Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Welcome to the Morseum!

Is it a private story with steve and his friend and the frankentele?
    Or can you share?

Also that chest of drawers with a few vases on them downstairs is taking up valuable guitar real estate!
    KEITH
    FAMOUSLY SNARKY SINCE 2003

Does the DiMarzio frankentele have different pickups than the Morse signature pickups? Does it sound much different through an amp than the EBMM model? As we all know, there are some critics out there who liked the old Frankentele sound with the Dregs but who are not so crazy about his current sound. I've always thought it was more about the high gain amps, but is there some not so subtle difference between the Frankentele and the EBMM Morse original?

Quote Originally Posted by jwp333 View Post
    Does the DiMarzio frankentele have different pickups than the Morse signature pickups? Does it sound much different through an amp than the EBMM model? As we all know, there are some critics out there who liked the old Frankentele sound with the Dregs but who are not so crazy about his current sound. I've always thought it was more about the high gain amps, but is there some not so subtle difference between the Frankentele and the EBMM Morse original?
    I'd be interested in this as well. I hear a difference in Steve's sound between the Frankentele and EBMM model. I wonder if some of it is because of changes in amps and effects around the time the guitar changed. The analog delay (or effect) that produces a chorusing effect, which to me can sometimes sound sterile, is something I associate with early EBMM Morse tone. The best example I can think of is the Steve Morse Band Live in Germany. I love it...but it sounds different than the pre-EBMM tones.

jwp333 and Samoht,

I honestly couldn't tell you if the tone is all that different... There's such a combination of amps, pedals, cables, recording microphones/EQ/compression, etc. that it's really impossible to tell from the recordings...

I'd have to get it down and do some demos of it "back to back" with, say, one of "the first 50" to have a truly accurate comparison - and my FrankenTele is way up high out of reach.

I promise the next time I need to replace the light bulb in the stairwell that I'll grab it off the wall and do some comparisons - will throw in a recent Morse and recent Y2D as well just to see what tonal differences there are.

Good idea gang!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

Oh the burden some endure...lol. (Jking)

You don't have a fluorescent or LED lightbulb up there do you?