Ernie Ball Paradigm
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Cutlass

Unhappy Noisy Cutlass

Hi guys,

I have had my new Cutlass Music Man for a few months now and on the whole I am extremely happy with it.

However it is advertised as having noise reducing electronics in it but mine is still fairly noisey.

As I live in Adelaide there isn't a guitar shop that stocks a full range of Music Man guitars so I cannot just go into a shop and compare one Music Man to another.

When I bought my Cutlass I had to go into a shop and get them to order one in, so I had never tried it before buying, I just had to go buy the demo videos on YouTube.

My Mexican Strat has Gold Lace Sensor Pickups which are almost dead silent, I was expecting the same from my Cutlass. I have tried replacing the battery.

Any Ideas?
    --
    still saving

It uses a buffered dummy-coil ("Silent Circuit") to cancel out some of the hum. But it's not perfect, and it's going to depend on your environment. Also there's a trimpot in the Silent Circuit which allows you to fine tune it a bit.

If you're concerned that it's not working properly, take the battery out while you're sitting there- you should easily be able to hear the difference. If you don't, something's not right.

thank you for getting back to me, I will try the battery test and see what happens
    --
    still saving

I don't think taking the buttery out will work. As far as I recall the cutlass won't work without the battery unlike the previous silent circuit. I'll have to take it out of mine and check

I've found my Cutlass to be very quite up until medium gain. But after a certain point you'll need a noise gate of some sort if you want to keep it dead quiet.

Just to say, I think your Cutlass works just like mine... so hopefully not broken
    1997 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2011 - Reflex - Hardtail - White
    2016 - LIII BFR - HSS - Blueberry Burst Quilt
    2017 - Cutlass - SSS - Vintage Turquoise

I had the same concerns when I received my Valentine. I had no experience with the silent circuit so didn't know what to expect... although I had heard the phrase "dead silent". That is not quite the case. In the Valentine it is most obvious when switching from the single coil to the humbucker(it has both).

The humbucker is, obviously, truly silent. The single coil does still give off some noise, even with the circuit. You can't remove the battery with the current system, but you can test it by using the trim pot within the rear cavity. If you turn it all the way down, you'll get none of the circuit's effectiveness, which should give you the noise level of a standard single coil. Then turn the circuit all the way up and you should hear a significant difference. I have mine set at about 50%.

The system is intended to minimize noise without losing any true single coil sound... so it's a compromise. I was told to expect a about half the noise you'd get with a standard single coil. I find that to be about right.

Hope this helps... and hope you enjoy your Cutlass. I played around with one at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago and found it to feel and sound amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by gelvo View Post
    Hi guys,

I have had my new Cutlass Music Man for a few months now and on the whole I am extremely happy with it.

However it is advertised as having noise reducing electronics in it but mine is still fairly noisey.

As I live in Adelaide there isn't a guitar shop that stocks a full range of Music Man guitars so I cannot just go into a shop and compare one Music Man to another.

When I bought my Cutlass I had to go into a shop and get them to order one in, so I had never tried it before buying, I just had to go buy the demo videos on YouTube.

My Mexican Strat has Gold Lace Sensor Pickups which are almost dead silent, I was expecting the same from my Cutlass. I have tried replacing the battery.

Any Ideas?

Ah yes, good point- you can't take out the batter since that kills the buffer. (I'm still living the pre-preamp era with my MMs.)

It's also possible that noise is coming from your power somewhere. One thing that struck me is your comment about your gold lace sensors being "almost dead silent". I used to own a Beck Strat with those pickups and they were DEAD DEAD DEAD silent. I mean no noise period!

So, if you're getting any noise with those golds, your noise issue may lay outside of your guitars and be generating somewhere else. Just something to consider. You can test by bringing your guitar somewhere else with good clean power. Where that might be where you live - I have no idea. That part is up to you!
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

Lace sensors are pretty much dead quiet. Noise reducing system reduce the noise that would normally be picked up by single coils by 50%-70%, depending on who you ask. The lowest frequency 50/60 Hz hum can be reduced very effectively, but there are many sources of other noise and buzz (that many people mistakenly think is '60 cylce' hum) and they can be harder to remove without using hum-cancelling pickups or pickup combinations.
    An Irishman in Paris...
    2005 LE Buttercream Silhouette Special

Forum Rules and Useful MM Guitar Info
    Required reading - Forum Decorum

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

I do not work for EBMM. I'm just a moderator.

Sometimes computer equipment or other electronics nearby can introduce noise, even to humbucking pickups.
    EBMM Axis Super Sport (Pacific Blue Burst)
    EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 SSH Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Majesty (Iced Crimson)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream Fully Loaded)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

wow I am amazed at how helpful the people on the forum is, thank you all for your feedback.
    --
    still saving

Don't be. We're just really sad and/or my daughter is wiping yoghurt in her hair as I type this.
    An Irishman in Paris...

Gelvo - welcome to the family and congrats on the Cutlass!! Did I miss the NGD post? If you haven't yet you have to post some pics! We have a rule - no pics no guitar! As you can see this is a great place to talk MM or even SBMM guitars! Stick around!
    SBMM JV60 w/flame roasted maple neck/dealer split HB upgrade S/N SG34682
    Vox VT20+
    Zoom G3X
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

Quote Originally Posted by edhalen View Post
    Gelvo - welcome to the family and congrats on the Cutlass!! Did I miss the NGD post? If you haven't yet you have to post some pics! We have a rule - no pics no guitar! As you can see this is a great place to talk MM or even SBMM guitars! Stick around!
    That is an excellent point! I believe we've already breached forum protocol by offering advice for a guitar we've not yet seen.
    Greg

2010 HH AL
    2001 MM90 AL

Dr. Z Stingray
    Orange RV50
    Dr. Z DB4

I'll have to moderate my ass off until he posts pictures. Come on, Gelvo!
    An Irishman in Paris...