BFR Feb 2020

Thread: JP12 7 x JP7 neck

User Info Menu

JP12 7 x JP7 neck

For those who have or had EBMM JPs 7 strings, is it much different the neck of a JP11 or 12 from the JP7, given the difference in radius? I'm talking more about the back of the neck.

I have a JP12 7 and with 20" radius it's very thin, I like it but somethimes I think it's too much, I'd like to know if the JP7 gives a more rounded feel for the grip or if the differente is not that much, I'm considering a trade so I'm evaluating all details.

Thanks

User Info Menu

There's a post at the top of these forums with the details you're looking for:

John Petrucci Signature Series Buying Guide on Music-Man.com Blog
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

User Info Menu

yeah the 15" radius on the original jp and the bfr are great. i sometimes think my 12 is too thin and flat. i think they really nailed it by going in the middle with 17"

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken, the back of the neck shape has stayed consistent since the original JP model? The fretboard radius has changed throughout the years, like others have stated above.

And it seems like the thickness from 6 to 7 string models is also consistent, but as the 7 strings are obviously wider the neck feels flatter relatively speaking than the 6 string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohbugger View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the back of the neck shape has stayed consistent since the original JP model? The fretboard radius has changed throughout the years, like others have stated above.

And it seems like the thickness from 6 to 7 string models is also consistent, but as the 7 strings are obviously wider the neck feels flatter relatively speaking than the 6 string.
    The back of neck on my 3 jp7's all are different but its not by much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Owned both JP6 and JP7 in the past. Own JPXI, JP12 now. Back of the neck is relatively the same, main difference as you stated is the radius =)

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohbugger View Post

Yeah I have 2 JP12, a 6 and a 7, obviously 20" radius feels a lot flatter but I think the 7 due to the wider neck gives more of that impression, I tested other 7's and it feels similar, no brand can go with a very rounded back of the neck on a 7 string or no one would be able to play.

Thanks