Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: MM Silhouette Intonation Problem

MM Silhouette Intonation Problem

Hey guys,
    I just recently picked up a new SS which I absolutely love, but after changing the strings to 10s, I cant's get the 5th string to intonate. The saddle screw is all the way back as far as it will go, and the 5th string is still sharp at the 12th fret when fretted. Has anyone else had any problems with new MM not intonating after changing the strings? Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this

Not a musicman but had it on my mates strat - we can't get to the bottom of it so any light shed on this topic will be welcome

Well if you got single coil pickups and they are too close to the strings this can happen. Increase the distance between strings and pickups by screwing the pickups. That should be it.
    Good luck
    Mick
    EVH transblack 1995 slightly faded
    Silhouette transteal 1994 (updated with a compensated nut!)

Mick´s Guitar Center
    Landshut/Germany
    www.facebook.com/MicksGuitarCenter
    "We offer extremly high quality & extremly low prices! - Pick one!"

Cheers, will try it.

Can you intonate properly if you check 3rd fret against 15th fret?

1) Make sure pickups are not too high (though that'll often affect low E string first but check anyway). Hold down string at last fret and measure between string and pole piece - DiMarzio recommend a minimum of 3 mm on the low E side, 2.4 mm on the high E side for single coils, 2 mm and 1.5 mm respectively for humbuckers.

2) Change the offending string. Sometimes you get a bad one.

If 1 and 2 don't work then

3) Someone needs to see the guitar. If you bought it new, you're under warranty so go back to the store you bought from and they'll look after you.

My old strat had no end of trouble with the low E string which would never intonate right. But the A-string should never be an issue.
    Last edited by DrKev; 03-01-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Thanks very much for your input DR. Key, Mick, and Trapper J. I took your advice on adjusting the pickups and that didn't seem to help, as the 5th string was way too sharp. I then tried the second recommendations from Dr. Key and changed the string from a DR to a EB slinky, and that did the trick. GO figure. I guess the Slinky will be my string of choice from now on. I wanna say thanks again, and I look forward to future discussions with you fellow Musicman members, and contributing in any way I can.