Slash Plays Power Slinkys
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: I want to install a Floyd on my 25th Anniversary. Who has done this?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    145

    I want to install a Floyd on my 25th Anniversary. Who has done this?

    Hey guys! Loving my 25th but I really would love it more with a professionally installed Floyd Rose. I know I've seen a couple pics of one's that have been done but I can't find the threads.

    Can anyone recommend a luthier would could take on this task without destroying such a beautiful guitar? It absolutely has to be a 'perfect' job when completed.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    145
    I want to install a Floyd on my 25th Anniversary. Who has done this?-img_3243-jpg This is the guitar

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    British Columbia Canada
    Posts
    265
    Just buy an axis. Keep the 25th as is.
    2009: JP6 w/BFR Rosewood Neck - Ice Blue
    2010: Silhouette HSH w/Matching Neck - Black
    2010: Ernie Ball WAH - Black/Green and smooth like silk
    2011: Sterling H w/Matching Neck - Black

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    British Columbia Canada
    Posts
    265
    2009: JP6 w/BFR Rosewood Neck - Ice Blue
    2010: Silhouette HSH w/Matching Neck - Black
    2010: Ernie Ball WAH - Black/Green and smooth like silk
    2011: Sterling H w/Matching Neck - Black

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    34
    I agree with CHill... Buy an axis and leave the 25th as is...
    2016 NAMM Axis SS Semi-Hollow - one off - Trans Teal Burst
    2009 25th Anniversary Reflex - Artist Relations instrument

    2016 Fender Am. Professional Strat
    2015 Fender Am. Standard Strat - Ltd. Edition HH
    2015 Fender Am. Deluxe Strat - V neck
    2014 ESP USA M-III
    2014 PRS Private Stock McCarty Singlecut
    2013 Fender Am. Deluxe Thinline Tele
    2013 Alvarez Yairi Masterworks DYM70
    2012 Fender Am. Select Tele
    2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat - Ltd. Editon (1/500) Fiesta Red

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,083
    With the others leave alone. Set up properly MM trem work really well and are far easier to deal with than Floyd units .
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,817
    What are the advantages of changing a classic trem to a floyd ? _ I don't get it?
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs; Red EVH Hardtail 1993;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;Fender BJ 15W;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    145
    I have an axis already. This guitar is far from my axis in many ways, all of which you know already. I want a Floyd because that is what I prefer. I don't want it to float, I want to be like the axis and will put a Dtuna on it as well. I don't care for the vintage trem that came on it. I loathe bent saddles and in fact changed all my strat bridges that had bent saddles with Gotoh 510's. But at heart I am a Floyd guy. I like double locking systems, and I also like the way my palm rests on the bridge. I'm not looking to destroy this guitar...it's magnificent and beautiful. I simply want to make it work for ME.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Bone View Post
    I have an axis already. This guitar is far from my axis in many ways, all of which you know already. I want a Floyd because that is what I prefer. I don't want it to float, I want to be like the axis and will put a Dtuna on it as well. I don't care for the vintage trem that came on it. I loathe bent saddles and in fact changed all my strat bridges that had bent saddles with Gotoh 510's. But at heart I am a Floyd guy. I like double locking systems, and I also like the way my palm rests on the bridge. I'm not looking to destroy this guitar...it's magnificent and beautiful. I simply want to make it work for ME.
    T-Bone,

    I completeley agree with you regarding making the the guitar work for you.

    That is exactly the reason why I had my Axis Floyd routed for a recess. I was simply not using it anymore, but I loved it and knew I could mod it to my needs. I decided to make it work for me.

    I had Joel Grant, at Grant Guitars route the top recess of my axis Cherry Burst to make my axis a Full Floating Floyd. He did an excellent pro job.

    I whole heartedly and completely recommend his work. I will use him in the future as well if/when the need arises.

    He's in fountain valley , CA
    714-434-1201

    Good luck

    Here is a link to the post documenting the work he did.

    Black Cherry axis Routed for Recessed Floyd
    Last edited by ZeroFivefour; 03-19-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    I love the smell of smoking fretboards in the morning!



