Ernie Ball CRNR Mike Dirnt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My NAMM Experience/ Kudos To EBMM!

User Info Menu

My NAMM Experience/ Kudos To EBMM!

I知 not sure where to even start this post as I知 still reeling from my experience last weekend. But here goes. Please forgive the wordiness.

I was fortunate enough to be invited as a guest to NAMM 2017. This is something I致e dreamed of going to for almost two decades. I walked into the building feeling like a kid in a candy store and, mind whirling, decided to start with the exhibits on the lowest floor. As I strolled down the aisles, trying to appear to be cool and collected (as opposed to inside my head doing split jumps and cartwheels yelling 的樽 FINALLY HERE!!!), a text came in from a buddy of mine, 鄭lbert Lee is at the EBMM booth賠禰UH??!!賠Franticly swiping through my NAMM app looking for directions (the convention centre is a very large place!) another text comes in 塗all C賠..hall C, hall C..where the hell痴 hall C?!!! In almost full sprint now (sincere apologies to exhibitors whose displays became casualties as well as those of you on the escalator who were bowled over during the scrum), and out of breath, I see the 滴all C sign! Ha! Made it! Rounding the corner and entering the door I found myself surrounded by trombones and trumpets?!!! One horrible wrong turn and I'd gone from extreme excitement to sheer terror! More frantic swiping and slapping of the NAMM app! AHA!! The EBMM 澱ooth!! Now, I知 not sure why they call these 澱ooths, these are full on music stores!

Again, trying to collect myself and still out of breath, I walk in to see Mr. Lee casually standing there, chatting with someone. Albert Lee. Now what?? I desperately wanted to introduce myself, get a picture with him, let him know how much I enjoy the AL guitar I own, his playing etc., but I don稚 want to impose. Preparing all the things I壇 like to say in my mind, the best I could do upon meeting him was monosyllabic grunts! Still, managed to get my picture taken with him and did manage to engage in some small talk once I realized he was just a really nice guy that doesn稚 mind talking about guitar. I have a feeling I知 not the first fan that felt the way upon meeting him. Great player, great guy.

Not wanting to outstay my welcome, I thank Albert for his time, and turn around only to see Steve Morse standing there!! 典HE Steve!! Now with more confidence after the Albert incident, I wait for a moment when he痴 not busy, run through what to say in my mind and .more monosyllabic grunts. Actually worse, 滴i Steve, do you remember signing my SM guitar a few years ago when I met you and Tommy after a Deep Purple show in Regina Saskatchewan!?... Ugh!! Strike two. Again, Steve was such a good guy and took the time to talk to me even with his busy schedule. He even seemed to appreciate the picture I showed him of a metal replica wall hanging of my guitar my wife had made for me.

Now I知 thinking how great this whole experience has been when I look over and see 典he Guy! Sterling Ball! Big Poppa!! This time I try not to over think what to say to him and.strike three! And again, He took the time for a hand shake and picture and for the brief time we spoke, made me feel like we were all a big family.

That痴 the vibe I got every time I stopped by the booth that weekend. Albert Lee, Steve Morse, John Petrucci, Sterling, and on Saturday, Steve Lukather and Paul Gilbert joining in (Steve Vai over signing a few yards away), all one big family. Smiling and looking like they were digging everything almost as much as I was (be sure to check out the Anderton痴 interview on YouTube). These guys always took the time for a hand shake and hello and did it from 10:00am 6:00pm every day! Interviews and playing going on over on the stage in the corner, guitars, basses, strings, pedals, demo stations, I could致e set up a chair and been entertained all weekend without going anywhere else.

As I was leaving the booth at the end of the day on Saturday, I thought, that痴 another reason why I love these EBMM products so much and why I use them exclusively (and I do this for a living), not only a fantastic product, but fantastic people as well.

They say you shouldn稚 meet your heroes, that you could be disappointed. Well this canknucklehead just did, and was far from being disappointed.

Thank you EBMM. Really hope to see you guys next year!

Not sure why these pics are showing up sideways, but you get the idea.
    Apparently my head burst into flame upon meeting BP

My NAMM Experience/ Kudos To EBMM!-img_1070-jpgMy NAMM Experience/ Kudos To EBMM!-img_1064-jpg
    '08 Albert Lee
    '07 SM-Y2D
    '02 Steve Morse

'96 Fender Tele Plus
    '82 Ibanez AS-50
    '79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    '89 Sawchyn Acoustic
    '87 Sawchyn Classical

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great time....Congrats...SM is one of the nicest guys I have ever spoke with and had the pleasure of doing so a couple of times. Frame the pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KevTN View Post
    Sounds like a great time....Congrats...SM is one of the nicest guys I have ever spoke with and had the pleasure of doing so a couple of times. Frame the pics!
    Thanks Kevin! Hmm, can't figure out how to "frame them".
    '08 Albert Lee
    '07 SM-Y2D
    '02 Steve Morse

'96 Fender Tele Plus
    '82 Ibanez AS-50
    '89 Sawchyn Acoustic
    '87 Sawchyn Classical

User Info Menu

Cool story! Sounds like you had a blast.

