Strap on your style

Thread: Neck Oil > Luke III BFR

User Info Menu

Neck Oil > Luke III BFR

Hey Folks -

Does anyone have a recommendation for what would be the best oil to use for the L III neck. Mine seems like it's getting very dry and didn't want to put the wrong stuff on it and jack it up. Currently I have the Dunlop Fretboard 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil but wanted to double check first.....Thanks in advance!
    2013 Luke III Cardinal Red Sparkle - DOB 11/27/13

User Info Menu

You're better off using Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner. It's Orange Oil based as opposed to Lemon oil, which can damage the fret slots if it seeps into them.
    1993 LUKE I Pearl Blue DOB: 15/12/1993
    1998 LUKE II Luke Blue DOB: 05/10/1998 Signed by Lucious
    2012 LUKE II PDN Classic Honey Burst DOB: 31/08/2012
    2013 LIII HH Bodhi Blue DOB: 17/09/2013

Fractal MFC101
    Matrix GT1000FX
    Marshall 4x12 & 2x12

User Info Menu

I second the EBMM Wonder Wipes. I have used them on my guitars for years and have loved the results. It does really well with roasted necks like on your L3 as well.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black 2HB AL (DOB 12.01.2009)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 3.16.2014)

User Info Menu

Pro forum tip : add site:ernieball.com to your google search terms to find the numerous old threads about this on the forum.
    Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info

Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

An Irishman in Paris, guitar teacher and tech, folder of underpants, stubber of toes.

User Info Menu

Nice tip Dr.! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for the info and the tech tip! Much appreciated!

User Info Menu

First of all, what do you mean with neck? The finger board or the neck itself (where you place your thumb)?

Second, the neck of some guitars is finished with a mix of wax and gunstock oil, that finish is quite soft and sometimes it needs to be removed almost completely and refinished using the same kind of finish, you can get it at some luthier supplies shops.

Third, if you mean fingerboard, here we have 2 options, cleaning products and wood nutrition products. If the fingerboard is dirty you can use several products to clean it, a good option is nafta, beware the vapors, after cleaning it you must treat the wood with some oil, i use olive oil (easy to find in spain, and you only need 20 or 30 drops), keeping in maind that many vegetal oils can rust metals and the amount of oil must be the less possible to avoid it getting under the frets and damage the slots.

So, many products you can find as fretboard conditioners are soft acid cleaners, those remove the dirt (sweat and grease from hands) but then you need to oil the finger with some other product. If you oiled the wood without cleaning it first the grease will seal the pores and the new oil won't penetrate.

User Info Menu

0000 steel wool and Birchwood Casey oil and wax on the neck.
    FretDoctor on the fingerboard. You should be all set.
    Proud Owner:
    2008 AL BFR
    2009 25th Anniversary: Maple/Maple-Trem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdeetoh View Post
    First of all, what do you mean with neck? The finger board or the neck itself (where you place your thumb)?

Second, the neck of some guitars is finished with a mix of wax and gunstock oil, that finish is quite soft and sometimes it needs to be removed almost completely and refinished using the same kind of finish, you can get it at some luthier supplies shops.

Third, if you mean fingerboard, here we have 2 options, cleaning products and wood nutrition products. If the fingerboard is dirty you can use several products to clean it, a good option is nafta, beware the vapors, after cleaning it you must treat the wood with some oil, i use olive oil (easy to find in spain, and you only need 20 or 30 drops), keeping in maind that many vegetal oils can rust metals and the amount of oil must be the less possible to avoid it getting under the frets and damage the slots.

So, many products you can find as fretboard conditioners are soft acid cleaners, those remove the dirt (sweat and grease from hands) but then you need to oil the finger with some other product. If you oiled the wood without cleaning it first the grease will seal the pores and the new oil won't penetrate.
    Fretboard only - Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I went ahead and picked up the EBMM Wonder Wipes so I'm in good shape now folks, much appreciated!