2020 StingRay Special colors

Thread: Axis SS or Reflex?

User Info Menu

Question Axis SS or Reflex?

Wow, it's been a minute or two since I posted here.

I'm closing in on my second EBMM (much later than I thought it would come). I've wanted a non-Floyd companion to my Axis for a long time, and I was just about to pull the trigger on an ASS, but then I saw a pretty good deal on a used Game Changer Reflex and had to wonder about it. I've never had a chance to play a Reflex, so I'm just wondering how it compares, particularly the neck, with the Axis.

I love my Axis neck. I think it's the most comfortable neck out there, bar none, so I'm thinking go with what you know. On the other hand, the GC could be a lot of fun to play with. Interested in some input from folks who have played both.

Thanks.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

The Reflex neck has a slightly flatter profile and is rounded not asymmetrical like the Axis and is a 12" radius vs the Axis at 10". The only way to know if you'll like it is to play it. If you find one at GC you can always return it within 30 days. Can't go wrong. My first EBMM was a Reflex. The neck was really nice. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Obviously, personal preference is the answer.
    EBMM BFR Morse Dark Lord Tahitian Blue w/SD Pearly Gates pups S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    EBMM AL HT Trans Walnut Rosewood Neck S/N G77991 DOB 9/16/16
    SBMM AX30-D Natural Quilt
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

My personal preference would be the Axis SS. Had a 25th, couldn't bond with it, sold it (only EBMM I've ever sold).
    BFR Axis Quilt Amethyst Burst 12/17/2008
    JP Majesty Arctic Dream 04/17/2014
    Stingray 4H Pacific Blue Burst 09/04/2014
    Axis Super Sport Semi Hollow w/Piezo Black Cherry Burst 09/08/2015
    Albert Lee SSS Pacific Blue Burst 09/22/2015
    JP7 Mystic Dream 01/30/2017

User Info Menu

I own a Reflex ( that I actually acquired through a trade with my dad who just wanted a tele because he thought the Reflex was too much guitar for him) but have only played the Axis SS at guitar center and various music stores. IMO the Reflex is one of the most underrated guitars in EBMM's line and a shame it never caught on. Anyway my take: I really like the slightly larger body( as I am a larger dude about 6ft/250ish and the contour of the top. As mentioned above the neck is a little flatter with a wider radius, still very comfortable and also very light in weight. You also get the tone wood variation of chambered basswood body/mahogany tone block/maple top combo which if Im not mistaken is so called the 'holy grail" of tone wood combinations. Also you will get more tonal variations with reflex because of the series/parallel. The guitar really growls in the parallel positions! Another thing to consider is that the standard Reflex (not gamechanger) is discontinued so you might find a better deal on one vs an Axis SS (at least I've noticed - Ive seen Guitar Center practially give them away). I also own an SM Y2D and a JP6 and since I acquired the Reflex my Y2D just sits (still love it though). To sum it up if you go the Reflex route you will get the Axis SS plus a little extra. Just my two cents. Axis SS owners might disagree. Hope that helps

User Info Menu

I just bought a 25th Anniversary a couple months ago and absolutely love it! My main guitar since 04 has been an Axis. I've owned just about every EBMM out there...including the Super Sport. The pickup switching on the Super Sport was kind of 'blah' to me. Bridge and neck obviously sounded great but positions 2 and 4 weren't cutting it. I ended up selling it even though it was a beautiful green BFR quilt top.

Fast forward to now - This 25th (basically the same as a Reflex) is an amazing guitar. Yes the neck is different...but in a good way. Plus the series/parallel switch is awesome. So many different tones in there. The bigger body and the bevel on the forearm makes playing easier when playing long sets...plus the chambered body is light and it resonates so nicely. IMO the 25th/Reflex is a modified version of the Axis/Super Sport. I only wish they came with a floyd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T- Bone View Post
    I only wish they came with a floyd
    You can always have one installed....
    EBMM BFR Morse Dark Lord Tahitian Blue w/SD Pearly Gates pups S/N G79179 DOB 2/7/17
    EBMM AL HT Trans Walnut Rosewood Neck S/N G77991 DOB 9/16/16
    SBMM AX30-D Natural Quilt
    SBMM SUB AX4 Trans Red Quilt DiMarzio AXIS pups SD pots GOTOH GE1996T Trem
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

The reflex has a forearm contour that the Axis SS doesn't its flat like a tele, so I prefer the contour and Ive had Axis SS in my collection....

User Info Menu

I own both. Personally I prefer the Reflex because of the larger neck profile, the larger body, and the flatter fretboard radius.

2009 25th Anniversary Artist Relations guitar
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    You can always have one installed....
    I've seen one recently that had one. I wonder how much routing has to be done? It's something I certainly would consider

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looks like I'm going against the grain of most of the advice. The Game Changer that I was looking at sold before I could make up my mind, and to be honest, my heart was always with the Axis. I love mine, and it needs a baby brother.
    My stuff:
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

User Info Menu

I've been seeing a lot of Reflex and Game Changers selling for cheap so I was interested in them. I have come to associate the Axis neck with the shape and feel I like about Musicman, and the Luke as well. I wasn't going to buy a Reflex without trying one and I was lucky to have a local shop with a 25th and a Reflex in stock. All it took was 1 second to feel the neck to decide I wasn't going to get one. Don't get me wrong, they're nice guitars, but it's not the same shape and/or feel as the axis. If you wanted an Axis and think the Reflex neck is close enough feeling wise, it isn't IMHO.
    My Clips page. A lot of Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+, III, and IV.

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/danyeo

User Info Menu

That was ultimately what made the decision for me. I knew for a fact that I'd love the Axis, and I just wasn't sure on the Reflex, since I haven't had a chance to play one. I don't regret the decision to go with the SS. I absolutely love it. I may one day pick up a Reflex or 25th (would still love a 25th if I could get a deal on it), but the Axis was definitely the way to go this time.
    My stuff:
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black