EBMM Stingray bass blue

Thread: Having trouble with neck size.

User Info Menu

Having trouble with neck size.

Have a Super Sport Hollow body with piezo and mm90s. The sound is amazing. Really nothing quite like it. More chime than humbuckers and more girth than single coils. However, the neck is so narrow at the nut that it causes me problems. Would anyone have an opinion on whether a Dirty Harry or Harmonic Design P90 in my old Hotrod Tele would get me close?
    Last edited by caballero59; 01-27-2017 at 11:24 AM.

User Info Menu

bump

User Info Menu

Best advice I can give you... Get used to that neck! It'll grow on you!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Candy Apple Red
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

For example, when picking single notes from an open chord "C", I often deaden a string or two. This happen to anyone else?

User Info Menu

That's happened to me the more you play the easier it gets

User Info Menu

My usual guitars are acoustics and I play finger style. Getting individual notes to sound is extremely important. My acoustics have a 45mm nut width MINIMUM! I've been looking for an electric to play finger style on for a long while and tried many guitars then stumbled on the super sport. I was worried about the narrow nut width but the neck is so delicious I've just made some slight adjustments to my left hand to aaccommodate the narrower nut. The trick I've found is to use more of the tip of the finger rather than the pad. Help that helps

User Info Menu

The MM90s aren't high output, so if you're looking for an equivalent, look for something not too hot. (Can't comment on the ones you've mentioned.) Also, the sound is the result of the whole package, so pickups won't get you all the way there.

As for the neck- I've never really had a problem switching between guitars or brands. You just have to adjust your technique to suit the instrument.

But yeah, if you really can't bond with it, sell it.
    Last edited by beej; 01-29-2017 at 04:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I got you...approaching the neck from more of a perpendicular orientation. My acoustics are Martin D-18VS and Takamine Cool Tube TF360SBG (both 1.75") and is that ever a change when switching from acoustic.

Seriously, I would love a wider neck but my rig sounds good direct to the PA (no amp or cab) and I'm afraid to change anything.
    Last edited by caballero59; 01-30-2017 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Pics? I might be interested

User Info Menu

If you love the sound, give your brain enough play time and you'll adjust your technique to the instrument.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    If you love the sound, give your brain enough play time and you'll adjust your technique to the instrument.
    Well-said. I've been playing an AL HH for almost 2 years and just switched to my new Silhouette PDN 2016 with a more shallow C profile. Neck width is the same yes but an adjustment for sure. After 5 days with it I'm adjusting nicely. It can be done. Patience.
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    SBMM AX30-D Natural Quilt
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    Well-said. I've been playing an AL HH for almost 2 years and just switched to my new Silhouette PDN 2016 with a more shallow C profile. Neck width is the same yes but an adjustment for sure. After 5 days with it I'm adjusting nicely. It can be done. Patience.
    Does the AL HH have a different neck profile that other MM guitars?

User Info Menu

From what I've read here (I've been around a while) and the ones I've played I'd say yes. It seems to be the most rounded C-shape profile of any of them. I believe the Steve Morse Dark Lord (good luck finding one) has a deeper C profile as well but it has a 12" radius vs the 10" of the AL. The Axis is similar but asymmetrical on the higher strings if I remember correctly. Hope that helps. When all else fails play some if you can!

All of the EBMM artist signature model guitars are built to the artist specs so what felt good to them is what they built. That's why all of them are different as far as neck profiles are concerned.
    Last edited by edhalen; 02-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    EBMM BFR Morse Tahitian Blue S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    SBMM AX30-D Natural Quilt
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."