'm not CS. Nor do I know anything about science.
    True, some types of rechargeables are not ideal because they naturally give out a lower voltage than regular batteries. Not an issue for analog electronics but when a digital system is involved (and the Majesty user the Game Changer for switching) it needs a certain minimum voltage to operate at all, and you will generally reach that point faster with rechargeables. Again talk to CS about it. Also I have no idea what current state of the art is with rechargeable batteries and if this is an issue with all rechargeables so perhaps read some about that too.
    Last edited by DrKev; 08-25-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your responses guys.

In fairness, I feel obligated to mention that MM customer service has been great with this whole issue, as per my usual experience with them. This is in large part why I buy their guitars, aside from the obvious quality for dollar ratio.

I had know idea regarding the rechargeable battery issue. I use the same rechargeable batteries in my Luke 3 and have had no issues yet...

If you could elaborate on what types of rechargeable batteries I should be using, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I know the guys at MM are giving you amazing service. Never doubted that for a second. One of the reasons why I play these instruments (other than being amazing!).

As for the batteries, the Luke 3 doesn't have the game changer tech in it. So I imagine that it's not the same situation. The L3 is all analog tech, where as the Majesty is digital tech -- that's where the issue of rechargeable batteries comes in. When I purchased my Majesty I was told not to use any rechargeable batteries.

User Info Menu

Rechargeable Batteries in a Majesty?

Fifth post down, A.J. specifically states not to use rechargeable batteries in the Majesty.
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

User Info Menu

No offense, but did you make sure to check all the basics?
    Volume knobs, different cables, etc..?

It's easy to miss theses sometimes..
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjin View Post
    Rechargeable Batteries in a Majesty?

Fifth post down, A.J. specifically states not to use rechargeable batteries in the Majesty.
    Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarshreda View Post
    The L3 is all analog tech, where as the Majesty is digital tech -- that's where the issue of rechargeable batteries comes in.
    In case anyone is wondering, switching system is digital (faster and smoother than a traditional mechanical switch) but the signal path from pickups to jack remains analog.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    In case anyone is wondering, switching system is digital (faster and smoother than a traditional mechanical switch) but the signal path from pickups to jack remains analog.
    Yes!