New Prodigy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutlass or St. Vincent ??

User Info Menu

Cutlass or St. Vincent ??

Hey everyone. I am about to buy a new guitar and am torn between a Cutlass and a St. Vincent. The Cutlass is classic and would fill that S-type shaped void in my collection, but the St. Vincent is beautiful and unique. I want something that is versatile and comfortable and will stop my wandering eye for a while.

All opinions are welcome.

thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fender_Champ View Post
    Hey everyone. I am about to buy a new guitar and am torn between a Cutlass and a St. Vincent. The Cutlass is classic and would fill that S-type shaped void in my collection, but the St. Vincent is beautiful and unique. I want something that is versatile and comfortable and will stop my wandering eye for a while.

All opinions are welcome.

thanks!
    Look at the upper fret access on both. If that is important to you then The Cutlass is the winner. I'm a sucker for a strat type guitar. I also like the style of the St. Vincent. But I need upper register fret access. So for me the Cutlass takes the cake. Regarding comfort, gotta play them to determine your ergonomic compatibility, but at first glance the Cutlass looks really comfy with its belly cut, rounded horns and bouts etc...The St Vincent, well I just don't know.

I've never played either of those guitars, but after reading some reviews of the Cutlass, it has me very interested in it. It will very likely be the next EBMM I purchase. I'm eagerly waiting for the HSS version, and hopefully someday an HSS with a stock floyd rose, (search the Mick Mars Signature edition thread).

Good luck and enjoy which ever you choose!

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by ZeroFivefour; 02-04-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    I love the smell of smoking fretboards in the morning!

2013 Luke 1 Reissue Candy Red
    2012 Luke 1 Reissue Sledge
    2004 Axis Black-Cherry Burst with Recessed Floyd
    1995 Luke 1 Pearl Blue
    1997 Luke 1 Red, (Perma-Loaned to a very good friend)

User Info Menu

Cutlass with Vincent pickup scheme for the win.

User Info Menu

How about both
    I have a cutlass. It's a winner, but I'd alos like st Vincent
    Cutlass is Strat made better. I love it when I wAnt to be strat man.

User Info Menu

Hard to decide - very different guitars I think. If it were me, I'd get an HSS Cutlass. I can't decide for you though. Good luck!
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

User Info Menu

My son has a Cutlass, and it's fabulous. The HSS model would be (a little) something of a hybrid with the HHH StVincent. But there's not a bad decision to be made there.
    ---------------
    Hunter Hayes Cutlass in Lake Tahoe Blue
    Valentine BFR in Three-tone Burst
    Luke 3 HH in Starry Night
    Valentine in Trans Maroon
    Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo

User Info Menu

HSS Cutlass all the way, cant wait to get my hands on one!

User Info Menu

Wouldn't St. Vincent vs. Albert Lee be a better comparison'?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroFivefour View Post
    Look at the upper fret access on both. If that is important to you then The Cutlass is the winner. I'm a sucker for a strat type guitar. I also like the style of the St. Vincent. But I need upper register fret access. So for me the Cutlass takes the cake. Regarding comfort, gotta play them to determine your ergonomic compatibility, but at first glance the Cutlass looks really comfy with its belly cut, rounded horns and bouts etc...The St Vincent, well I just don't know.

I've never played either of those guitars, but after reading some reviews of the Cutlass, it has me very interested in it. It will very likely be the next EBMM I purchase. I'm eagerly waiting for the HSS version, and hopefully someday an HSS with a stock floyd rose, (search the Mick Mars Signature edition thread).

Good luck and enjoy which ever you choose!

Cheers,

Tom
    Thanks Tom. That is a very good point to consider. I rarely venture above the 18th, so the limited access shouldn't be a hindrance. (to quote Chet Atkins, 'I never made a dime above five').

User Info Menu

Your two candidates are so very different in both neck profile & body shape. The only way you will know which one will make you happy would be to spend some time with each.
    If you can't own both 'pro' models, I would suggest you either buy the Sterling version of each, or purchase from a dealer that will allow you to return & exchange one of each for testing.
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

You mentioned an S shaped hole on your collection.....I say Cutlass. I am head over heels for mine. Absolutely the best guitar I have, and I have several (Major brands - G, F, I, P). I played with a St V breifly, and for tonal versatility compared to what you have, my guess is that the Cutlass will give you a bigger departure.

My 2 cents.
    Mike
    2016 PDN Starry Night Cutlass (Natural Headstock)
    2010 Barolo JPX (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2007 Bahama Blue Sparkle Back BFR Luke (GC Exclusive)
    2007 Blue Dawn LE JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2006 Dargie Delight I Luke (No Piezo, Natural Headstock)
    2005 Sapphire Black JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)

User Info Menu

I have played both. Both are really cool. For me, the Cutlass was a revelation. It is that awesome. Having never owned a Str@, I can't say how it compares, but it was awesome. The St.V was also really cool. Neat sounds out of that. I guess now I haven't helped answer your question one damn bit...

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the insight. I love gear discussions. The large portion of my collection consists of 60s Japanese guitars that were inherited from my grandfather (including this obscure one: 1966 Pleasant (Kawai) Japanese Guitar Demo - YouTube ) - and a G LP - so both the Cutlass and the St. V would be welcomed additions in terms of both sound and design. Both are beautiful and I love the tonal range and unique switching of the St. V but I do worry that it may have the long neck length feel of a F Jzmstr or G FireB. I've played the Cutlass at a local GC and really enjoyed it, but I can't find a St. V to try. Maybe I just need both!

Again, thank you!
    Last edited by Fender_Champ; 02-05-2017 at 06:57 PM.

User Info Menu

HA! Sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either!

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    I have played both. Both are really cool. For me, the Cutlass was a revelation. It is that awesome. Having never owned a Str@, I can't say how it compares, but it was awesome. The St.V was also really cool. Neat sounds out of that. I guess now I haven't helped answer your question one damn bit...

User Info Menu

Look online and I think you can see where they're located. Find a local GC who has one. I played a sunburst St.V in Seattle Guitar Center when I was there on business. So GC's do have them, you just need to find one. In Seattle, it was in the Platinum Room, so make sure you check there.