User Info Menu

Last year was my first year to NAMM - made it my point that I wanted to see EVERYTHING. Took nearly three solid days to walk every aisle and didn't get a great look at stuff as I went by...

This year made it a point NOT to hit everything - had a list of a dozen places to spend some quality time testing gear and often returned to EBMM as "home base".

Is definitely a big candy store!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

User Info Menu

Great feedback thanks!
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Nice post. Can totally understand the excitement!
    An experience like that stays with you for the rest of your life...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Cool story! Sounds like you had a blast.
    Thanks. It was fantastic!
    '08 Albert Lee
    '07 SM-Y2D
    '02 Steve Morse

'96 Fender Tele Plus
    '82 Ibanez AS-50
    '89 Sawchyn Acoustic
    '87 Sawchyn Classical

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    Great feedback thanks!
    Thanks! Just had to share.
    '08 Albert Lee
    '07 SM-Y2D
    '02 Steve Morse

'96 Fender Tele Plus
    '82 Ibanez AS-50
    '89 Sawchyn Acoustic
    '87 Sawchyn Classical

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    Nice post. Can totally understand the excitement!
    An experience like that stays with you for the rest of your life...
    That's exactly right! I'll never forget it!
    '08 Albert Lee
    '07 SM-Y2D
    '02 Steve Morse

'96 Fender Tele Plus
    '82 Ibanez AS-50
    '89 Sawchyn Acoustic
    '87 Sawchyn Classical

User Info Menu

Kenny-

I heard through the grapevine that Luke would be there so i brought my control plate for my Luke to have him sign. I was terrified to me my musical hero... so many questions running through my head.
    "What if he says no" "what if the guys a total sack and i lose all respect" "what if... what if" so i heard he would be hanging out on Saturday and planned my saturday to meet him and have it signed. I accidentally ran into him outside of the booth and he was KILLER!! When i asked him if he would sign it for me he was more than willing and even though being pulled by his guards he told them to wait a minute as he had to sign something for me... totally made my day and i'm glad i got to talk to him for a minute and thank him for his inspiration musically. Great guy!
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

My first time at NAMM i was an endorsed artist for a pedal company who is no longer... and my first stop that morning 5 years ago was to meet BP. These were the days when the EBMM crew had a theme and i believe this particular year was Circus. So i walk in knowing my time is limited before i have to report to the dungeon for playing duties straight to the EBMM booth. Sterling saw me and knew immediately who i was and called me out by my forum handle. Gave me a hug and asked what guitar i brought for the demoing.
    I told him i brought a Telecaster as i didn't want to lose my EBMM guitars. He called over Derek and asked him to grab a guitar for him from the back and then yelled "grab the 25th" Derek returned very quickly with a gig bag and BP handed over and said its yours for the weekend and return it when you're done. That whole weekend i was rocklin out with a 25th and will never forget it. That was an incredible guitar and would LOVE to have it full time in my collection.

Forever thankful for the hospitality BP showed and caring for me in such a small way to make my experience that much better. I can still recall many of the "celebs" that came by and commented not only on the pedals and playing but the guitar.
    Enjoy the Journey - Enjoy the Process
    G27494 20th Anniversary Silhouette
    G53462 Silhouette Special
    SG31073 StingRay
    SG26540 LK100D
    SG23128 AX40D
    SG34621 VALENTINE
    SG36060 LUKE
    SG26016 AX40D
    SGXXXX AX30D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peterd79 View Post
    My first time at NAMM i was an endorsed artist for a pedal company who is no longer... and my first stop that morning 5 years ago was to meet BP. These were the days when the EBMM crew had a theme and i believe this particular year was Circus. So i walk in knowing my time is limited before i have to report to the dungeon for playing duties straight to the EBMM booth. Sterling saw me and knew immediately who i was and called me out by my forum handle. Gave me a hug and asked what guitar i brought for the demoing.
    I told him i brought a Telecaster as i didn't want to lose my EBMM guitars. He called over Derek and asked him to grab a guitar for him from the back and then yelled "grab the 25th" Derek returned very quickly with a gig bag and BP handed over and said its yours for the weekend and return it when you're done. That whole weekend i was rocklin out with a 25th and will never forget it. That was an incredible guitar and would LOVE to have it full time in my collection.

Forever thankful for the hospitality BP showed and caring for me in such a small way to make my experience that much better. I can still recall many of the "celebs" that came by and commented not only on the pedals and playing but the guitar.

Very cool Peter!! Now THAT'S something to remember! Thanks for sharing! Also fantastic you got to meet Luke!
    '08 Albert Lee
    '07 SM-Y2D
    '02 Steve Morse

'96 Fender Tele Plus
    '82 Ibanez AS-50
    '89 Sawchyn Acoustic
    '87 Sawchyn Classical

User Info Menu

-Glad you had a blast!!!
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    -Glad you had a blast!!!
    Thanks BP! It was incredible. Hope to see you next year.
    '08 Albert Lee
    '07 SM-Y2D
    '02 Steve Morse

'96 Fender Tele Plus
    '82 Ibanez AS-50
    '89 Sawchyn Acoustic
    '87 Sawchyn Classical