Majesty New Colors 2021

Thread: Guitar for Sale question and S/N's.

User Info Menu

Guitar for Sale question and S/N's.

Question: When you see guitars for sale on the internet, sometimes they will show the S/N of the guitar for sale but sometimes they will only show a partial S/N.

Any idea why that is? Is there something bad that can happen if you give out the S/N of your guitar?
    Guitarist, Keyboardist, owner of the Academy of Noise and the Red Door Studio.
    Kansastribute.com

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6,, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    3 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Stingray Bass.

User Info Menu

There have been cases of bad people using other peoples pictures to create false ads.

Not showing the s/n is a safety precaution.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I always wondered that myself - now I know

User Info Menu

i guess they afraid someone will make false ads using the picture shown. but i think that is a good idea if everyone can do that.

User Info Menu

I was asking because I was selling a guitar on CL and a prospective buyer asked me for the S/N. He ended up buying the guitar but I was concerned about passing it to him. I felt like he had a legit reason to ask for the S/N but at the same time I didn't want to help someone commit fraud with my guitar.

I guess in the end though, it's pretty easy to make up a fake S/N with a little research and then grab pics off of the internet.
    Guitarist, Keyboardist, owner of the Academy of Noise and the Red Door Studio.
    Kansastribute.com

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6,, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    3 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Stingray Bass.

User Info Menu

With every EBMM I've bought used I requested the serial number and asked EB to confirm the data (if it hadn't already been posted in the serial number thread anyway). If I'm interested in your guitar and you don't give out the serial I'm not buying it.
    '05 JP6 Desert Gold matching headstock, inlays, piezo
    '06 Silhouette 20th Anniversary (trem, rosewood)
    '06 Bongo Stealth 4HH
    '14 JP7 BFR Rosewood trans black quilt