Ernie Ball CRNR Keith Richards
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amp - should go digital modelling?

Another vote for a higher end modeler. If you aren't playing out, and there are EVER concerns over volume, you're going to be handcuffed with a tube amp - which means you'll either get less out of your practice, or you'll practice less. Personally, I'm a Fractal guy, but the Kemper and Helix sound great as well (I'm jonesing for a Helix now). Keep in mind that the Fractal products and Helix are full fledged modelers, wheras the Kemper is a profiler. It is true that you can end up in tweaking hell with the modelers, but the tones are all in there. With the Kemper, if you don't like the profiles that come with the unit and can't get what you want via eq, you could end up weeding through thousands of profiles on the web...which could be hell as well. Just go in with your eyes open and try to set your expectations appropriately.

Mike
    2016 PDN Starry Night Cutlass (Natural Headstock)
    2010 Barolo JPX (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2007 Bahama Blue Sparkle Back BFR Luke (GC Exclusive)
    2007 Blue Dawn LE JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2006 Dargie Delight I Luke (No Piezo, Natural Headstock)
    2005 Sapphire Black JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)

I don't have a lot of experience with Fractal or Kemper, but last month I got a Boogie Mark V 35 combo and I love it. It's very versatile and is a tone monster. Good luck with your decision.
    Music Man Majesty - Glacial Frost
    Mesa Boogie Mark Five: 35 Combo - Baby Blue Bronco

fb: @steverosephotos
    ig: @steve_rose
    steverosephotos.com

For me, the decision is down to how many tones you need.
    I'm not gigging at the moment, but since it would be in a covers band anyway I'd need lots of different amp sounds. Much as the Roadster was the best amp I ever gigged with, I was still trying to force it to sound like something else. Which defeats the object of having a 'signature' sound.
    If you just want Petrucci, buy the JP-2C. But if it's versatility, go for the modeller.
    PM me if you'd like to hear the Helix. Or there's a couple of 'local' shops that have them.
    EBMM JP 7 - Pearl Redburst
    EBMM JP 6 - Mystic Dream
    EBMM SUB-1

Get the Fractal, absolutely.

As stated earlier, I love my Fractal Axe FX II+ but it was a leap of faith buying it; none of the Vancouver, BC area stores carry one to try out. I watched every YouTube video and read a bunch of reviews and joined the Fractal Forum before taking the plunge. One really important factor is what you play it through should you choose this route; without really good headphones or studio monitors, you will not experience what the thing can really do.
    Rick

'16 EBMM Majesty 6 Arctic Dream

Quote Originally Posted by trolley View Post
    For me, the decision is down to how many tones you need.
    I'm not gigging at the moment, but since it would be in a covers band anyway I'd need lots of different amp sounds. Much as the Roadster was the best amp I ever gigged with, I was still trying to force it to sound like something else. Which defeats the object of having a 'signature' sound.
    If you just want Petrucci, buy the JP-2C. But if it's versatility, go for the modeller.
    PM me if you'd like to hear the Helix. Or there's a couple of 'local' shops that have them.
    That signature sounds is in jp's hands but to be honest, I think that JP-2C is just as versatile as the mark v. Personally it's seems to many people are going to pass that amp over because of jp's name on it. Kinda of sad when you think about it.

Home recording and jamming it's easier to go with a quality modeler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KasperFauerby View Post
    Just want to throw something at you regarding that Torpedo Live unit (because I was also VERY tempted by that piece of equipment for quite a while).

Something that I personally think isn't totally clear is the fact that the actual processing that is done in the hardware unit is (by their own words on their forum) the exact same algorithm that is applied when you use their free "Wall of Sound III" plugin!

So once I found that out I realized that the Torpedo Live is quite accurately named - it's a tool for having cab sim in a live situation. When recording, all it does is force you to "bake" one particular cab setting into your track, whereas using the WoS plugin allows you to tweak the cab sim settings during mixing.

