Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBMM vs the average joe!

Red face EBMM vs the average joe!

I own too many guitars for the talent I have. Lol... Among all the guitars I have in my collection, my fav 2 are my 2 JP6. They are my grab and go guitar. I know I can trust them, they are reliable and sound awesome.

Last evening, my son's band needed another guitar player for a "one tune gig" and I brought one of my JP6 for the gig.

And while I was waiting for our turn to come and surrounded by a bunch of teenagers from 13 to 17 years old (it was somewhat of a talent show), some of them came to me asking about my JP6. Except one (the kid was a badass player), none knew what brand or model it was.

I even got the "Don't they do guitar strings? - I didn't know they made guitars".

That made me remember that when I used to gig with my cover band, the few folks that would come to me after a gig would, most of the time, ask about what guitar I was playing and had no idea about EBMM products.

Do you have similar stories to share? I'm curious.

I have also experienced that. Most of my guitar playing friends have no idea what a music man guitar is. It only takes letting them play my 25th Anniversary for a few minutes to fix that.

2009 25th Anniversary Reflex - Artist Relations

2016 Fender Am. Vintage 59 Strat - Ltd. Ed. Thin Skin
    2015 Fender Am. Standard Strat - Ltd. Ed. HH
    2015 Fender Am. Deluxe Strat - V neck
    2014 PRS Private Stock McCarty Singlecut
    2013 Alvarez Yairi Masterworks DYM70

I've experienced the same, with friends who have been playing for years. They know musicman made cool amps (and strings) but no idea about their guitars.

Had that "Thought they only made Strings" Question many Times...
    It's a bit sad IMHO, but it's also a fault of the Music Stores, at least in Europe they rarely got EBMM or only one JP and an Axis or something like that...
    I asked many Sellers at Music Stores for EBMM Guitars but it's shocking how many People don't even know this incredible Company!
    Music Man JP7 PDN 2012 Honey Roasted #F20403
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2013 Emerald Green Sparkle #G68213
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2014 Neptune Blue Roasted #G71474
    Music Man JP6 PDN 2016 Starry Night #G77086
    Music Man Bongo 5HH PDN 2015 Vintage Tobacco Burst #F44860

I get that too - guys will come up and stare at the headstock trying to figure out what it is and approach me on break and ask.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Unfortunately, a lot of the time it also results in the arrogant and unwarranted negative assumptions from the uninformed G*, F*, & P* crowd.

Mike
    2016 PDN Starry Night Cutlass (Natural Headstock)
    2010 Barolo JPX (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2007 Bahama Blue Sparkle Back BFR Luke (GC Exclusive)
    2007 Blue Dawn LE JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)
    2006 Dargie Delight I Luke (No Piezo, Natural Headstock)
    2005 Sapphire Black JP6 (Piezo, Inlays, Matching Headstock)

I've met a few people over the years who dismissed anything that wasn't Fender or Gibson, but I've also met a lot of people who loved my tone and loved the feel of the neck even more. I've converted one or two people over the years too.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVt View Post
    Unfortunately, a lot of the time it also results in the arrogant and unwarranted negative assumptions from the uninformed G*, F*, & P* crowd.
    Sadly true... I'm from the school that "if it sounds good and makes you want to grab the guitar, I don't care for the cost/country of origin or brand/model of the instrument". I've met/seen awesome players with cheap gear and bad players with ridiculously expensive equipment.

Great replies from everyone. Cool to hear that we had some very similar stories.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVt View Post

Mike
    Yeah - that's when, as a goodwill embassaor for the brand, you just have to suck it up and place the instrument in their hands. Let the craftsmanship do the talking. That always works for me!
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    I've met a few people over the years who dismissed anything that wasn't Fender or Gibson, but I've also met a lot of people who loved my tone and loved the feel of the neck even more. I've converted one or two people over the years too.
    I've converted several myself - it's all about the neck... and the new roasted necks make it even easier to subvert their impressionable minds to our cause!

Kevin
    Curator of The Morseum

Top dollar paid for "First 50" Morses!

Can't say I've ever noticed that - people tend to be at least aware of the basses, and then it's not that surprising that there are guitars as well.
    '05 JP6 Desert Gold matching headstock, inlays, piezo
    '06 Silhouette 20th Anniversary (trem, rosewood)
    '06 Bongo Stealth 4HH
    '14 JP7 BFR Rosewood trans black quilt

During college in the late 90's I worked at a fairly large music store in central PA, before the big box chains took over. We sold all of the name brands but never stocked anything from EB except basses. At the time I was a already a huge Vai and Petrucci fan, so you can imagine what brand I gravitated towards. It wasn't until JP's switch to EBMM that I began to seriously look into their guitar offerings (the EVH never really did anything for me). I remember going to the SFAM tour and seeing him play the JP6 for the first time and thought "wow, that looks really, really plain. I wonder what kind of people are buying that?" So yeah, I'll admit back when I was 18 I was guilty of the same thing.
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    JP6 BFR Koa
    JPXI-7

I'm kinda an island of EBMM goodness in my town full of bubbas playing strats and les Paul's... it's a two edged sword though: if u wanna buy one, u can't find one to try out, and if u wanna sell one, nobody's buyin'.
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple (HSS, Floyd)
    '11 JP6 Pearl White (Loaded)
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 PDN Axis Honey Burst
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset (Floyd)
    '12 JPX Barolo

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

I've been playing out with Silhouettes for about 10 years, I don't think I have ever had any one come up to me and say anything good or bad about the MM guitars. It's usually, hey man do guys know any Sublime.....?
    Vintage Sunburst Silhouette Special, '06; 20th Anniversary Silhouette, '06; Honeyburst Sterling '00

I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
    He said "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"

Enter the Void:
    http://www.voidmusic2000.fourfour.com
    http://www.facebook.com/voidmusic2000

Where I play I'm seeing them more and more. Did a show on Saturday, I play 2 reflex's and the band after me the guy is playing a P6 petrucci.

Did a show a couple months ago where the band after me had a couple of Axis and an old VH. Among real players, the secret is out.
    "Do you want me to start this song too slow or too fast?"

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6, Steve Morse, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    4 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Yamaha S90XS, Hammond XK-3c