Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Anybody ever refinish a headstock?

User Info Menu

Anybody ever refinish a headstock?

I'm not a big fan of "matching headstocks", and considering refinishing a neck to remove the color (Sunset Purple) from Morse Y2D headstock.

Mostly interested in what's a good "stripper" for the finish as EBMM puts some tough stuff on their guitars!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

User Info Menu

Googling "good stripper" should keep you entertained for a while

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Lol! Indeed!
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

User Info Menu

Been there, done that!
    Curator of The Morseum

User Info Menu

Back in the early 90's when I had my first Silhouette with a finished neck, I tried to use paint stripper to remove the finish. Long story short: no matter what I did, the finish barely budged but it did soften after a long long wait. It was a hard mess to clean up and fix.

I had no idea that there was a difference between finish types as I've always been able to use paint stripper on other guitars. Learned years later that EBMM uses polyurethane. I've seen folks remove poly with a heat gun in videos. I've never tried it myself, but it should work. You'll still need to remove the stain from the maple (if there is any) as the heat gun will only remove the poly.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kimonostereo View Post
    Back in the early 90's when I had my first Silhouette with a finished neck, I tried to use paint stripper to remove the finish. Long story short: no matter what I did, the finish barely budged but it did soften after a long long wait. It was a hard mess to clean up and fix.

I had no idea that there was a difference between finish types as I've always been able to use paint stripper on other guitars. Learned years later that EBMM uses polyurethane. I've seen folks remove poly with a heat gun in videos. I've never tried it myself, but it should work. You'll still need to remove the stain from the maple (if there is any) as the heat gun will only remove the poly.
    Polyurethane isn't *too* tough to strip - but I think EBMM use a polyester finish which is a MONSTER to strip...

Yeah, I have a heat gun - easy to scorch the wood with that too (says a guy who's scorched wood with a heat gun ).

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kestrou View Post
    I'm not a big fan of "matching headstocks", and considering refinishing a neck to remove the color (Sunset Purple) from Morse Y2D headstock.
    Might be easier to look for a Y2D with non-matching headstock? I say that fully realizing how much you'd hate to think about buying another guitar...
    ---------------
    2018 Valentine in Three-tone Burst
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Might be easier to look for a Y2D with non-matching headstock? I say that fully realizing how much you'd hate to think about buying another guitar...
    Yup, that's what I would do - swap necks and sell (or keep) the newest guitar.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://www.DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

Cool

my man !!!!!!
    i would use a hand scrapper. thats what i use on finished necks. because its a flat surface it will be a lot of work, but a hand scrapper like they use on furniture will provide excellent control.
    Last edited by tommyindelaware; 09-21-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/