still saving

Atta boy!
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    It uses a buffered dummy-coil ("Silent Circuit") to cancel out some of the hum. But it's not perfect, and it's going to depend on your environment. Also there's a trimpot in the Silent Circuit which allows you to fine tune it a bit.

If you're concerned that it's not working properly, take the battery out while you're sitting there- you should easily be able to hear the difference. If you don't, something's not right.
    where do I find the trimpot, do I have to take all the strings off?
    --
    still saving

Quote Originally Posted by gelvo View Post
    where do I find the trimpot, do I have to take all the strings off?
    On the Valentine it's accessible by removing the back plate... I'd imagine it's the same with the Cutlass. No string removal necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieZ View Post
    On the Valentine it's accessible by removing the back plate... I'd imagine it's the same with the Cutlass. No string removal necessary.
    There is no back plate on a Cutlass (other than the trem cover plate and the battery box) so I imagine you would have to remove the pickguard to get to the circuit board.

I see your point... but I thought they'd have made the pot accessible within the removable trem plate... so removing the strings, etc would be unnecessary. Otherwise it would be difficult to adjust it and test it and then adjust it again. A call to CS to make sure would definitely be recommended before putting in too much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    There is no back plate on a Cutlass (other than the trem cover plate and the battery box) so I imagine you would have to remove the pickguard to get to the circuit board.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieZ View Post
    Otherwise it would be difficult to adjust it and test it and then adjust it again.
    Not at all. The noise picked up (and cancelled) is completely independent of the strings. Next string change, take all the strings off, open it up, and adjust. I would test with the pickguard on the guitar in playing position, rather than lying on it's back. You'll be done in 5 minutes flat. There may be a compromise in dialing in the setting that works best at all frequencies of noise, or perhaps you'll give priority to whatever bothers you most, or maybe none of that will be necessary, but you can be done and ready to restring in ten minutes flat.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Ahhhh. I was thinking of testing and adjusting while playing. I see what you mean. If you're just testing for noise, then you don't need the strings on. My mistake.

And I didn't realize, the adjustment pot(s) for the silent circuit adjust the frequency, not the level of noise reduction?

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Not at all. The noise picked up (and cancelled) is completely independent of the strings. Next string change, take all the strings off, open it up, and adjust. I would test with the pickguard on the guitar in playing position, rather than lying on it's back. You'll be done in 5 minutes flat. There may be a compromise in dialing in the setting that works best at all frequencies of noise, or perhaps you'll give priority to whatever bothers you most, or maybe none of that will be necessary, but you can be done and ready to restring in ten minutes flat.

When I adjusted the trim pot on my Cutlass it did not appear to be frequency specific-went from noisier to somewhat less so,same spectrum the whole length of it's travel(as if you were just turning down the volume knob)...I just set it pretty much to the end that was quieter. They said it is set at factory with a multimeter,but also told me it can be set by ear-they also mentioned it is best to set it with the middle pickup selected,fwiw.

It adjusts the amount of noise reduction, not the frequency. Yes, you have to pick the best level for your needs. I do it by ear.

I sent mine back to factory for a checkup...it will be interesting to see if I was expecting too much,or if there is indeed something amiss with the circuit-I am thinking the latter,but we'll see.

Shortly after that last post i sent the body back to EBMM,and there was indeed a prob with the preamp(which they replaced under warranty)...i am getting it back within the week,looking forward to it working 100%. They were super cool to communicate with,so if the OP is feeling like it *maybe* isn't quite right i would give them a call-can't wait to play it again !

Good news that they identified a problem and are getting it sorted.

On the week I re-strung my guitar and while it was without strings I tested the pot, as a reference I plugged the guitar straight into a clean amp with no pedals, when I plug my Strat into the same amp with the same lead - which has Lace Sensor pickups, it is 100% dead silent. With my Cutlass it is noisey, I adjusted the pot to one extreme where it is very noisy to the other extreme where it is just a little bit noisey. And that is the position I left it in.

When I first got the guitar the tuners were too tight to move so I had to get a screw driver to loosen them enough to use and as soon as I tuned the guitar a string broke on the first day. So I replaced all of the strings the next day. but what I am guessing is that in the trip from America to Australia the guitar might have experienced some low temperatures causing the string to become brittle and the tuners to become too tight.

The strings seem to sit a little too high above the 12th fret which makes me think that the neck also needs adjusting as a result of temperature changes in its journey from America to Australia.

If my theory of the temperate changes is correct, then that might also have an effect on the electronics.

As I live in Adelaide in South Australia, there are no shops for me to go into which stock these guitars for me to test them and compare.
    --
    still saving