Slash Plays Power Slinkys
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to install a Floyd on my 25th Anniversary. Who has done this?

Here's a picture of the cross section of the 25th. You'll be putting a nice big hole in the Mahogany tone block. Good luck.

I want to install a Floyd on my 25th Anniversary. Who has done this?-ebmm-25th-chambering-picture-jpg
    Last edited by edhalen; 03-20-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    SBMM JV60 w/flame roasted maple neck/dealer split HB upgrade S/N SG34682
    SBMM S.U.B. AX4 Blue Quilt S/N B044964

Vox VT20+
    Zoom G3X
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    Here's a picture of the cross section of the 25th. You'll be putting a nice big hole in the Mahogany tone block. Good luck.

I want to install a Floyd on my 25th Anniversary. Who has done this?-ebmm-25th-chambering-picture-jpg
    The only issue will be the studs. the cavity that the block fits down into may need enlarged slightly. I already stated that I DO NOT want it to float, so there will be no routing behind the Floyd. It will rest on the body just as the Axis does. From the pics it looks to be a simple mod once the studs are drilled in the correct spot.

I know I've seen a pic of one that had been modded here but I can't find it anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by T- Bone View Post
    That is mine 25th. Installing wasn't an easy job. There is not much wood between the pick up cavity and where te studs will be installed. Getting the intonation correct is the problem when putting the studs to far back. I have a Gotoh floyd on mine. Love that trem. Mine 25th had a fixed bridge.
    You can Pm me if your interested. Recently i picked up 3 Evh, and a guitar in my collection has to go.
    Petrucci JP15
    25th Anniversary with Floyd
    Prs Mcarthy Collection #49
    Prs Brent Mason Studio Collection #61
    Prs Custom 24 PS
    Prs Throwback 85
    Siggi Braun 80's strat.
    Fender strat
    Gibson CS59
    Taylor Koa.

Gear
    Kemper Profiler amp, 2 home made thiele cabs.

Tom asked forsome detail photo's
    The nutlock is top mounted. Installing was quite a pain to get the intonation good and leaving enough wood. We had to use woodscrew studs. The original with bushing would not fit.

Last edited by crywolf71; 03-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    Petrucci JP15
    25th Anniversary with Floyd
    Prs Mcarthy Collection #49
    Prs Brent Mason Studio Collection #61
    Prs Custom 24 PS
    Prs Throwback 85
    Siggi Braun 80's strat.
    Fender strat
    Gibson CS59
    Taylor Koa.

Gear
    Kemper Profiler amp, 2 home made thiele cabs.

Man that is exactly what I want. I'd imagine mine would be much less work being that it's a trem version to begin with. I'll have to measure my axis and see how far off the posts are since mine will need plugged. If they're visible it could look like crap

T-Bone,

Just a friendly word of caution:

As with any modification to your guitar, there is always a risk that something will be less than estetically "P"erfect, (with a Capital P), after the mod is complete. Even the best craftsman can and do make errors and mistakes, minor and catastrophic =) .

Guitars have flaws in finish and paint, also age plays a factor in a guitars paint integrity etc... When a guitar is modded and the saw and/or router comes out to play, sometimes these flaws surface resulting in visual imperfections. It is rare, but not unheard of. Just an fyi. There is always this risk.

Just consider that prior to any mods, if absolute Perfection and Factory fresh Finish is your top priority. When I have mods done, whether its an added toggle switch, routing for a floyd, new nut, etc... I always go into it knowing and accepting this.

Cheers,

Tom
    I love the smell of smoking fretboards in the morning!

2013 Luke 1 Reissue Candy Red
    2012 Luke 1 Reissue Sledge
    2004 Axis Black-Cherry Burst with Recessed Floyd
    1995 Luke 1 Pearl Blue
    1997 Luke 1 Red, (Perma-Loaned to a very good friend)

Quote Originally Posted by T- Bone View Post
    Man that is exactly what I want. I'd imagine mine would be much less work being that it's a trem version to begin with. I'll have to measure my axis and see how far off the posts are since mine will need plugged. If they're visible it could look like crap
    Actually, it would be better if your 25th were a fixed bridge. The trem holes will need to be plugged on the trem version. When I first saw crywolf71's Floyded 25th I couldn't believe how clean it looked, then he mentioned it was a fixed bridge previously and it all made sense!
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2012 - Albert Lee SSS - White Pearl
    2014 - Axis Super Sport Semi-Hollow (Reflex mod) - Black Cherry Burst
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!