Music Man Modern Classics

Thread: How many people work on the Ernie Ball production line?

User Info Menu

How many people work on the Ernie Ball production line?

I took the neck off my 1990 Morse over the weekend. Decided to experiment with a little shim for a little more break angle over the bridge. When I did it, I was not totally surprised to find the initials of someone written in pencil or ink on the neck (I think it was P.L., very precisely written, also added a cross along with the date. I should have written down). In the neck pocket was I think "Spud" written in pencil. Just made me wonder how many people were working on guitars in the San Luis Obispo plant back then. How many now? Do they still hand write on the neck and body?

User Info Menu

Few years ago when I was visiting Toyota office in Belgium I asked the same question How many people are working here ? And the man who I asked the question answered (an English guy): about half of them

Not sure it will answer your question but wanted to share this pure moment of British humor.

Regarding the pencil annotations so far I have encountered them on all neck I have disassembled
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post
    Few years ago when I was visiting Toyota office in Belgium I asked the same question How many people are working here ? And the man who I asked the question answered (an English guy): about half of them

Not sure it will answer your question but wanted to share this pure moment of British humor.
    Lmao, epic punch line =D

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237

User Info Menu

Search YouTube for "Music Man factory tour". There's a couple of them that are a fun watch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by threeminutesboy View Post

Regarding the pencil annotations so far I have encountered them on all neck I have disassembled
    Brilliant - that tickled my fancy! As I enter the process of renovating my Delorean :-) There are all kinds of initials... it's not uncommon to find whole messages - known as "cave paintings".

Regarding the "Spud" - it's not me !!!
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112: