Capturing the White Buffalo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EBMM vs the average joe!

Quote Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
    Can't say I've ever noticed that - people tend to be at least aware of the basses, and then it's not that surprising that there are guitars as well.
    Yeah, that's pretty much my experience too. Plus there are a lot of them around these parts.

There are several EBMM bass players around here, but not many EBMM guitar players. The nearest two dealers are a couple of hours away, and they're both Guitar Centers that rarely have the six strings in stock. So I'm pretty much on an island. I have a fairly regular disagreement with a friend (just so happens that his name is Joe) whose argument is they're not worth the price for the materials they use. One day, I'm going to manage to get one of mine in his hands to prove him wrong.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    1988 Fender HM Strat Black
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    There are several EBMM bass players around here, but not many EBMM guitar players. The nearest two dealers are a couple of hours away, and they're both Guitar Centers that rarely have the six strings in stock. So I'm pretty much on an island. I have a fairly regular disagreement with a friend (just so happens that his name is Joe) whose argument is they're not worth the price for the materials they use. One day, I'm going to manage to get one of mine in his hands to prove him wrong.
    I say this in the literal, not perjorative, sense: Joe is just ignorant. When I had only seen EBMMs in catalogs and what not, they just looked different (a little weird, even) compared to the guitars I was used to seeing. I wasn't the least bit interested until I heard a demo video. Slight interest then turned to obsession when I held/fondled/played the JP-15 BFR that was my first EBMM.

There's hope for Joe.
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Yep. For a long time after I got my first Axis, I'd go to guitar stores and could find nothing that really interested me. They just didn't compare. Almost 10 years later, I've played and owned a lot of guitars from a lot of different manufacturers, and every time, I've come back to that Axis and wondered why I bothered to look for another one. That's why I decided on the ASS this time, as a complement to the one I already love. Now, if EBMM would just make something pointy to fill that pointy void in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    I say this in the literal, not perjorative, sense: Joe is just ignorant. When I had only seen EBMMs in catalogs and what not, they just looked different (a little weird, even) compared to the guitars I was used to seeing. I wasn't the least bit interested until I heard a demo video. Slight interest then turned to obsession when I held/fondled/played the JP-15 BFR that was my first EBMM.

There's hope for Joe.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis Super Sport Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    1988 Fender HM Strat Black
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    A half-dozen pawn shop beaters no one cares about

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

I made similar experiences. However, I think guitarists can be divided into certain cohorts. Some of those cohorts like ongoing development in guitars and others don't. More than ten years ago I was a huge Ibanez fan and had to support a Pink Floyd cover band. Those were really nice guys around 40-55yo making music on a non-professional basis. When we meet first time I was using an Ibanez 7-String j.custom and they said: "Okay, it doesn't always has to be Fender or Gibson." That just sounded as if there is nothing else out there.
    Over the years I more and more switched to Music Man because I was listening more Dream Theater. I first bought a used JP6 because; I just wanted to try one of those Petrucci-Guitars and I rarely saw one in a store and if so it was poorly adjusted and set up, respectively with sticky strings. I found that guitar wired looking at first. Also the older pictures back in the days when guitars were to offen pictured only from frontal did not help. Also the colour mystic dream does not come out right in pictures. However, I got my first JP6 and thought for quite a while that it was weired looking, I somehow felt that the headstock is somehow way to small in comparison to the body. But the guitar played very well, at least as good as my j.customs and my JEM. After a few month or maybe a year or so the Ibanez guitars somehow appeared very traditional looking to me and less exciting. I felt more an more comfortable with the JP6 because of the ergonomics also it became more modern looking to me. Then I bought a BFR, JPXI, JP12 and two majesties because I fell in love with the painted neck which is never sticky. Now the majesty in my eyes is a new mile stone in guitar engineering and the smaller proportions of the body are fitting the headstock really well. But in this case also the guitar was just not as good looking on photographs. For me in general functionality beats design. The majesty is designed for its functionality and that's making it great. My wife actually said that the majesty artisan nero is the most beautiful guitar I have. That said back to the topic.
    I recently played a gig with the majesties for an audience with mean age around 20. And many people came to me after the gig with questions about the guitars(mainly the majesty 7 in iced crimson). No one of those kids ever saw that guitar before, not even in the internet. But the all said that it sounded awesome. The found it looks a little bit wired but still super cool. Thus interesting and exciting!
    I think that music man guitars are well known by musicians with more interesst in virtuos guitar playing but not by the Blink and Nirvana fans (yes kids still hear that stuff......) and also not for most old school hard rock guys(although Luke and Steve are extending the range). In the end it is all about the men and women you see playing those instruments somewhere sounding good and looking cool. So let's rock!

Regards, J