The other thing that the Torpedo Live unit gives you is a Loadbox, so you can connect a tube amp without a speaker. But I found the Rivera RockCrusher to be a better option for that particular use case, since it's a passive piece of equipment (and thus dead silent) where the Torpedo Live has a fan in it.

Just something to consider, should you go the way of wanting to record tube amps silently with cab sim...

I see thanks for the clarification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something no one else has mentioned: Your Petrucci is most likely piezo equipped?

A high end modeller will leverage that like no other single amp purchase.

I run the piezo through a Taylor IR in my Helix and it sounds fantastic. So not only did the modeller get rid of my amps, it got rid of my acoustic.

I've had my Helix for almost 10 months now and I don't think I've turned on one of my amps in that time.
    "Do you want me to start this song too slow or too fast?"

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6, Steve Morse, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    4 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Yamaha S90XS, Hammond XK-3c

BUC is right on; with Fractal (and I'm sure Helix is the same) there are a huge amount of settings made by other users that can be downloaded directly into the Axe FX, saving a lot of time. Some of the acoustic settings are really incredible; I have one that makes my Majesty piezo sound very like an acoustic guitar; even has that acoustic shimmer when the strings are played harder.

As well, the Axe FX can be fed a real guitar or real amp sound, compares it to what you play and will model it to closely resemble the guitar/amp set-up used. Very cool and well worth looking into if this is all new to you.
    Rick

Okay guys... many, many thanks for all the great info and replies.

Decision made - I'm going for the Axe Fx II XL+. It really has taken me some time to come to this decision, but its mainly based on that I will have lots of time on my hands to "learn" the Fractal, I can get into some direct recording and its a departure from what I have been used to.

Exciting times!!!

ZeeW: please heed my earlier advice about playing the AxeFX through good headphones or good studio monitors if you want to get the most out of it, especially the stereo effects. I run mine through a pair of older Behringer Truth 2031 monitors and I'm really happy with the range of tones. If you have not already done so, I strongly recommend joining the Fractal forum and learning a little more before you take the plunge.

Fractal Audio Systems Forum

Good luck
    Rick

Well, after much consideration and many many years of playing with nothing but tube amps, not to mention a couple amps and a pedal board that serves me very well, I decided to buy a Helix. I have no urgent plans to move from my current rig, rather plan to take my time and ease into it. I am an old guy in a new world, but am excited to learn this thing. I do need to get a speaker - so far, the little I have used it is with headsets which is far from ideal.....
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Mike- run the out to your FX loop IN on your tube amp, and boom... free "speaker".

I switched to the fractal AX8 over a year ago, and i cant go back. As another "old guy" (kinda--- 41), I love showing up and able to carry 2 guitars and my "rig" in one trip.... and still have a hand free to carry my In-N-Out burger!
    -Spike
    @blueavngr

2017 Valentine- Starry Night
    2015 JP15 Blueberry (63/300)

"I don't sell my guitars-- they are like ex-girlfriends. You get tired with them and toss them to the side... but then, every once in a while… Damn! You really want to play with them again."

I just bought an AX8, after considering Fractal's products for a while. It should arrive tomorrow, so I am excited to have a versatile, compact unit that sounds good at low volume for home. Planning to keep my Mark V:25 where my band practices, as we really don't vary much in our tones.

I'm waiting for more reviews on the Headrush.....
    '15 JP15 BBB | '14 PDN JP6 | '10 JP6 Mystic Dream | '13 JP70 (w/CL/LF)
    '13 LP Traditional | '13 EPi LP | '10 LP Classic | 89' LP Std
    '16 Amer Strat HSS
    Mark IV | RA-100 | (2) 2x12 Recto Slant
    Dunlop Limited Wah | EBMM Volume
    GCP/GCX | EVH Phase & Flange | Dreamscape | Archer | Nova Drive | G-Major 2