Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Recently acquired Majesty and JP tuning issue

Recently acquired Majesty and JP tuning issue

Both of these recently acquisitions show the same behavior. I can tune them up to be pretty stable with the bar, but if I do some big bends (step or step and a half), the string goes flat. After it goes flat, if I dive the bar and release, it comes back pretty much in tune. Anyone else seen this behavior with EBMM trems. A Google search turned up a few forum post that claim this is caused by binding at the saddles vs the nut. I'm wary of lubing the saddles because of the piezo. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    EBMM Artisan Majesty 7 Nero
    Mesa Boogie Mark IV

More likely the nut than the saddles. Are both guitars brand new?

Let me ask you this - what happens if you stretch all the strings, then tune, and check the tuning several times (since those bridges are floating). After all strings are in tune - do a dive or two with the bar, then re-check the tuning. Are the strings then sharp or flat?

FWIW - I use a few small dot of Tri-Flow on the saddles where the strings break periodically, and then a small dot in each nut slot with string changes. If I have one catching, I will use a very small amount of nut-sauce.

Brand new nuts can be a little grabby - that's why I asked if the guitars were brand new vs used?
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

At first my new Luke was going out of tune some like you mentioned- so I put a new set of strings on ...and then decided I wanted to try a different brand- was still having some tuning stability but it was new strings and a new guitar- but then I switched to a new set and decided to wrap more string around the post- not a full turn, but 3/4's or so just so the string turns more around the post- not sure if that did it- but mine has been very stable since... I think it mostly has to do with the guitar settling in...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post

Let me ask you this - what happens if you stretch all the strings, then tune, and check the tuning several times (since those bridges are floating). After all strings are in tune - do a dive or two with the bar, then re-check the tuning. Are the strings then sharp or flat?

FWIW - I use a few small dot of Tri-Flow on the saddles where the strings break periodically, and then a small dot in each nut slot with string changes. If I have one catching, I will use a very small amount of nut-sauce.

Brand new nuts can be a little grabby - that's why I asked if the guitars were brand new vs used?
    Hi Mike,

The JP is used. Built in 2013. The Majesty is also used. Built in December of 2015.

Which tri flow product do you use? Why do you prefer it over BB nut sauce?

I'll do what you said later when I'm done with work and let you know.

Thanks

Jon

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Hi Jon

I use this one - its easy just to add a small drop. I never heard of it, but it was recommend by a very prominent guitarist and guitar tech locally. Nut sauce is fine too I just find that if I use too much of it that it dampens vibration and attracts dirt - so I use it sparingly

TRI-FLOW Superior Lubricant, 0.25 oz. Container Size - 2PB97'|'TFBC20027 - Grainger
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post

Just got back to this. Been sick all week. I did what you suggested. After a couple of whammy dives, the G and low E went pretty sharp. The G more so.

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

I think it's floating trems with no locking nut. I have a Floyd and it's really stable after doing just about anything. My new Luke goes in and out some days better than others. Doesn't seem like a locking nut would make that big adiffernce but it definitely does. Hopefully ours are just new guitars settling in and will get better. And mine is not bad, just not quite ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by LesPaul View Post
    Just got back to this. Been sick all week. I did what you suggested. After a couple of whammy dives, the G and low E went pretty sharp. The G more so.

It that's the case, its likely binding in the nut slot. Try a light amount of big bends and work it in good.
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

Try tightening the screws that adjust the friction of the tuning keys. This usually works well.
    Majesty 6
    Parker Maxxfly 7
    Parker Nitefly
    Ibanez UV777

Quote Originally Posted by LesPaul View Post

Yep, I have the same exact problem. On mine, its definitely not the nut. Tried everything. I don't use the trem that much anymore on it - nor the guitar actually. I hope you have better luck than I have had.

Majesty 6 Stability