Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: NGD: Game Changer

NGD: Game Changer

Picked this up last night. I still have a long way to go to understand all the tonal possibilities, but I think it's going to be very useful for me. It definitely has the chunkiest neck of any EBMM I've played, and it's not close. (Anyone who could contrast the Reflex/25th neck shape with an Armada?)

The piezo sound is great, and the single tones are very good, as well. I'm still working at figuring out how to get what I want from the humbuckers (and pondering what Transitions sans-covers would be like in this guitar? ) but I have only had a brief time to mess with it so far, and much of that was spent figuring out the web app.

I'll get some better pics soon. (I have no idea where the purple band came from in the attached image. Some kind of artifact from the phone camera, I guess.)

NGD: Game Changer-img_0011-jpg
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

The swiss army knife of the EBMM line up! Congrats!
    SBMM JV60 w/flame roasted maple neck/dealer split HB upgrade S/N SG34682
    SBMM S.U.B. AX4 Blue Quilt S/N B044964

Vox VT20+
    Zoom G3X
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

Congratulations and happy playing!! It should give an amazing feeling of accessibility =)
    ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN
    JPXI Cardinal Red
    JP12 Cherry Sugar
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso
    JPXVI 7 Black Lava
    NOMAC MAJESTY (on order)

congrats, I wish my reflex would have a chunkyneck. out of my AL/Morse/SUB-gang it has the slimmest
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Bands: DREiNS, Shelter50, The BlueScream

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    congrats, I wish my reflex would have a chunkyneck. out of my AL/Morse/SUB-gang it has the slimmest
    That's really interesting. I don't have an AL or Morse, so I can't directly compare to that, but it feels much like my son's early 2000s AmStd Strat.
    ---------------

Congrats. The GC neck isn't as chunky as an AL, but it is a bit chunkier than the ASS--just slightly to my feel.
    "To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." Randy Rhoads

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

Congrats!!!! Its a beauty!!!

OK as far as the chunky discussion - I had a 25th Ann and the neck on mine was the chunkiest of any EBMM I have ever owned, definately chunkier than my AL (SSS and HH when I had one) or the Y2D I had.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

I agree on the neck size...more depth than my Albert Lee, Sil Special and JP (of course) - but doesn't feel like a 'chunky' neck. My fave neck shape that's for sure
    Balls:

2017 JP6 - Starry Night
    25th Anniversary - Venetian Red
    2001 Silhouette Special - Las Vegas Gold
    2014 Albert Lee HH - White

Congrats on your new GC!

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    (Anyone who could contrast the Reflex/25th neck shape with an Armada?)
    In my experience, the 25th/Reflex is similar to the Silhouette or AL necks ... chunkier than the Luke, Axis, Morse (standard, not Dark Lord) JP, but by no means chunky with a capital C. Just perfect.

The Armada, on the other hand, is the Ch-Ch-Ch-Chunkiest guitar neck I own or have ever played. Chunkier than any of my EBMMs and chunkier than my late 90s PRS McCarty. 50's LP territory. The Armada is not my everyday go-to, but it is perfect when that is the feel (and tone) I am after.
    "The more of our stuff you have the more awesomely freaky you become." -- BP

I don't want to leave the impression that I was hating on the neck profile by calling it chunky. It's just substantially more beefy than any of my prior EBMMs. Of the ones I've had, it's most similar to the 20th Anniv. Silhouette, but has a good bit more depth than that one. I guess my impression of it is closer to what mikeller said above.

The Reflex and I are still getting to know each other, and I'm looking forward to playing it a good bit more in the next few days.

Thanks all for the neck comparisons.
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    I don't want to leave the impression that I was hating on the neck profile by calling it chunky.
    Not at all! I like chunky necks and I wish my reflex´neck would be more chunky :-)

Finally all necks are sanded by hand and may differ from each other on the same model. Otherwise we couldn´t explain all the different descriptions here. And another thing I find interesting: a few years ago we had a thread were some of us measured and profiled their necks. And for example my guitars at that time (Morse/AL/Silhouette) looked very similar when profiled but felt clearly different - not in shape but in size. So the look/description of a neck and how it feels can be differ enormously
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005 pix
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994 pix
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004 pix
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011 pix

My Bands: DREiNS, Shelter50, The BlueScream

I have an Armada, Y2D, GC and 25th. The GC has the slimmest neck profile of all of mine. That being said, and maybe I'm the weirdo here, I don't really notice the difference in my playing. I notice the difference in the placement of straplocks and how the guitar hangs on your body way more than the neck profile. I gig with a 25th and a GC as my primaries and switch between the two.

The GC is a way underappreciated axe. It might take you a couple of months to figure out exactly how you want it to be set up but that's the beauty of it. If you don't like something about it, changing it is a piece of cake.

A lot of guys are kind of meh about the color choice, but I usually find that gigging with a really bling axe almost detracts from you as a performer unless you're really going for bling. So the simple black with the classy binding has really grown on me. Really an awesome workman's tool.

The piezo is one of the best things about it. I run my piezo output through an IR of Taylor and it has completely replaced the acoustic for my rock gigs. One less guitar to bring and it honestly sounds as good through the PA as a lot of acoustics. I've seriously considered buying a second one because I only have one guitar with a piezo and I'm worried about having a backup.

Good to see some more GC love!
    "Do you want me to start this song too slow or too fast?"

Armada, Gamechanger reflex, Y2D, JP6, Steve Morse, 25th Anniversary Reflex
    4 Stratocasters, RG3120, Variax, Yamaha S90XS, Hammond XK-3c