Everlast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Just got my necks " maintened "

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Red face Just got my necks " maintened "

    For the second time, my friend Alex who sold me his luke HH olive gold made me the maintenance routine on both of my luke necks.

    He watched every tutorials about it, bought the right wax, oils, accessoires, and this time we made it together as I wanted to learn...

    Necks smells good and feels even better...

    It's something that has to be done once a year and I reminded me that yes...It's one year that I came back to Luke's ( and switched to bogner )

    You really don't see time flying when you play great gear....
    currently recording my second solo album for grooveyard records on LIII HH / HSS

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Yes sir - they do feel and smell great after the maintenance and cleaning!!
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Yes, I'm looking forward to doing it when I get home from my winter migration.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


    An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Can anyone recommend a good tutorial video for this?

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    I have seen a few tutorials, and they differ but I tend to stick to my own routine, again which may differ from others, which is:

    1. Very lightly sand the neck with 1000grit sandpaper (or wire wool), then wipe off any dust.
    2. Wipe the neck clean with Murphy Oil Soap, using a paper towel, then wipe off the excess.
    3. Apply a small amount of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, and wipe off immediately with a dry paper towel.
    4. Apply a small amount of Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax, and again immediately wipe off with a dry paper towel.
    5. Repeat no. 4 until the desired lustre is achieved.

    Job done!
    Last edited by Craiguitar; 12-29-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    1993 LUKE I Pearl Blue DOB: 15/12/1993
    1998 LUKE II Luke Blue DOB: 05/10/1998 Signed by Lucious
    2012 LUKE II PDN Classic Honey Burst DOB: 31/08/2012
    2013 LIII HH Bodhi Blue DOB: 17/09/2013


    Fractal MFC101
    Matrix GT1000FX
    Marshall 4x12 & 2x12

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TrapperJ View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good tutorial video for this?
    It would be great for EBMM to post a quick tutorial on their blog on this. Would help highlight the qualities of their necks, too.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


    An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Why would you need to sand a neck for maintenance? That seems crazy.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Crazy? Not at all. The necks are effectively unfinished, the oil and wax is just a very light coat. As the neck gets dirty with use it can start feeling a little rougher than it was when it left the factory. Using a very light grade sandpaper or steel wool removes virtually no wood but restores the neck to the super smooth finish that we all love.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

    Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

    Required reading - Forum Decorum

    Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service


    An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Why would you need to sand a neck for maintenance? That seems crazy.
    Well, it's not. The grain of the sandpaper is so fine that you're not actually sanding down the wood, you're just helping remove grime, dirt, and oil from the neck.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    I can confirm !

    10 years ago my old luke 2 was like gluing, no way to find how to fix that. the thing is that the gunstock wax was not allowed to be sold in france at that time.

    now we have a special kit from a german store with everything needed. ( except the sandpaper that is to basic ) but I think it would be cool that if music man would sell a full maintenance kit with everything from the neck to the fretboard, with sand papers, wax, oils, accesoires...

    sounds like such a good idea that the did it already ?
    currently recording my second solo album for grooveyard records on LIII HH / HSS

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MesaBeno View Post
    Well, it's not. The grain of the sandpaper is so fine that you're not actually sanding down the wood, you're just helping remove grime, dirt, and oil from the neck.

    Hmm, interesting, wouldn't it be easier to just wipe down the neck each time you use it, or is that not enough?

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Craiguitar View Post
    I have seen a few tutorials, and they differ but I tend to stick to my own routine, again which may differ from others, which is:

    1. Very lightly sand the neck with 1000grit sandpaper (or wire wool), then wipe off any dust.
    2. Wipe the neck clean with Murphy Oil Soap, using a paper towel, then wipe off the excess.
    3. Apply a small amount of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, and wipe off immediately with a dry paper towel.
    4. Apply a small amount of Birchwood Casery Gunstock Wax, and again immediately wipe off with a dry paper towel.
    5. Repeat no. 4 until the desired lustre is achieved.

    Job done!
    I basically do the same except do #3 twice allowing it to dry 60 seconds before wiping it off. I have never sanded. So far I haven't sanded any mine, I keep them clean with wonder wipes with string changes, and hands clean and rotate guitars often. But i do have one that has been feeling kinda dry/rough and may benefit from sanding.

    I might add also, keep using fresh new paper towels with each step and apply the murphy's, gunstock oil and gunstock wax with separate soft cloths (I use white t-shirts i cut up into small pieces). Also the if you use bottle Murphys it should be diluted 3-1 with water and put on and cleaned off very quickly and thoroughly dried
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post
    I basically do the same except do #3 twice allowing it to dry 60 seconds before wiping it off. I have never sanded. So far I haven't sanded any mine, I keep them clean with wonder wipes with string changes, and hands clean and rotate guitars often. But i do have one that has been feeling kinda dry/rough and may benefit from sanding.

    I might add also, keep using fresh new paper towels with each step and apply the murphy's, gunstock oil and gunstock wax with separate soft cloths (I use white t-shirts i cut up into small pieces). Also the if you use bottle Murphys it should be diluted 3-1 with water and put on and cleaned off very quickly and thoroughly dried
    I just ordered bottled Murphy's, better use it diluted with 3 parts water?
    Thank you.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordarino View Post
    I just ordered bottled Murphy's, better use it diluted with 3 parts water?
    Thank you.
    Yes if its the bottle because its concentrated. The wipes and spray (if you ever find them, I can't anymore) is already diluted.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums