Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass

Thread: Sting ray

User Info Menu

Sting ray

I recently tried a sterling sting ray at guitar center and liked it a lot a lot simpler than my Steve Morse guitar I was thinking about selling my morse to get it. My question is whats the difference between the American made Sting ray and the Sterling.

User Info Menu

Think the USA is probably lighter. It has a different bridge on it, tho still a trem, the locking tuners are slightly different, and the pickups will be different. Not heard them back to back so couldn't comment sound wise. Both Mahogany I believe.
    Outside the guitar the USA will have a case with it

User Info Menu

Thanks for your response I looked at guitar center online and it showed the radius for the sterling was 12" and the usa model was a 10 . The sterling felt real comfortable to me but I don't know if I would like the 10" all my guitars are 12"

User Info Menu

The 10 is very comfortable.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

User Info Menu

If I were you I'd probably give the sterling a go. For 500 dollars you can't go wrong - all reports I've read say it compares well with a high end Mexican Fender. If you go on YouTube Andertons reviewed the sterling Stingray and the Cutlass - might be worth a watch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    If I were you I'd probably give the sterling a go. For 500 dollars you can't go wrong - all reports I've read say it compares well with a high end Mexican Fender. If you go on YouTube Andertons reviewed the sterling Stingray and the Cutlass - might be worth a watch
    The Sterlings are great guitars for the money. I can't think of anything in that price range that compares quality wise. I do think that if you have the extra cash for the EBMM it is totally worth it though.

User Info Menu

Agreed. If you have the extra cash get the Ernie. Selling a morse would get you darn close

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Replies felllas I appreciate the input I have a G&L strat that I don't play much maybe I'll sell that and a tele and get the sting ray and keep the morse decisions decisions

User Info Menu

No worries man. Gotta admit I'd be loath to let a morse go. How do you find the G&L? Always fancied one for the collection

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fender74 View Post
    Thanks for the Replies felllas I appreciate the input I have a G&L strat that I don't play much maybe I'll sell that and a tele and get the sting ray and keep the morse decisions decisions
    That's how it starts...

User Info Menu

The G&L is a nice guitar I changed the pick ups its the fist time I ever changed pick ups and took out the passive treble bass feature I couldn't wrap my head around it. The guitar always sounded overly brite. I don't play it as much since I got my Morse