Ernie Ball Tremolo Pedal
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Luke III - Transition Humbucker

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Luke III - Transition Humbucker

    Hi,

    I got my brand new Luke III in Bodhi Blue HSS late last week. Used it on a gig Saturday, it played very well, I've had a Luke before, as well as JPs and Axis' (Axises...lol) so I am familiar with how great the necks are.

    What do you guys think about these Transition pickups, specifically the humbucker? I can't decide. At first, I was very underwhelmed, it seems I had to really re-EQ and increase drive to get the clear, punchy tones I'm used to with nearly all my guitars. The Transitions seems a little dull in the highs and output. I actually broke a string on it mid-gig and switched to a backup...it was like someone turned up the volume! As if the Luke was a "quieter" guitar...I've never experienced that before.

    But at the same time, I like the tone, it just seems to make me work a little harder for things.

    So I don't know...the 9 volt is brand new as it should be, and I would think there isn't an issue/defect. Maybe the Transition isn't the pickup for me, but it sure does look cool!!!

    What are your experiences/thoughts with these pups?

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayneman View Post
    Hi,

    I got my brand new Luke III in Bodhi Blue HSS late last week. Used it on a gig Saturday, it played very well, I've had a Luke before, as well as JPs and Axis' (Axises...lol) so I am familiar with how great the necks are.

    What do you guys think about these Transition pickups, specifically the humbucker? I can't decide. At first, I was very underwhelmed, it seems I had to really re-EQ and increase drive to get the clear, punchy tones I'm used to with nearly all my guitars. The Transitions seems a little dull in the highs and output. I actually broke a string on it mid-gig and switched to a backup...it was like someone turned up the volume! As if the Luke was a "quieter" guitar...I've never experienced that before.

    But at the same time, I like the tone, it just seems to make me work a little harder for things.

    So I don't know...the 9 volt is brand new as it should be, and I would think there isn't an issue/defect. Maybe the Transition isn't the pickup for me, but it sure does look cool!!!

    What are your experiences/thoughts with these pups?
    Interesting because I've had exactly the opposite experience with my HH model. Compared to my other Luke's the LIII sounds incredibly loud. Way louder! Too Loud because I need to reduce the input trim on my Axe-Fx to tame the immense volume that guitar kicks out. Also, the pickups are stingingly bright and brash sounding. I've found in a live setting that actually helps cut through so it's a good thing, but at low volume like at home just practicing etc. I really struggle to get it to sound anywhere near as good as the EMGs in my Luke's 1 and 2.

    I think the preamp in the LIII should have another control on it to reduce the overall level it kicks out.
    1993 LUKE I Pearl Blue DOB: 15/12/1993
    1998 LUKE II Luke Blue DOB: 05/10/1998 Signed by Lucious
    2012 LUKE II PDN Classic Honey Burst DOB: 31/08/2012
    2013 LIII HH Bodhi Blue DOB: 17/09/2013


    Fractal MFC101
    Matrix GT1000FX
    Marshall 4x12 & 2x12

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    My HH L3 is louder than my 2 as well!

    Strange...Wonder what's up with it. Could be modified somehow if you got it used. People tend to do strange things to guitars.
    Luke III Bhodi blue,HH, Roasted Flame maple neck.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Baggedcereals View Post
    My HH L3 is louder than my 2 as well!

    Strange...Wonder what's up with it. Could be modified somehow if you got it used. People tend to do strange things to guitars.
    Mine was brand new. I get the impression it's supposed to be like that. I think it's the preamp, not the pickups that is making the difference.
    1993 LUKE I Pearl Blue DOB: 15/12/1993
    1998 LUKE II Luke Blue DOB: 05/10/1998 Signed by Lucious
    2012 LUKE II PDN Classic Honey Burst DOB: 31/08/2012
    2013 LIII HH Bodhi Blue DOB: 17/09/2013


    Fractal MFC101
    Matrix GT1000FX
    Marshall 4x12 & 2x12

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Firstly, to the OP, I'd call customer service to discuss.

    From my experience (I have a L3 HH and L3 SSH) the overall output/volume is on par with my Axis & JP6. My L3's are indeed louder than my Silo Special and Cutlass, but no where close to being as loud as my Majesty.

    I personally love the Transition Humbuckers - I find them very clear and well balanced, sound awesome clean and gained up.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    My LIII's are Louder than my II, but then I find my LII quieter than all my guitars. I really enjoy the transition pickups, I find they have a lot of clarity but have a big 'raw' quality about them.
    Musicman Luke BFR Bahama Blueburst, Sparkle Back (03/07/07) (1 of 10 signed by Luke)
    Musicman LIII BFR Blueberry Burst
    Musicman LIII Bodhi Blue
    Musicman Y2D

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    My LIII is louder than my Cutlass and my Vela. The volume of the pickups in my LIII are on par with other pickups in my stable volume wise but they all sound different. That's what I love about my LIII. It doesn't sound the same as the others but it plays noticeably better.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanhny View Post
    My LIII's are Louder than my II.
    Same impression here - when I plug in my L2 all my gain and master volume controls have to be cranked .
    I really like the bite of Transition , just wish I can split the bucker ...
    Otherwise just great pickups !
    Ex-guitar player .

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    The neck Transition is easily the best neck humbucker I've ever played.

    In fact I use it almost all the time.

    The bridge Transition?

    It's good, but I've probably got my settings too tuned in to the neck pup because it never sounds as good as the neck to my ears.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Hey guys thanks for the replies. Looks like everyone has had a different experience than I have with these pickups.

    I did buy the guitar new so there are no mods. It's also the HSS version, not sure if that makes a difference. I have played with it quite a bit now and it definitely appears to be quieter than my other other instruments but I usually use pretty high output pickups. It still sounds good and plays soooo well.

    I'll give CS a call.

    Thanks again.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    When I had my L3 HSS I found all three of the pickups to be very loud and hot. Of course it had great tone...I'd call customer service and discuss it with them.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by KevTN View Post
    When I had my L3 HSS I found all three of the pickups to be very loud and hot. Of course it had great tone...I'd call customer service and discuss it with them.
    Hi, just bought a LIII. I've the same issue, low volume and "nose" sound, in particular w neck pu. Did you solved it? The L3 sounds very lower compared to other guitars like the volume and tone control are not completely opened. The guitar is new with new battery

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Hi there,

    Congrats on getting an L3. I've never had an issue with the Transitions I have two L3's both in the HH config and they both sound great. They cut thru really well. I'm using one of them with the band and it get's used for most of our second set of the night and I really would like to use it all night but there are some songs that still need my Strat.

    I've not experienced the drop in volume in fact I find them the opposite a lot louder than my Strat. Could there be an issue with you pickups? or maybe the HSS config might suit you needs more?

    I hope that helps

    Cheers

    Paul

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    I have a Luke III HSS, and It's great. The transition humbucker is awesome, and something is definitely wrong if it seems to be low output. THe transition bridge should be around the same volume as a Tone Zone and other high output passive pickups.

    I would definitely check the battery to see if it is dying, as I believe that the preamp is always on, and if the battery dies you get no sound.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums