Strap Blocks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling Ax40 bass and sustain problem.

User Info Menu

Sterling Ax40 bass and sustain problem.

Hello friends.
    Sorry for my poor English, I'm talking about Brazil.

I bought a guitar Sterling ax40, but I noticed that the guitar has little bass and sustain, I changed the pickups for the 36 series dimarzios I had of my gibson les paul (a monster) but in the sterling they had no effect.

I plugged pickups directly into the output jack, and the problem persists.

I think it has to do with the floyd rose bridge and her block.

What do they tell me?

I appreciate help.
    Last edited by Tavio Miranda; 02-10-2017 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Hello Tavio,
    Not exactly following what you are asking, but if you could, please email me directly and I will see if there is a way we could figure this out off forum.

You can email me at brian@praxismusical.com
    Brian Martin
    Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
    Product Guru All Things SBMM
    Brian.Xavier.Martin@gmail.com

User Info Menu

The guitar has strident sound, but it has no bass and sustain ..

The bass sounds canned.

User Info Menu

i send email.

User Info Menu

A guitar with a bolt-on neck and a Floyd Rose bridge like the AX40 will typically be much brighter/thinner than a set-neck, mahogany, TOM bridge guitar like a Les Paul. It's not surprising that the Dimarzio 36th pickups sound great in a Les Paul, but in comparison, they will sound brighter/thinner in an AX40. You might want to try a Dimarzio Tone Zone which was designed to deal with the problems you're having.
    Where's your Majesty?

User Info Menu

80/5000
    I have a stratocaster with Schaller floyd rose, and it has double sustain and bass.

User Info Menu

Is there any chance that you could try another AX40 to see if you have the same experience?
    Where's your Majesty?

User Info Menu

Hi Tavio, I'm on Skype with you now. Search in the upper right of the forum page. Eric O'Reilly is the name I suggest to search. I know he has modified this guitar and can help you with aftermarket suggestions.
    Brian Martin
    Former VP, Praxis Musical, 2012 - Jan 2018
    Product Guru All Things SBMM
    Brian.Xavier.Martin@gmail.com

User Info Menu

ok. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Sorry for the late response, i have modified my ax40, and put the music man acis pickups in, they are a great combo with this guitar, as for jo punch or bass? I have never had that problem with this model, they were originally made for Eddie Van Halen who is a lead player and has a great tone, also what amp are you using?

User Info Menu

As for the bridge i think the stock one is great, i switched the toggle switch for a chrome one, just for looks and feel, and i also refinished the neck ,bare wood rubbed with danish oil and wax. Much better imho. As for the tone, this guitar is a beast even with the sbmm pickups, the ebmm pickups are much better because they are custom dimarzios, but your problem might be in eq. The guitar is basswood with a paper thin maple veneer, if it were a real maple cap like the axis it would be even brighter!

User Info Menu

Remember this guitar was originally made for EVH in the 90s and sounds great through a high gain tube amp like the 5150. I use a peavey 5150 with 212 cab and have a great tone. But it is primarily a screaming lead guitar for bright cut through the mix tone, not a chugging rythem machine, although it can be used for anything, i have gotten great cleans using the neck, and or in between positions with the clean channel of my 5150, an amp not known for good cleans.

User Info Menu

When you say PUNCH, i thing of loud and clear tone , which this guitar has in spades, try to describe you problem in a little more detail, sorry if dont get back right away, i have a crazy work week.

User Info Menu

The problems I noticed were poor sustain and very thin sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tavio Miranda View Post
    The problems I noticed were poor sustain and very thin sound.
    I'm not sure what type of block came on the bottom of the floyd in the AX40, but I know a lot of people upgrade the block on their floyd tremolos to a big brass 42mm block. I'm not going to link anything here, but a simple google search will point you in the right direction. Two things to be concerned with... make sure an add-on block fits the Floyd in the AX40 (I thought they were pretty standard, but I could be wrong) and make sure there is enough room in the cavity for a bigger block. Some guitars require you to route a little bit of wood from the underside cavity.
    EVH Blue - 82854 - Born on 10/9/92
    Axis Tribute Trans Gold - G61323 - Born on 8/10/11

Axis 2014 BFR PDN Neptune Blue - G57761 - Born on 7/30/14