Not electric until you plug it in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for another pickup swap on my Axis. thoughts?

User Info Menu

Yes, Dimarzio Transitions all the way!

User Info Menu

I love the original pickups in the Axis which I believe are the same as in the Al HH.
    For something similar to the original pickups but with a little more detail (I realize you don't have the originals and are looking for more detail compared to what you have now but....) I also agree with the PRS Dragon II option.
    However, another pickup I really love that sounds very sweet, kind of a slightly hotter P.A.F - type pickup, is the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon. It's also very touch sensitive (as is the Dragon II) and can get some great output but also cleans up nicely with a lighter touch.

Probably the same can be said for many pickups but these 2 are ones I have experience with and have compared directly to the original pickups in my Al HH.

Bongo 5H, BFR Roasted, Black Sugar
    Bongo 5Hp Fretless, Mahogany, Roasted, Honey Burst

User Info Menu

So I think I may go with Dimarzio AT-1 for the bridge and 36th Anniversary for the neck. I may end up getting the Thornbuckers at some point for my Epiphone LP
    EBMM Axis Trans Red
    EBMM JP15 Trans black quilt
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
    EVH R/W/B striped series
    Axe-Fx II|Atomic CLR Wedges X 2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka5150 View Post
    So I think I may go with Dimarzio AT-1 for the bridge and 36th Anniversary for the neck. I may end up getting the Thornbuckers at some point for my Epiphone LP
    Nice, very versatile combo that sounds great. Those pickups work very well together. I had an AT-1/36th combo in a guitar for a couple of years, and I was very happy with them.
    Where's your Majesty?

User Info Menu

Why don't u get a set of Axis PUs?
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    Why don't u get a set of Axis PUs?
    If some were readily available I would. At the same time I don't mind trying something else
    EBMM Axis Trans Red
    EVH R/W/B striped series

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka5150 View Post
    Did you complete this swap? Impressions of the new pickups?
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

I did. At first it took my ears time to adjust, coming from the Suhr Aldrich pups. they were a real beast (in a good way). so much more compressed. After fiddling around with pickup height and pole piece adjustments I am now loving theses new pickups. The 36th anniversary neck PU is beautiful. such clarity and balance. I can see why this is a fav for neck PU. The AT-1 sounds a hell of a lot like the original dimarzio originals in the axis to my ears and memory. I got exactly what I was after: just more clarity and note definition between strings and also well balanced. Pull of cleans as well as dirty with no problems. They are quite versatile and well suited for my styles. Very happy with the combination here. I also just ordered dimarzio transitions to put in my epiphone.
    EBMM Axis Trans Red
    EVH R/W/B striped series

User Info Menu

Great - thanks for the update!
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Probably too late but a Bill lawrence pickup like the L-500 might be something to try if you need more clarity in the bridge. You can't use the normal parameters to measure if this will work for you, ohm's etc don't really work as a predictor for how this pickup will sound. It has exceptional clarity on chords and great bass but doesn't get harsh on the B and E string when you play single notes. You see it most often with Nuno and Dime bag Darrel.

Nuno is about the heaviest I ever get. I found the pickup surprisingly versatile. FWIW.

User Info Menu

Hi, guys! I'm a newcomer. Hope this thread ain't dead yet.
    I got '04 EBMM Axis Super Sport. Would like to change the neck pickup - to me it's a bit bassy and mid-rangey. It sounds great actually - very warm, balanced. But I prefer more blues/classic rock sound. More transparent. I'm not a shredder guy - more into 70's classic/prog-rock area or 80's new-wave (but again, no shredding, haha). Clapton, Gilmour, Alex Lifeson, Steve Hackett, Andy Summers, Robert Fripp are my favourites.

I just wonder if 36 anniv PAF in the neck will work fine with a stock bridge pickup (it's close to Tone Zone, right?). And are there any issues/problems in changing pickups on Axis?

Cheers.
    Dennis.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jptortor View Post
    They aren't so easy to find, but the PRS Dragon II pickups are a pretty great vintage hot type of sound. Lots of clarity.
    I second this. Or a Dimarzio Super Distortion. I have one in the bridge on my Axis with an MM90 in the neck, and it is incredible versatile. I also get good breakup with the Dimarzio without needing to go balls deep with the fuzz/distortion/gain on my amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stu42 View Post
    I love the original pickups in the Axis which I believe are the same as in the Al HH.
    For something similar to the original pickups but with a little more detail (I realize you don't have the originals and are looking for more detail compared to what you have now but....) I also agree with the PRS Dragon II option.
    However, another pickup I really love that sounds very sweet, kind of a slightly hotter P.A.F - type pickup, is the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon. It's also very touch sensitive (as is the Dragon II) and can get some great output but also cleans up nicely with a lighter touch.

Probably the same can be said for many pickups but these 2 are ones I have experience with and have compared directly to the original pickups in my Al HH.
    I have to +1 the Duncan Screamin Demon. I have it in my main Morse and I love it because it's like a PAF with a bit of octane. It stays tight sounding even with a lot of gain. Individual notes seem more clear too. There's also an added bonus The coil split sounds really great with hardly any volume drop.
    I avoided this pickup for years (don't know why) I tried it finally when I found a used one cheap. I really like it a lot. Note clarity is a big deal for me too. I don't have great technique and a lot of gain can get sloppy sounding fast for me. I can really hear my notes better.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

up

User Info Menu

I will add to this, so thanks for everyone who posted. How will I adjust the Pick up height since on the Axis they are screwed into the body and way way further from the strings then any other humbuckers I have ever used. Had it for 10 years and just cant stand the bridge pickup. Love the neck though
    Thanks