    2013 Luke 1 Reissue Candy Red
    2012 Luke 1 Reissue Sledge
    2004 Axis Black-Cherry Burst with Recessed Floyd
    1995 Luke 1 Pearl Blue
    1997 Luke 1 Red, (Perma-Loaned to a very good friend)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroFivefour View Post
    T-Bone,

    I completeley agree with you regarding making the the guitar work for you.

    That is exactly the reason why I had my Axis Floyd routed for a recess. I was simply not using it anymore, but I loved it and knew I could mod it to my needs. I decided to make it work for me.

    I had Joel Grant, at Grant Guitars route the top recess of my axis Cherry Burst to make my axis a Full Floating Floyd. He did an excellent pro job.

    I whole heartedly and completely recommend his work. I will use him in the future as well if/when the need arises.

    He's in fountain valley , CA
    714-434-1201

    Good luck

    Here is a link to the post documenting the work he did.

    Black Cherry axis Routed for Recessed Floyd
    Thank you! THIS is the kind of response I wanted to hear. So many members here think it's a sacreligious thing to do if one would want to modify their instrument to THEIR liking. I have a guitar here that I absolutely love. But it's not exactly what I want. Resale value is not a concern to me, I don't buy guitars to hang on the wall. I use all my guitars both for playing with my band and recording. I'm a musician...not a collector.

    I'll give your guy a call and check out his work and his pricing.

    Thanks again!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Evanton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Bone View Post
    Hey guys! Loving my 25th but I really would love it more with a professionally installed Floyd Rose. I know I've seen a couple pics of one's that have been done but I can't find the threads.

    Can anyone recommend a luthier would could take on this task without destroying such a beautiful guitar? It absolutely has to be a 'perfect' job when completed.

    Thanks!
    can I pay you not to ?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    Wonder Wipes for Smelly Bum?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,083
    T-Bone - yes indeed, it is your guitar and if that works better for you than that's is your choice.

    I have zero clue whatsoever what is involved in removing the factory trem system and putting in a floyd etc but one caution would be if it requires extra routing, will that interfere with the chambered body or better put, will the chambered body interfere with the floyd bridge? And would it possibly change the tone of the guitar?

    That's all - good luck and keep us posted on this if you decide to do that.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

    www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    382
    T-bone,

    I understand why some have encouraged you not to make this modification to your 25th. Most of us here are not truly collectors, but do, I think, revere the craftsmanship on display in EBMM's guitars. (As for me, I have several EBMMs, but have traded away a couple already that weren't ideal for my own playing and preferences. I don't want them just for display, I want to use them to help me grow as a musician, and enjoy that journey.)

    But it seems you've "counted the cost" already, that resale value is far from a primary concern of yours, and that the guitar you want for your playing is a 25th with a recessed Floyd bridge. Go for it, and then enjoy a great guitar, made to match just a little better with your personal style/preferences.

    Good luck!
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,817
    I bleeb that the guitar will have to have two holes drilled in the neck, behind the nut to accommodate the string locking "mechanics" . I'm not a floyd user but I also bleeb that some are routed out on the face of the guitar to make the "dive bomb" easier.
    It's all cool and I'm not denouncing Floyds, but I have achieved the same results with a classic trem.
    Hey - horses for courses, ...... However, from my own experience, having modded a Les Paul Custom in the 70's making it into a 3 pick up, I now regret having done it - it has affected it's value.

    Just have a real hard think before ya do it, just sayin'
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs; Red EVH Hardtail 1993;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;Fender BJ 15W;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post
    will that interfere with the chambered body or better put, will the chambered body interfere with the floyd bridge?
    Oooh, I hadn't thought of this at all, but what Mike said is very important to clarify with customer service or otherwise before proceeding. There are, as I understand it, dozens of small chambers routed out of the thicker, middle layer of the body - you'd want to confirm that either they are not present behind the bridge, or at least that there would be enough remaining top thickness between the new cavity you have made and a chamber beneath it (and that sounds dicey to me if there are chambers behind the bridge).

    I can't recall where, but somewhere I've seen either photos or illustrations of the chambering on the 25th/Reflex bodies that would be useful reference for you.

    Edit: Here's a photo that I believe is a Reflex/25th body in production.

    I want to install a Floyd on my 25th Anniversary. Who has done this?-img_0226-jpg
    Last edited by jones4tone; 03-20-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
JP16